Pilbara Mines

spud-u-like

Hi All,

Ive been offered a position with a large mining company in the Pilbara region of WA, I'll initially be on a years unaccompanied probation but guaranteed Oz residency (initially going on a 457 visa) on completion.

The company have offered me 8 weeks on, 2 wks off, flying back to my family back in the UK all paid for, or they will fly my wife over.

My questions are -

1. What would be a great place to live in this area (coastal preferably)

2. Can anyone recommend a good property agent

3. Has anyone got any advise on fly in/fly out contracts

Many thanks in advance Spudulike:biggrin:

This is a good website, it will give you an idea of how big the Pilbara region is, and has an interactive map. I have lived in Karratha a couple of times, also Port Hedland and Newman (east Pilbara region), and have driven around a lot of the Pilbara. It is VERY hot and dry and some areas are very isolated.

http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/Destinations_of_the_North_West/The_Pilbara

8 weeks on 2 weeks off seems a bit mental. I have been in touch with employers who offer 3/1, 6/2 and 15/6 but I guess if they are having to pay for return flights to the UK every 10 weeks that might be why.

What company will you be working for out there and what will you be doing? I have heard that some of the accommodation etc. at the mines can be rough and the heat/dust gets to some people but I am more than happy to give it a go considering the money thats available!!!

Let us know how you get on!!!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update (for those that are interested :biggrin:) -

1. Salary and benefits template received from new employer (Rio Tinto) 3 Nov 11

2. Passport scan sent off, via recruitment agent in the UK - 3 Nov 11

3. Provisional medical booked - 25 Nov 11 in Manchester

4. CRB checks on going

Just awaiting formal employment contract (subject to passing medical) arriving.

More news to follow on

Guest Lister1987

Nope im still in glasgow just now.

my m8's cousin got a job offer with no experience, i think he went through a recruitment agency tho

I think it depends on what you do, should be ways in. My bf was trying to get over into the mines operating the machinery but there wasnt a way in, its not even on the 457 list. I think things are changing next year, they are needing a lot more workers in the mines so i think they will take people with little experience. Just depends on what you do. Just keep trying

Just a quick update (for those that are interested :biggrin:) -

1. Salary and benefits template received from new employer (Rio Tinto) 3 Nov 11

2. Passport scan sent off, via recruitment agent in the UK - 3 Nov 11

3. Provisional medical booked - 25 Nov 11 in Manchester

4. CRB checks on going

Just awaiting formal employment contract (subject to passing medical) arriving.

More news to follow on

Thats great news! My husband is in a similar position, he's awaiting his formal contract from Rio Tinto too. He's been offered a job in Paraburdoo, which part of the Pilbara are you heading to?

• 2 weeks later...
Going to based in Perth but traveling around all the Iron Ore sites in the Pilbara (Tom Price, Karatha etc)........bit sketchy as to my exact role as I'm their first UK guy doing the job!!

Good one, mate.icon14.gif

Dunno what you're like with the flying bit, but oh, boy!!! there is some VERY bumpy air turbulence around the Mt. Tom Price area.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi mate

Would you know if your company are looking for non-experienced mine workers. Im currently a plumbing and heating engineer in UK, but have previous experience operating plant machinery in the golf course construction industry. I moving to Perth in January, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Guest lol1984

FIFO from the UK is HARD!

My partner did it for 10 months up until August this year to Karratha on a 6 week on/3 week off roster. Travel was in his own time and once you take jet lag into consideration too he had about 2 good weeks at home. And when he was home I was working so we didn't get a great deal of time to spend together. He was employed by a UK company earning UK wages, which turned out to be less than the cleaners on site in Karratha!

We ended up moving down here permanently and he now has a residential job with a different company. I reckon we could have done it for a few more months but it was exceptionally hard work for me emotionally, would not want to go through that again.

So would you be doing the 8/2 roster indefinitely even when you get residency? Or after the year's probation would they ship your whole family down?

Just for info in case anyone interested - the red hot job at the moment is being a safety officer on some of these sights - thought I'd mention it as I have being doing H&S stuff and always being asked about going to mines. Just a thought if anyone wanted a way in. By the way, a former PIO member who went to Hedland made the comment "it was like going to Mars" - just so you are prepared. Some will love it, others not, good luck all of you who are trying it.

Just for info in case anyone interested - the red hot job at the moment is being a safety officer on some of these sights - thought I'd mention it as I have being doing H&S stuff and always being asked about going to mines. Just a thought if anyone wanted a way in. By the way, a former PIO member who went to Hedland made the comment "it was like going to Mars" - just so you are prepared. Some will love it, others not, good luck all of you who are trying it.

Hedland is dry,dusty and as red as Mars.

Archived