agent or not

rob dc

Hi

If your application is pretty straight forward I'd say save your money and do it yourself. We are. There's loads of info out there. Stick to the official websites such as DIAC and follow their suggested links. This forum is brilliant to get the hints and tips about the whole process. If in doubt - post a question and there'll be someone here who's done it before you!

The key is research, research and then research some more.

Good luck.

Guest jamesandstephcole

We are going with an agent - and whilst their input has been very useful, they represent a delay in proceedings, our agent is still looking at our skills assessment application and they received it 4 weeks ago... this process teaches you patience if nothing else!

I'll second jamesnparrys' post. If you easily reach the points, are good with form filling and copious research then have a go at DIY. Depends a lot on your particular circumstances and the type of visa you are going for.

There are some very good agents and if you have the cash and like to have things "managed" by all means give them your wonga !

Personally I like being in control of it all and not have to rely on a middle man.

Justin:wink:

thanks for the answers, we have decided to do the application ourselves as ours seems to be (so far) a pretty straight forward one. looks like the first thing we have to do is the vetasses for my partners job as she is on the skills wanted list and we are doing the state sponsored visa application so lots of photocopying etc to do and pay the money and wait, the web site says weeks but one of the agents we spoke to said its taking 4 to 6 months, wether thats the vetasses or the agents delay we will have to see. Any info or insight into the process if you have been through this bit would be interesting, thanks again

thanks for the answers, we have decided to do the application ourselves as ours seems to be (so far) a pretty straight forward one. looks like the first thing we have to do is the vetasses for my partners job as she is on the skills wanted list and we are doing the state sponsored visa application so lots of photocopying etc to do and pay the money and wait, the web site says weeks but one of the agents we spoke to said its taking 4 to 6 months, wether thats the vetasses or the agents delay we will have to see. Any info or insight into the process if you have been through this bit would be interesting, thanks again

VETASSESS took forever with me and although there probably will be the slight delay because of agent workloads the actual stamp on my assessment was 12th August...i applied in March and they charged my credit card 9th March. so you do have to be patient! i was hoping to get it all done and dusted before the 1st July deadline.

Guest nikkidel
we did ours ourself, take your time when filling out the forms the worst part is the processing times, for us it was the state sponsorship we waited over 5 weeks for.

5 weeks sounds great - we waited for about 4 months!:wideeyed:

We used an agent. Their customer service was pretty appalling, and often along the way we thought things would have been far easier if we'd just done them ourselves. However I do think that having an agent who knew the whole process was a good thing - just would have been better if it hadn't taken 2 or 3 weeks for them to get back to us every time we called or emailed them.

Hiya All!

I am having the same dilemma ... My application seems to be pretty straight forward, am planning on getting my skills assessed / IETLS test done myself before instructing an agent so have started to think that I might go it alone!

My concern is this, I would like to go to Perth as I have family there but my job (Primary School Teacher) has been taken off the 175 list. Is there a way around this? Is there a tick box on an application form asking which state you intend to settle in? So far, I have spoken to 2 agents, one said that she could get me an extra 5 points on my application if we go to SA and the other said he was confident he could get us into WA and that they would give us the extra 5 points too!

Friends of ours have just had their visa granted and they were told that they could only go to SA at the beginning of their application and have since been granted a visa going to WA. Too confusing!

I would really appreciate any advice!!

Eve xx

There's going to be a lot of heartache in the middle of next year when a fair few of those who have had a go themselves find they need the assistance of an agent and don't have time to lodge an application before the Expressions of Interest model comes into effect on 01/07/2012.

Good luck to all who decide to progress unassisted on the basis of saving money. But if you are unsuccessful please don't say you weren't warned.

Best regards.

We did everything ourselves and it was as easy as. Seriously, if you have half a brain and a non-complicated case (whether before or after the EoI comes in) I cannot see why you would use an agent, unless you have piles of money and no time to do a bit of research. Agents are great if you have a complex case (ie medical or criminal issues) but if you are straightforward then it really is very very easy (ie, you put your name in the 'name' box, you put your passport number in the 'passport number' box) and the points list isn't exactly the hardest thing in the world to understand either. EoI doesn't change anything imho - I went through the EoI system when I went to NZ years ago and it was just the same as without an EoI imho, just another step in proceedings and makes it a much fairer system on those who don't read the points threshold (because you don't pay until you are invited to apply for the actual visa, and therefore don't pay just to be declined as you can be presently).

I keep hearing of several simple straightforward cases where agents have got it horribly horribly wrong (to do with teachers where agents have told them there are no problems applying with a GTP qualification or a 3 year degree and so on - have to say I probably hear about it because people email us on the blog asking for advice (and on forums) due to me being a teacher and a mouthy one lol), which imho just goes to show that just because someone is a MARA registered agent, it is no guarantee of them being any good. I think the problem lies in the simple vs complex case issue - perhaps having a simple case is just too simple for most agents when they spend most of their time on more complex cases? Who knows, but I know imho its a waste of money to pay someone else to just be a go-between if you have a straightforward case.

EvieL8 - If you are applying on Primary Teacher then you aren't going to get into WA (due to it not being on the SSML), so I wouldn't believe an agent on that one - and generally schools don't sponsor teachers, especially Primary school teachers for an employee visa, as they don't need to (more than enough teachers, especially Primary, in Oz already). It is on the SSML for SA (along with the 5 points), and whilst there is a moral obligation to live in SA for 2 years following arrival in Australia, this is only a moral obligation, so you could always move to WA. The 176 goes through a lot quicker than the 175 as well (ours took about 3 weeks). However, Primary teachers are not in demand as much as they have us believe, in Metro areas, it's much like the teaching situation in the UK.

There's going to be a lot of heartache in the middle of next year when a fair few of those who have had a go themselves find they need the assistance of an agent and don't have time to lodge an application before the Expressions of Interest model comes into effect on 01/07/2012.

Good luck to all who decide to progress unassisted on the basis of saving money. But if you are unsuccessful please don't say you weren't warned.

Best regards.

I think i will second that! I know paying for an agent is costly but at least they know what they are doing and are experts in their fields! Ii don't think iw ould like to go it alone!

Money probably worth spent in my opinion...how much would you price your dream at?

Hoping to be in Aus in the not to distant future...Still got some hurdles to jump though but should have lodged by the time the changes come in next year...(waiting for state sponsorship and getting 8s in all areas of IELTS)...managaed 9s in 3 and a 7.5 in one in my second test my first test i had the 8 in the same part as the 7.5 in the second test...very frustrating!

We did everything ourselves and it was as easy as. Seriously, if you have half a brain and a non-complicated case (whether before or after the EoI comes in) I cannot see why you would use an agent, unless you have piles of money and no time to do a bit of research.

<snip>

I could equally argue that anyone with half a brain would not take risks with what is likely to be one of the most significant steps in a person's life.

Penny wise, pound foolish, and all that.

Indeed, and with respect PP, I put it to you that you have had detailed experience of one Australian visa application: yours. While you say you have had no problems with your application it is a tad arrogant to make assertions in the manner of your last posting. You are likely to offend a fair few with your choice of words ...

Best regards.

We decided to do ours ourselves. We've (so far) got a pretty simple uncomplicated case and really is quite easy to fill the forms out.

Do loads of research, read the DIAC website, this website, ask all ur odd questions and get involved.

Maybe if ur worried, do ur skills assessment on ur own to see how u get on before paying out?

I could understand it maybe if u have a complicated case, but I didn't like the fact that u had to pay a huge amount of money up front with no real guarrantee of anything.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.266935,-0.889534

We decided to do ours ourselves.

<snip>

I could understand it maybe if u have a complicated case, but I didn't like the fact that u had to pay a huge amount of money up front with no real guarrantee of anything.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.266935,-0.889534

How much were you being asked to pay up front?

Best regards.

With respect I think its scaremongering to say that so many people who do their own visa app will have problems. People need to make their own assessment as to their abilities and the complexity of their applications. Also there is no point in ignoring the fact that not all agents are created equal! Clearly people have a lot of problems with slow response times at the least and terrible advice at worst.

I'm a lawyer so a well used to lawyer bashing by people who have no idea what they are talking about, so I have some sympathy with you Alan, but I don't think it helps to ignore peoples' genuinely poor experiences and say that in all cases using an agent is the better way to go.

We did our own app and had no issues at all, and for someone with my personality type (i.e. control freak!!) it would have been incredibly frustrating to have to wait for someone else to rubber stamp documents. We gathered all of the documents first, and ultimately got our 176 about 30 -40 days after application.

So to each their own! I would say do your research first, make an honest assessment as to how comfortable you are dealing with documents and how much time and effort you are willing to put in to getting things exactly right - a straight-forward application is not rocket science but it is complicated and enormously time consuming. At the same time do your research about agents - who is consistently recommended etc - and price check etc. I strongly feel that cheapest is NOT always best but I think you can get a good feel for how professional an agency is in your initial contact with them - do they return calls quickly, can you speak to the same person each time if you call a few times, does it seem like that person deals with cases like yours all the time and is very familiar, is your quote in writing, detailed and easily understood etc etc. Then make your best judgement call!

Best of luck everyone!

Kate.

With respect I think its scaremongering to say that so many people who do their own visa app will have problems. People need to make their own assessment as to their abilities and the complexity of their applications. Also there is no point in ignoring the fact that not all agents are created equal! Clearly people have a lot of problems with slow response times at the least and terrible advice at worst.

I'm a lawyer so a well used to lawyer bashing by people who have no idea what they are talking about, so I have some sympathy with you Alan, but I don't think it helps to ignore peoples' genuinely poor experiences and say that in all cases using an agent is the better way to go.

<snip>

Best of luck everyone!

Kate.

Hello Kate!

I have no doubt that some have poor experiences with some migration agents.

I also acknowledge that a fair few are more than capable of handling a visa application unaided by a professional advisor.

I will take some persuading though to move from my position that using a competent and experienced migration agent reduces the risk of an adverse outcome, or indeed of missing an application deadline.

While many may not see the process the same way as me, it is my opinion that there is no certainty about the outcome of a visa application. There is thus a risk in not achieving what you want.

The question is then: are you prepared to pay a fee to a competent professional advisor to give yourself a better chance of success.

As to choosing an agent, aside from the recommendations on PiO this website is as good a resource as any:

http://migrationagentreviews.com/australia-agent-reviews.html

Best regards.

I think all the mention of this eoi coming in next year is definately scaremongering people, I cannot see how it is so different, NZ have used this system for ages its basically a computer scoring you , which decides how the eoi is sent out, at down under live this weekend another agent explained this new system and how it works and loads of people were asking questions which to be fair he answered honestly even if it meant turning away business.

I agree with the above post, it is down to how each individual personally assess their own case, I am fortunate that I now have my visa which I did myself, it was no straight forward case and I saved on the £1,800 I was quoted for an agent to do it.

I was not happy with my quote as I still (like everyone else) had to gather and provide all of the information required, so I just filled in the online form myself.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/skillselect-faq.pdf

I admire your faith in Government. If you have a look at the attached you will note that from 01/07/2012 you would be putting trust in the Department of Immigration - with what presently seems to be a notable lack of transparency.

Indeed, the attached FAQ notes that:

"After the initial selection round scheduled for January 2013, it is intended that invitations for migration under the points tested visa categories would be issued at regularly scheduled intervals after that."

In other words, it will be at least 6 months after the new system is introduced before anyone receives an invitation from DIAC to progress a general skilled visa application.

And thereafter? Well it depends on what is a " ... regularly scheduled interval."

How would you feel, bensdad, about lodging a visa application under that regime, compared with the system under which you applied earlier this year?

Would you prefer to lodge a skilled application on the basis of a relatively known timeline and strategy, or under one where you have no idea whether you will be invited to apply for a visa?

It is my view that it is far preferable to be in a position to apply for a general skilled visa on the basis of what is known now - ie before 30/06/2012 - rather than finding oneself in a database where there is no indication of where you rank relative to others, with a real risk that you are limbo for years.

Hope this clarifies my stance on the matter.

Best regards.

I agree with you Alan. This new EOI model is only to help the DIAC, for them just to pick and choose who they want to give visas too, also to help them not have the back log of applicants that they have and not have any Cat 5.

Since you still needed to do the skills assessment and IELTS before you apply, if you never get an invitation , thats money that you have spent out that you wont get back.

Also just getting to the 65 points may no longer be enough as it is just now, since you are now in competion with eveyone who has the same occupation as you, and a set number of invitations per occupation per each round of invites. If you have a popular occupation and just the 65 points you could be waiting a long time to get an invite if ever in the 2 years you stay in the list.

Not really a fair system that you are eligible and have 65 points, needed but never get to apply, because there are others that are slightly better than you.

Until it comes into effect we dont know what its going to be like new applicants, but as a rule, as the years go on DIAC are making things harder and only want the best english speakers....

I might get a load of negative responses here, but I don't think DIAC should be criticised for wanting the best candidates that fill their current every changing needs.

Poor immigration policies in the Uk (mainly because of being part of the eu) are part of my reasoning for wanting to leave the Uk and yes if I was in their situation I would want the best English speaking people I could get.

I agree however that they should be clear so everyone knows where they stand. If a cat 5 is never realistically going to get looked at what's the point of it. You read about the length of time people have been waiting must be a nightmare and that's not fair on anyone!!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.266898,-0.889571

I might get a load of negative responses here, but I don't think DIAC should be criticised for wanting the best candidates that fill their current every changing needs.

Poor immigration policies in the Uk (mainly because of being part of the eu) are part of my reasoning for wanting to leave the Uk and yes if I was in their situation I would want the best English speaking people I could get.

I agree however that they should be clear so everyone knows where they stand. If a cat 5 is never realistically going to get looked at what's the point of it. You read about the length of time people have been waiting must be a nightmare and that's not fair on anyone!!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.266898,-0.889571

In general, I have no issue with the objective.

It is the lack of transparency insofar as applicants are concerned that bothers me - and (with all due respect to the DIAC persons who visit these forums in the background from time to time) the failure to have regard to the long term consequences of this change.

Australia functions in a global market for skilled candidates - we've seen what a glorified mess the Aussie Government has made of the student program in the last 4 years, and I don't have a lot of confidence that what is being proposed here will serve Australia well either.

Best regards.

Archived