Anyone moving to Gladstone in 2011/2012?

Guest BigLib

Our son is at a private school. They are much more affordable here.

We chose that for him because it is a faith-based school (they all are, I think) and it is small.Ours is linked with our church so it is a real community thing for us. We are really happy with it. Sadly we only go up to year 10 at the moment so he may be moving to another high school next year unless we expand this year. Not a problem, all the kids transition well.

thanks buddysmum,

Do you know if there is any difference in the quality of the education?I have no problem with my kids learning about religion but we are not religious at all so that might feel bit akward to us but obviously I want what is the best for my boys:)

Thank you for all the very useful information you are sharing here it`s very much apprecieted by all of us:wink:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is no advantage over private schools in Gladstone & Boyne Tannum. It's just that they are faith based which isn't what I felt my children needed to learn in school. They can go to church if they wish to learn about religon etc.. I have had one of my children go to Tannum primary and one went to Boyne Primary. The eldest liked the larger school at Tannum, my youngest preferred the smaller classes at Boyne. All 3 of my children went to Tannum High which gets excellent results, teachers are great to deal with and it has so many opportunities for children and subjects/clubs/events etc.. I have never in 8 years had any issue with the High school nor have my friends. All my children have had so much fun there, heaps of friends and no problems.

There are no bad areas in Boyne/Tannum to avoid. Just some areas are older than others. Even Gladstone doesn't really have any bad areas. It's not like been in Manchester or any other big city which often has areas you wouldn't go to.

Anything else you want to know just ask:)

There really is no advantage over private schools in Gladstone & Boyne Tannum. It's just that they are faith based which isn't what I felt my children needed to learn in school. They can go to church if they wish to learn about religon etc.. I have had one of my children go to Tannum primary and one went to Boyne Primary. The eldest liked the larger school at Tannum, my youngest preferred the smaller classes at Boyne. All 3 of my children went to Tannum High which gets excellent results, teachers are great to deal with and it has so many opportunities for children and subjects/clubs/events etc.. I have never in 8 years had any issue with the High school nor have my friends. All my children have had so much fun there, heaps of friends and no problems.

There are no bad areas in Boyne/Tannum to avoid. Just some areas are older than others. Even Gladstone doesn't really have any bad areas. It's not like been in Manchester or any other big city which often has areas you wouldn't go to.

Anything else you want to know just ask:)

Thanks a lot jt950, great information! And a relief about the schools and Tannum sands/boyne:) would you Know anything about rentals- how hard it is to get a house( some of my friends had to bribe estate agent in Perth to get a decent house!!), what sort of paperwork the estate agents would be looking for ? Any recommendation for short term accommodation ?

Thanks very much, really appreciate your help :)

Hi Katerina

To get a house you need id, aussie driving licence if possible (or uk one). Another form of id such as a medicare card etc. Best way to get a house is to show a bank statement with a reasonable bank balance on applying (handing in completed applications) and be prepared to pay maybe one of 2 months rent upfront to give you a better chance of getting the house. Rentals are pretty fierce at the moment. Present yourself well, show you can afford the house, have some photo id and job offer confirmation if you have it and you should be fine. We got our house when we first came here by paying a chunk of rent in advance.

Thanks a lot jt950, great information! And a relief about the schools and Tannum sands/boyne:) would you Know anything about rentals- how hard it is to get a house( some of my friends had to bribe estate agent in Perth to get a decent house!!), what sort of paperwork the estate agents would be looking for ? Any recommendation for short term accommodation ?

Thanks very much, really appreciate your help :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wanna b warm

Our 457 visa was granted today! So we will be in Gladstone or there abouts soon. I'm still hoping for tannum/boyne island! Be great to meet up with any of you when we get there and any advice at all about anything would be great.

How are you all coping with the weather conditions I hear it's not been good?!?

Hi Wanna b Warm

Congratualtions on your visa! It's going to be such an exciting time. Looking back it was almost magical for us. We only had panic attacks the first evening we arrived in Brisbane as it was pitch dark and we were picked up from the airport by a company who rent out properties for very brief periods whilst you find you feet. It's so dark on the roads here at night compared to Uk unless you are in the city, we felt very lost and out of depth for a short while! The first morning we woke up was amazing all the parrots in the trees and glorious blue skies. We were filled with excitement for our forthcoming adventures! We've had so many here:)

The weather here is now sunny again with the odd shower. We've had a lot of rain. Most of us escaped the flooding except Barney Point which it hit badly in some spots, and missed some streets. A whole section of Old Tannum Sands Road lifted as if peeled with a potato peeler and the road lines swerved across the road into the bushland. It's hard to explain and I didn't get a photo but it looked very bizarre!

My advice before you come is go to the dentist and get any work done as dentists are expensive over here.

I would be very happy to meet you for coffee at Coffee Club in Tannum when you are settled. Just send me a PM:)

Anything else you are wondering about, just ask!

Kind regards

Julie

Guest Wanna b warm

Hi Julie

I'm already on to the dentist lol... going to get the kids in for a check too. Had read on here they were expensive which is not good!

Glad to here the storm damage wasnt too bad. It's difficult to comprehend what such extreme weather is like, we just don't have anything like that here.

Will definately be in touch when we'v arrived if not before with daft questions! Thankyou.

Emma

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lynch Mob

Hi everyone.

i just wanted to pop in and let you know WE'RE HERE!!!!!!

chris has started his new job today and I'm trying to I've things a home in the staff house. Are we able to meet up with any of you. We'll only be here for 4 weeks or so.

Thanks

Viki

Hi Wanna b Warm

Congratualtions on your visa! It's going to be such an exciting time. Looking back it was almost magical for us. We only had panic attacks the first evening we arrived in Brisbane as it was pitch dark and we were picked up from the airport by a company who rent out properties for very brief periods whilst you find you feet. It's so dark on the roads here at night compared to Uk unless you are in the city, we felt very lost and out of depth for a short while! The first morning we woke up was amazing all the parrots in the trees and glorious blue skies. We were filled with excitement for our forthcoming adventures! We've had so many here:)

The weather here is now sunny again with the odd shower. We've had a lot of rain. Most of us escaped the flooding except Barney Point which it hit badly in some spots, and missed some streets. A whole section of Old Tannum Sands Road lifted as if peeled with a potato peeler and the road lines swerved across the road into the bushland. It's hard to explain and I didn't get a photo but it looked very bizarre!

My advice before you come is go to the dentist and get any work done as dentists are expensive over here.

I would be very happy to meet you for coffee at Coffee Club in Tannum when you are settled. Just send me a PM:)

Anything else you are wondering about, just ask!

Kind regards

Julie

Hi Julie- are you in Tannum ? we have ben here 8 weeks...fancy meeting up ??

Hi everyone.

i just wanted to pop in and let you know WE'RE HERE!!!!!!

chris has started his new job today and I'm trying to I've things a home in the staff house. Are we able to meet up with any of you. We'll only be here for 4 weeks or so.

Thanks

Hi Viki- are you in Tannum or Gladstone ? send me a pm when you can and maybe we can meet ( weve been here for 8 weeks).

Virginia

Guest Wanna b warm

We will be arriving in Gladstone on Anzacs day! Company has found us a rental in Clinton! Be great to meet you all finally!

How long did it take you to get over your jet lag?

Hi

It took us around 3 days. We used to all collapse and fall asleep very early evening when we first got here! But that's over 8 years ago now:biggrin:

Hope you have a safe trip and be great to have a coffee when you have got over the jetlag etc..

It's a beautiful day today with a strong breeze. Chilly on a morning, but I suppose that depends how early you get up!

Hi BuddysMum

That sounds lovely, I'll come along. x Julie

Hi everyone , we finally made it over :)

we are staying in Rocky for 2 weeks and want to move to Tannum or Gladstone after that.

We are viewing a house close to the Gladstone marina today ( 13 central la) do you think it's a good idea to live close to the marina?

we are viewing another 2 in Tannum close to the river, I am bit concern about the floods

thanks for any info

Hey everyone anyone who's already in Gladstone do you have an recruitment agency names or companies that are there you could give me i move to rocky in about 6 weeks and really want try and line up a job so i can stop worrying about money. Im an analytical chemist so lab/science industry any help would be great :)

I personally wouldn't live on Central Lane, but go see the house. If its really nice and the road and neighbours seem ok then go for it.

As far as flooding is concerned, check out which. Areal have been hit in the past. My perception is that the floods affected the roads in and out of Tannum rather than homes.

I personally wouldn't live on Central Lane, but go see the house. If its really nice and the road and neighbours seem ok then go for it.

As far as flooding is concerned, check out which. Areal have been hit in the past. My perception is that the floods affected the roads in and out of Tannum rather than homes.

Thanks buddy's mum, if you don't mind me asking why you wouldn't like to live there? House looks very nice on the photo but reality might be different.. Will see in few Hours:)

Just had a look on Google Earth. I drove past that house last night. Central lane tends to be a fairly transient area. Lots of rentals as far as I am aware, and you have a block of serviced apartments opposite you so lots of workers coming and going.

The road itself can be a bit of a rat run (that's why I was using it!) but it's not too busy.

I would think that the lower end, where you are looking, might be the better end.

Do you have kids? (Sorry, I can't remember and I'm in a bit of a rush). If not, then go for it. It would be nice and central.

If you do have kids, then not ideal IMO.

Take a look at it and see what you think.

Just had a look on Google Earth. I drove past that house last night. Central lane tends to be a fairly transient area. Lots of rentals as far as I am aware, and you have a block of serviced apartments opposite you so lots of workers coming and going.

The road itself can be a bit of a rat run (that's why I was using it!) but it's not too busy.

I would think that the lower end, where you are looking, might be the better end.

Do you have kids? (Sorry, I can't remember and I'm in a bit of a rush). If not, then go for it. It would be nice and central.

If you do have kids, then not ideal IMO.

Take a look at it and see what you think.

Thanks buddysmum, we are here now and the house is very run down ! And we haven't seen it inside yet..so it's a no no for sure !

Archived