Anyone moving to Gladstone in 2011/2012?

Guest BigLib

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all, hope you are all well. Can anyone tell me if there is farmers market in Tannum/Gladstone? Butcher?? The meat section in Woollworth (Boyne) is not great

thanks

Hi Katerina

No, there is no farmers market like nearer Brisbane for meat. There is an organic meat supplier from Rocky who comes down here on a weekly basis but I'm a vegetarian, so I can't help you with a number for him!

Hi Katerina

No, there is no farmers market like nearer Brisbane for meat. There is an organic meat supplier from Rocky who comes down here on a weekly basis but I'm a vegetarian, so I can't help you with a number for him!

Thanks jt95, would you know if there is vegetable/ fruit market around here?

Thanks

Hi Katerina

Calliope Markets held once a month are crafts and fruit and veg. There really isn't anything like the Cleveland Markets for instance or Chandler Markets. There are a few fruit shops including Tannum Fruit and Veg which may have some things cheaper but really we are lacking farmers markets sadly.

Hi all,

Have been following this thread recently after being directed to potential work in Gladstone by the millers. Thanks millers. Hope you are settling in and enjoying life in Tannum/Gladstone.

We are looking at moving over before Sep 2012 and have PR already. We are unceratin of where we are going to settle yet. Jobs will probably determine this. We have definitely chosen the East coast due to there being, in our view, more on offer to us as a family. We came over in 2007 and travelled extensively for the purpose of determining a state but we now need to narrow that further. We hadn't concidered a town such as Gladstone due to its perceived remoteness and had focussed on the area between the Gold Coast up to Brisbane initially because of the variety of stuff on offer and the probability of gaining employment being easier. This may/may not be the case. Our search continues.

I have an open option and I am concidering applying for employment within the mining industry but unsure if the FIFO is a suitable option for me and the family. Hardly worth migrating and then not seeing the family for weeks at a time. It is my understanding that Gladstone is a residential mining community meaning that workers are home every night with the family. Is this the case?

What is your work/life balance like in Gladstone? Is there enough for the adults and is there enough for the kids?

Is there enough long term employment? Me....Heavy Plant Machinery Operator/Mechanic.... Dozers, Graders, Bucket Loaders etc Fork Lift Instructor. Wife.....NVQ3 Carer in residential home but will do anything else. 17 year old son wants to start an apprentiship, potentially in mining or engineering.

We are a family of 3 (me 44, wife 46 & 17 year old son). We like the outdoors, weather, beach and sea and myself & son enjoy the surf, snorkelling and are both PADI scuba divers. The wife likes the sand and a towel and is not too fussed about the rest. The work/life balance is important to us.

All advise and experiences greatly welcomed.

Thanks for that jt950 there is actually one in Caliope this sun and on sat there is an family day/ markets/ arts on the Tannum esplanade!!

jackin the box we are here only 3 weeks and my husband doesn't work in the mines, he is in sales, at home every night around 4-5 and off at the weekends so can't help you much , sorry

i would just say that I don't think Gladstone is remote at all, it is very industrial which is great for work/ business and that's way we are living on Boyne island :) my kids are only 2 &3 so probably dif interests than your son lol

all together it's nice relaxed place to live in my opinion

Thanks for that jt950 there is actually one in Caliope this sun and on sat there is an family day/ markets/ arts on the Tannum esplanade!!

jackin the box we are here only 3 weeks and my husband doesn't work in the mines, he is in sales, at home every night around 4-5 and off at the weekends so can't help you much , sorry

i would just say that I don't think Gladstone is remote at all, it is very industrial which is great for work/ business and that's way we are living on Boyne island :) my kids are only 2 &3 so probably dif interests than your son lol

all together it's nice relaxed place to live in my opinion

Thanks Katerina.....hope you are settling in to your new life.

What is you impression of Boyne Island? Infrastructure, roads facilities etc? Did you find it easy to get accommodation? What rental range would i be looking at for 2 adults and a 17 year old lad with a guitar. Not looking for anything flash with a pool or anything like that, just something decent that we can relax in before potentially buying our own. Son will need to make his way and find friends his age too.

It's like waiting for the night shift to relieve the day shift this immigration lark. Wake up will ya Australia.

I lost connection on my iPhone last night, sorry, only getting Telstra broadband in next week.

Road from Boyne to Gladstone is fine, Gladstone to Rocky not great, highway nowhere near the European standards, speed limit 100 km/h and police is strict- husband was going 113 while overtaking a truck and got 3 points and $200 fine!

There are lots of playgrounds, parks with clean toilets and public BBQ, all very well looked after, there are family days out organised by local council.. etc

cant comment on schools or local public transport

beach in Tannum is fabulous , people surfing and kite surfing there

we haven't done any scuba yet( no time) but barrier reef is at our doorstep so I think it will be awesome lol

We found nice modern 3 bed house in 2 days for $560 a week, cheapest we saw was $450 and there is no limit , check out domain.com.au or realestate.com.au

As I said we are here only 3 weeks so still finding our ways around!!

Hi

Gladstone is not remote, funny how all english people think that. It has reasonable facitlites including shops, hospitals etc and lots of schools. You do find that most Australians will drive long distances as if it is nothing, including us now. Frequent 6 hour drives to Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast (4 - 5 hours) are very common just to go away for a weekend. Something which you wouldn't do in the UK. I've been here over 8 years now. If you are from somehwere like Manchester for instance then Gladstone will be very different and more like a small rural town such as maybe Brighouse town centre size wise. If I was choosing I would stay away from the Gold Coast, crime/drugs are escalating there and it has many issues. Outskirts of Brisbane are lovely including Redland Bay and Victoria Point although these suburbs are around 40 mins out of the city.

I'm 43, my husband is nearly 47 and our 3 children more or less grew up here. Two have now left home. If you love the beach you will love Tannum. I find Gladstone/Boyne/Tannum lacks a lot socially so you need a good circle of friends have have to look for activites to be involved in. There isn't a lot of entertainment or heaps of places to eat out.

Long term we won't stay here. It's been wonderful for us but now we seek more than it has to offer.

The majority of workers are home at night rather than working away for weeks at a time.

Anything else you would like to know, please ask.

Thanks JT

Hi all,

Have been following this thread recently after being directed to potential work in Gladstone by the millers. Thanks millers. Hope you are settling in and enjoying life in Tannum/Gladstone.

We are looking at moving over before Sep 2012 and have PR already. We are unceratin of where we are going to settle yet. Jobs will probably determine this. We have definitely chosen the East coast due to there being, in our view, more on offer to us as a family. We came over in 2007 and travelled extensively for the purpose of determining a state but we now need to narrow that further. We hadn't concidered a town such as Gladstone due to its perceived remoteness and had focussed on the area between the Gold Coast up to Brisbane initially because of the variety of stuff on offer and the probability of gaining employment being easier. This may/may not be the case. Our search continues.

I have an open option and I am concidering applying for employment within the mining industry but unsure if the FIFO is a suitable option for me and the family. Hardly worth migrating and then not seeing the family for weeks at a time. It is my understanding that Gladstone is a residential mining community meaning that workers are home every night with the family. Is this the case?

What is your work/life balance like in Gladstone? Is there enough for the adults and is there enough for the kids?

Is there enough long term employment? Me....Heavy Plant Machinery Operator/Mechanic.... Dozers, Graders, Bucket Loaders etc Fork Lift Instructor. Wife.....NVQ3 Carer in residential home but will do anything else. 17 year old son wants to start an apprentiship, potentially in mining or engineering.

We are a family of 3 (me 44, wife 46 & 17 year old son). We like the outdoors, weather, beach and sea and myself & son enjoy the surf, snorkelling and are both PADI scuba divers. The wife likes the sand and a towel and is not too fussed about the rest. The work/life balance is important to us.

All advise and experiences greatly welcomed.

Guest Wanna b warm

Hi all.. we arrived on the 25th april so nearly into our second week.. have met up with the millers who have been brilliant. Gladstone has alot more to offer than we had thought. Still in limbo land as kids not in school until we have decided where we want to live..has anyone got any kids who would like to meet up for a play date.. i have 3 hanna 14 next month and 2 boys 12 and 5..they are so bored and havent met anyone their age yet. We can also only get on internet at the libary so thats making life a little difficult!

Jackinabox.. do you have any mechanical qualifications? I know the firm my husband works for are always in need..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theyoungsswiss

Hello All, relatively new to the site and first time post so sorry if the info is already here somewhere (?). We are family from Stafford (... currently living in Switzerland), my OH will be moving to Gladstone in July and we join him later this year. I have a question about schools in the area, our son Oliver is 14 (last February) and we need to know if any of the schools in the area offer the International Baccalauriate course? Or is it all local high school qualifications? He would start his first GCSE year in the UK and so we are anxious about making sure his qualifications are in line with UK uni requirements. Thanks. PS. we also have a six year old daughter so will probably be making many more posts for information :biggrin:

Archived