Anyone moving to Gladstone in 2011/2012?

Guest BigLib

Hi

Lived in Gladstone/Tannum Sands for 8 years. It's a good spot, not remote! Great beach, lovely river. Good schools. Lots of industry so pollution is always a concern with locals though nothing ever shows up in their 'tests'. Need a good social circle, clubs or interests to be happy as it's not like living Gold or Sunshine Coast.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I started this thread and thought I'd better join in !!

Our 457 is bering lodged this week and if its anythining like the Millers, it could be approved by the end of next week.

So, there appears to be many ladies moving to Gladstone over the next few months with families. We should all meet up and have a drink and compare stoeis on how we all managed to get there!!

Keep in touch or find my on Facebook - Libby Cattermole

xx

Were heading over to rockhampton/Gladstone or somewhere in between in June time once we decide would love to meet people im getting quite nervous of being on our own at least meeting a few people an hour and a half away from time to time will help. Good luck to everyone :)

• 3 weeks later...

can I ask if anyone sponsored to go over to gladstone is a boilermaker/welder? im looking to change sponsors and im looking for companies in the gladstone region ...any tips?

cheers!

Guest haunted1234

Rio Tinto are big employers in that area...my friend got sponsorship with them...not sure if theyre recruiting at the moment though :o)

just a quick update. we have been in gladstone for a couple of months now. Got a 4 bedroom house + pool in Tannum Sands for $625/week.

That was stressful in itself as there was a lot of rubbish on the market around that price in Gladstone proper. The commute is easy (30 mins) relaxed drive in the morning.. which at 6.30am is busier than i expected but the amount of fluro on people in cars just go's to show how much industry is in town.

Tannum beach is excellent.. the kids like it down there. Gladstone shopping is enough that the wife isnt getting to frustrated by lack of choice.. and pops up to Rocky as and when needed.

Kids are enjoying it... particularly the pool..!

settled in to work and, fingers crossed, everthing seems to be going smoothly.

There is a lot of work going in town and on the island. LNG work they are building a new coal terminal at Wiggins Island. RG Tanna is expanding to another coal stockpile.. seems as if all you have to be is present in town and you will get some sort of job. If its project related.. its going to pay relatively well.

You need to link up with the Millers. I met them yesterday and spent today with them. A lovely family and I'm sure they will do well here. They are in Tannum now and looking for a more permanent rental, with pool if possible. Send them a pm. I think they would love to hear from you.

We have been here two years and live in Telina.

Guest Wanna b warm

Hi guys.. DH has had better job offer from same company.. Contract signed and sent back so fingers crossed we will be headed out as soon as the 457 comes through! Not sure how long that will be...April?!? We have been looking at tannum.. Looks lovely. Can anyone tell me where the good state schools are? Our kids are 13 just 12 and v nearly 5. DH needs to be near gladstone for work tannum sands apparently ok travel wise prob wouldnt want to be any further out of gladstone tho. Thanks.

We are so excited! Lol.

Hi there "Wanna Be Warm"

Our 457 took 6 days to be approved and the Millers took 5 days!

So, my hubby goes on 12 March and I'll be there with my two little ones (5 yrs and 20 months) in mid-April.

I'm really nervous about travelling so far with just the kids - and how to kep them occupied for such a bloomin long time.

We'll be living closer into Gladstone and I've been looking at the all the schools in the region. I'm going to wait until I can go in and take a look rather than pick one and find out we need to live somewhere completely different. There is a website somewhere as part of the Queensland Govt (sorry, I cannot remember the link) that you can check out the performance of each school.

Take a look at the attached file - it has a list of all the schools in the region - I found it useful for looking each one up.

Keep in touch and we'll all meet up.

Libby x

Educational Facilities - Jan 2011.pdf

Educational Facilities - Jan 2011.pdf

Hi All quick questions on the 457 approval. Our nomination was put forward last week and then apparently there applying for the visa, was yours 5/6 days after the nominations were done. Im so impatient lol Anyway hopefully they'll be through soon and we can get out to rockhampton/gladstone area cant wait!

Hi - the employer nomination goes first and is approved pretty quick as well - I think ours was 2 days. Then the actual 457 Visa application gets sent (once all documents are checked and ready to go) which has only taken the 5/6 days. :-)

Guest Wanna b warm

Hi biglib.. Starting to panic now.. 6 days! :eek:

So much to do..

If you don't mind me asking who is your OH going out with?

Thanks for the school info I'm going to wait til we get there I think too. Not worried about my youngest too much as they don't start school there til they are 6 there's still kindy to sort obviously but the elder 2 need to be in school fairly quickly.

Flight won't be easy. Might be some hints on here somewhere?!? My elder 2 will be happy with the games and films provided my youngest will be a nightmare probably lol.

Would be great to meet up looks like there's gonna be quite a few of us around the same area which will be good!

Emma.

(still can't get over the 6 days! Lol)

yeah.. it was a hot one yesterday. I had to go into town for work..was glad to escape back into the office for the air con

So where are you living and working? Are you guys doing ok?

Anyone want to try to arrange to meet somewhere for a drink or coffee, whatever? The marina barbies have leccie points so we often take a kettle down, some nibbles and toys for the kids. Lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Pm me if you'd like to.

Hi BigLib

There are lots of english people in Gladstone/Boyne Tannum. The public schools at Tannum Sands & Boyne Island are very good. The state high school at Tannum Sands is excellent. I have 3 children all went to these schools. Gladstone also has good schools, no need to pay $10k per year for a private school! The area isn't flat! It's actually quite hilly in places:) It's not remote either, has good facilities and only 1.5 hours from Rockhampton, a much larger city. The only drama is if you get a major health problem then you would probably have to travel to Brisbane for treatment. This happened to me and was a real pain for many weeks!! I'm fine now:) Weekends are either down the beach at Tannum Sands, cycling, walking, fishing, family activities. It lacks places to go to be entertained and there's really just the cinema, bowling and the entertainment centre. Join a club etc to meet friends and you should be ok. I've lived here for 8 years now, just moved back again after being in Brissy. Any questions, happy to help

Guest Wanna b warm
Wanna b warm......

You are sooooooo going to change that name when you get here. Had a day out with Virginia (Miller) today, looking at cars so lots of stopping, starting and getting in and out or the car. Stonking hot!!!!!

Lol

Lol.. It sounds like i'll be needing to change it to I love aircon:laugh

"So where are you living and working? Are you guys doing ok? "

We live in i guess you could call it "new tannum" as in the states landward from the shopping centre.

Not "old Tannum" which i term on the other side of the shopping centre down to the beach and the caravan park ( which we stayed in when we first got here and was fine for the 3 weeks we were there )

Work wise.. i'm working on one of the LNG projects, though fortunately i dont have to go to Curtis Island.. so i am stricltly 5 days on 2 off..! home in 30 mins :biggrin:

"So where are you living and working? Are you guys doing ok? "

We live in i guess you could call it "new tannum" as in the states landward from the shopping centre.

Not "old Tannum" which i term on the other side of the shopping centre down to the beach and the caravan park ( which we stayed in when we first got here and was fine for the 3 weeks we were there )

Work wise.. i'm working on one of the LNG projects, though fortunately i dont have to go to Curtis Island.. so i am stricltly 5 days on 2 off..! home in 30 mins :biggrin:

Hi six it, is there a part of Tannum to be avoided? For renting a house I mean. We have 2 small kids ,do want somewhere quiet.

Also if anyone could recommend short term accommodation , can be simple , but clean and safe for the boys, was looking at the "Tannum sands beach house" which is nice but at $1000 a week is quite pricey

And thanks for the info about schools jt950, what is the advantage of the private schools?

Thanks

Our son is at a private school. They are much more affordable here.

We chose that for him because it is a faith-based school (they all are, I think) and it is small.Ours is linked with our church so it is a real community thing for us. We are really happy with it. Sadly we only go up to year 10 at the moment so he may be moving to another high school next year unless we expand this year. Not a problem, all the kids transition well.

The faith-based schools are not only for those with that faith, but I guess you would have to be fairly happy for them to be taught within that faith to send them there.

Archived