Anyone moving to Gladstone in 2011/2012?

Guest BigLib

My husband has been offered a job in Gladstone for $60K. Not sure its high enough.

We have 2 children under the age of 5.

Any other English people living in the area? Would love to hear from you, especially to find out where the best beer in town is !!

Little concerned that it is very flat there and "remote."

What do you do at weekends?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SupportPants
My husband has been offered a job in Gladstone for $60K. Not sure its high enough.

We have 2 children under the age of 5.

Any other English people living in the area? Would love to hear from you, especially to find out where the best beer in town is !!

Little concerned that it is very flat there and "remote."

What do you do at weekends?

Spent a few months in Gladstone with my partner who was driving tug boats there. The wages were good and as we have a boat we didn't have to spend the big bucks on rental in Gladstone. As its a mining town property is quite expensive for Qld. Check out http://www.realestate.com.au for some example properties. Dare I say that Gladstone is not a pretty place but will be a start in Oz for you. 60k is probably a lowish wage (around 23k GBP equivalent) for the area and I'd do some research on comparable wages offered locally on http://www.seek.com.au. - if your visa is dependent on the job it will really start to grate if your husband's Australian colleagues are on way over that. A couple of the dumper truck drivers we knew were on around 90k there. At weekends we tended to have a few drinks at home - it has a very working town feel to the place so don't expect any glamour.

• 1 month later...
Guest haunted1234

Tannum Sands is about a 25 minute drive away, my friends emigrated out there last year, and love it, also try Boyne Island as it's making lots of improvements, new Golf resort etc, so will bring house prices up if you're looking to buy. we visited Tannum in June and loved it! :o)

• 2 weeks later...

We are hoping to move next summer 2012 from Ireland just started the RSMS route, Husband has been offered job in Bileola but feel that perhaps with two teenage daughters Gladstone would be a bit livlelier for them...anyone know what the daily commute would be like

• 2 weeks later...

Hmph, we are not a mining town!!!

Industrial, certainly, but not mining.

It's not pretty but to be honest all the industry gives us work, gives us loads of apprenticeships and then the industries try to sweeten us up by providing parks with free BBQs which they clean twice daily, they promote several festivals and events. All in all it's a good trade-off.

Tannum is indeed the prettier end of our area, and our nearest good beach. We go there a lot as there's an off-lead beach also for the dog.

It is small, and friendly but house prices are rocketing because of all the new industry arriving. Many locals are having to move out so they are a bit bitter.

I LOVE it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette- Bunnings have found us a house in Tannum sands 300m from the beach...!! yey ! and our 45 7visa came through in 5 days !!!! flight are getting booked for us next week and then the countdown begins till we leave this cold crap weather in Manchester!!!! roll on Feb !

Was there last week for a job interview

best decribed and hartlepool or Middlesbrough ( but sunny ). An industrial town.

Loved how they made a beauty spot feature of the Aluminium Smelter..:swoon:

In my brief visit.. looked ok to me. Plenty of shops.. houses on the whole were not run down. Didnt see any grafitti

We will let you know in a couple of weeks when we relocate!

Not a bit like Hartlepool or Middlesborough in my opinion. Lol!

It IS industrial. If you need to work its a good place to be and a good place to raise a family.

Our long-term aim is to retire to a quieter area. Many of those around but not a lot of work there.

QAL is an unavoidable "beauty spot" and lights up the night sky.

I will try to find some links to photos which show fairly, what Gladstone is like.

heh Buddysmum,

we can agree to disgree on what indutrial town it reminds you of :biggrin:

but the feeling that i got.. was that you go there to work.. there seems to be some lovely places nearby -to visit..

but as you said.. if you want work.. they have it.. particularly of like me you are involved in LNG

and i hope its good for families.. as i'm dragging my 3 little ones (and the wife) all the way from Perth!

Hi all were moving to Rockhampton next year about an hours drive from Gladstone( i will be working there hopefully) really trying to find people in the same boat. Was advised Gladstone is "full" so there busing people from Rocky and other towns near by as there are rentals there. Been doing lots of research and very excited but would definately feel better if had some people in the same position to talk to :)

Hi all were moving to Rockhampton next year about an hours drive from Gladstone( i will be working there hopefully) really trying to find people in the same boat. Was advised Gladstone is "full" so there busing people from Rocky and other towns near by as there are rentals there. Been doing lots of research and very excited but would definately feel better if had some people in the same position to talk to :)

Hi vixxy,

We are moving to Gladstone next year(. RSMS visa, lodged 12/9) we have 2 boys (1.5&3.5) husband has a job in Gladstone and was advised by his Aussie boss to live in Tannum sands. Hoping to be there Feb/ March

What visa you are going with?

Katerina

Hi Vixxy666 and Katerina- We are moving to Tannum sands in Feb- we fly out on Feb 6th and have a few days in Singapore and then finally arrive Feb 10th ! yey! If you want to keep in touch on here we can chat privately if you want to share anything about Gladstone.....:)

hi millers I am sooooooo jealous that you have an actual date:yellow_guy_smiling_

do you have a rental sorted out already or you going to stay in hotel for a while?

vixxy I am on FB -pavel jenik(husband)feel free to find us:biggrin:

when are you planning to go?why are you going to live in Rocky if your job is in Gladstone?if you dont mind me asking?

Hi Katerina were moving in June-ish! My OH has a job in rocky and will be working longer hours do best living there I'm hoping to get a job in Gladstone as I'm a chemist n it seems the best bet but who knows what will happen. I'll add you on fb vicky white :)

Great vicky, you still might be there before us:-) the RSMS visa are taking forever ..!

I was asking because we wanted to live in Rocky ( cheaper rentals)and my husband's boss said that the traveling would be too hard(low speed limit and not a great road) but I guess you just have to see for yourself

Gladstone is pretty full, with all the construction happening over on Curtis Island at the moment with the LNG projects. It won't stay that way, the perma staffing levels on the island will go down once the construction is finished.

They really are bussing people long distances, but that adds at least an extra hour at each end of your working day. Then if the rains come again, the main highway was closed for a few days, both north and south, with no other way through.

Personally I wouldn't want to do that commute long-term, but OH works with people who have been doing it for a few years so it is do-able.

Hi Annette- whats Clinton Like ? Been offered a house with a pool for $700 per week.......any thoughts?

Virginia

x

Do you know which road it is in? Clinton is very nice or really not very nice at all depending which bit you are in!! There's a new bit and an old bit. The new bit is nice.

Generally the bits nearer to the airport are probably the older parts. The houses themselves, although older, are not all bad and some have pools, but the neighbourhood can be a bit dodgy. I don't think there is much trouble there though, just not all that nice. Most of the locals would prefer to live elsewhere.

The newer parts are pretty nice though. Lovely houses, not the largest plots, but nice enough. Some would have pools.

PM the street name to me if you have it and I'll go have a look for you if you like.

Hi vixxy,

We are moving to Gladstone next year(. RSMS visa, lodged 12/9) we have 2 boys (1.5&3.5) husband has a job in Gladstone and was advised by his Aussie boss to live in Tannum sands. Hoping to be there Feb/ March

What visa you are going with?

Katerina

Tannum is lovely. That's our closest good beach. I would love to live there!

Hi Buddys mum thanks for all the useful info. I dont really fancy 2hours of commuting each day but i guess ill see what opportunities are out there. I could take a position in Brisbane with the company I work in the UK for but that would mean living in brisbane4-5 days but its only hours flight, not sure what to do for the best definately want to work. Ill pm you and add you on fb if thats ok :)

Hi Annette

It is 72 Whitbread Rd, clinton.....

Any ideas where else may be a possible ? what about private schools for our 6yr old son ? any close by to Clinton? Do you think we should maybe look at securing somewhere to live whilst we are still in the uk or leave it till we get to Gladstone? our contact at Bunnings has mentioned to us that a house with a pool is difficult to rent on a short term lease ......does this sound right to you ? 9 weeks to fo now before we fly out (Feb 6th ) so starting to get a bit panicky about what to do for the best ........

Thanks

Ps- send me a private msg with your surmane and i can find you on FB.xx