Rude doctors

Polkey

Hi every one,

A bit of a moan here. My wife and i had our meds done at the end of August wich was the day before our wedding. Full of excitment to be having our meds done at last plus the high of the wedding we turned up at the surgery and had what i can only describe as a very impersonal and uncomfortable exprience. The doctor had no intrest, spoke to us like we were a couple of idiots and was rude and aragont at the same time. We left nearly £500 poorer and rather shocked, we didn't expect him to share our excitment but we didnt imagine we would get such a terrible service. We live in Chester-Le-Street in the north east and this guy is the only person in the area that is listed to do the meds. Had we known what a git this doctor was before we would have spent the money and gone further afield wich is what i would recomend to anyone else in the area. Its a real shame that more doctors are not available to do the meds and that there is not a way of recomending a good doctor to save people paying good money to suffer the bad manners of fools. Been thinking about it for weeks now, wasnt sure if i should ignore it or not, geuss i needed to get it of my chest, sorry to moan but what a kn*&b.

:arghh:

Guest Scarletfever

Hey, let it out with the steam mate...doctors are the same as the rest of us I suppose, you get good and bad in all walks of life.................course, we don't all do the bandit thingy and rob people of £500 in the process but you get my drift.:huh:

Chin up dude..it'll be worth it when you get over there!!!

Dan

Guest Andy & Rach

Sorry to hear that...we live in Berks but Andy's family are in the North-East and I know Chester-le-Street.

Hopefully other people will be able to avoid this experience-I hate rude people!!

Anyway, now it's off your chest-let it go-you're one step closer to getting to Oz!!!

Congratulations on the wedding!

Rach

Hi every one,

A bit of a moan here. My wife and i had our meds done at the end of August wich was the day before our wedding. Full of excitment to be having our meds done at last plus the high of the wedding we turned up at the surgery and had what i can only describe as a very impersonal and uncomfortable exprience. The doctor had no intrest, spoke to us like we were a couple of idiots and was rude and aragont at the same time. We left nearly £500 poorer and rather shocked, we didn't expect him to share our excitment but we didnt imagine we would get such a terrible service. We live in Chester-Le-Street in the north east and this guy is the only person in the area that is listed to do the meds. Had we known what a git this doctor was before we would have spent the money and gone further afield wich is what i would recomend to anyone else in the area. Its a real shame that more doctors are not available to do the meds and that there is not a way of recomending a good doctor to save people paying good money to suffer the bad manners of fools. Been thinking about it for weeks now, wasnt sure if i should ignore it or not, geuss i needed to get it of my chest, sorry to moan but what a kn*&b.

Sorry to hear that guys, but Congratulations on your Marriage; at least everything should be looking positive for your new life together when you hit Oz.

Was that doc in Newcastle? I spoke with one on the North side who seemed very decent, so I'd be disappointed if it was the same guy - but maybe it was a Friday & I don't suppose Dr's like doing Friday’s... Still hard to believe...

And did you have to pay the VAT?? The Dr. I spoke with wasn’t happy about charging us that…

Congratulations anyway,

Herbster X

Hi Herbster, the surgey was not far from ST James Prk in Newcastle and yes he did seem nice on the phone and VAT was not mentioned. WE had 2 meds 2 HIV test and 1 Hep test due to a tattoo plus postage to Oz. We had are xray done over Jesmond way and paid about £95.But to be honest i couldn't care less about how much it costs, i would pay double if i had to but when you are spending hundreds of pounds you expect and deserve a good service. Maybe we caught him on a bad day but either way we felt very uncomfortable. I would be intrested to see if you have a better experience than us, good luck.

Its done now and we have lots to look forward to, i just wanted to share it with every one as PIO is given us a lot of info due to other peoples experience. I think even the bad stuff should be shared to. Anyway time for a large glass of red and thoughts of no more winters, Cheers.

Sorry to hear you had a horrible experience, I wonder if you could report him to anyone?

We have had our meds today £650 (for cash) for 4 adults plus £67 each for xray everyone was very nice and happy for us going to Oz

the Doctor was really nice, Dr Goodall in Southampton, put everyone at ease we were all in the room together, he had a really nice manner, talked about Oz gave us tips, told my DD to watch neighbours to learn aussie lingo! said it was a true representation of Melbourne:wideeyed:

he was great at taking blood hardly felt it, poor hubby has got a bit of a bruise coming

a very good experience but I am so glad that hurdle is over:yes:

and now the long wait............. the Dr said that he spoke to someone at LSU(?) who said they have mail that has been sat there for 5 weeks without being opened.:shocked: because they are so overstretched

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Polkey

The Southampton-based (Australian) doctor who examined my ancient & disabled Mmma for her Contributory Parent visa in 2005 could not have been gentler, kinder or nicer. He was super.

DIAC are strict about the standards of conduct they expect from the radiology clinics and the Panel Doctors. There is no excuse for any service provider to be offhand and ill-mannered.

If you were to complain to Australia House in London about your Panel Doctor (I can give you the name and direct contact details of the relevant DIAC official if you wish) I susect that your complaint would be logged and possibly investigated - the latter especially if others have complained too.)

But heck, you are never going to have to clap eyes on this PD geezer again, so can you really be bothered to waste your own time worrying about disciplining him? I suspect that the real cause of your stress at the moment is that he left a bad taste in your mouths but the delays at the LCU are making that taste even worse?

Best wishes

Gill

What a shame you had such a bad experience, and got charged £500 for the privelige! I have to say I generally have issues with doctors, but Dr Ecclestone at Handsworth Wood was really lovely, couldn't have asked for a better service.

Like you say, you've got lots to look forward to, and congratulations on your wedding!!

Bec x

Guest UK2Perth

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience! We have our meds on Friday in Preston and the panel doctor has the same surname as me! I was a bit apprehensive when I booked it because I don't want them to think I am scamming the system however they assured me he is on the panel and won't jeopordise anything! Congrats on your wedding, I booked mine on Saturday and the registrar today! I know how you feel trying to arrange a wedding and a visa arghhhh!!!!!! Jo x

Sorry to hear your bad experience, what about writing to him and saying how you found him and send a copy of the letter to DIMIA (surely they regulate the Drs if they're on an approved list).

Our doctor in Preston was great which surpised me as he's done some work at our occupational health dept at work and people hated him (goes to show they can smile when you pay them lots of money). He was great with the kids who were 11 and 6 at the time and made up some games when he was taking blood (my son still thinks his dads and alien and his mum a princess!!), and got my son to help with the medical.

Ali

Hi every one,

Hi Just want to say that I am sorry that you didnt get a Dr who treated you like people should be treated!! We lived down south but my husband is from Durham and all his family live in Chester Le Street so we know it well.

Congratulations on your wedding and good luck in your new life!!

Sorry you had such a bad experience at the docs. But congratulations on the wedding. :jiggy:

Most people in this area (newcastle) who need meds dont use him there is another registered doctor in Slatyford at the turet medical centre who is great, you are the first person I know of who used the doc at St James everyone uses Dr Howarth.

Howarth is one of the GP's appealing against the additional cost of the new VAT charge with the government, they already had won to have it scrapped but the government changed their mind and took back the original decision. He is so opposed to it he reduced the costs of our meds a wee bit and didnt charge us the whole courier cost.

Hope married life treats you well

Kaye

Dr Howarth isn't near St James, sorry you had bad experience he must have been having a bad day everyone really rates him highly there are a few on here and other forums that have used him.

Have had regular contact via phone and email since re hubbies bp and could not have been more helpful, he mentioned VAT on phone to us when we rang for initial appointment.

Had a few issues of my own about meds and was so nice and helped me relax and was great with kids (are you sure we are talking about the same bloke :wideeyed:, sorry dont mean to doubt you :wubclub:)

Hope all goes well with the rest of your application.

Kaye

Dr Howarth isn't near St James, sorry you had bad experience he must have been having a bad day everyone really rates him highly there are a few on here and other forums that have used him....

Had a few issues of my own about meds and was so nice and helped me relax and was great with kids (are you sure we are talking about the same bloke sorry dont mean to doubt you).....Kaye

Thanks for posting this, Kaye, as it was Dr. Howarth I spoke with, who sounded quite decent... We were going to him for our meds; otherwise, we'll probably make the trek over to Carlisle, although they didn't sound the friendliest in the world... :sad:

But then, I've never really expected Doctors to be actually friendly! I had so many scary experiences in the Bad Old Days, as a child when Dr’s & particularly nurses seemed to crawl out from the pages of some nasty Grimes Fairytale, :cry:that I’m actually quite surprised nowadays when they treat me like a living, feeling person!

But when you're handing over shed-loads of dosh for something that’s a necessity rather than a pleasure they could help ease our discomfort by at least, being pleased to see us! (You should see the smile on my dentist's face last wk, when I flew 500 miles for a reconstruction, which then cost £225... Made him happy!! :wideeyed:Ouch!!)

I think it is worth comparing notes on these things, sharing the good with the bad, which, might help improve standards all ‘round...

Good Wishes to All in the Visa Process (Gezz, it's a long drawn-out old process!),:SLEEP:

Herbster X

Hi...what a shame you had such a bad experience with the doc. It is nerve wracking enough, wondering wether or not you will pass your meds without having the doc in a bad mood, but we all have our off days.

We had are x-rays (£140) and meds(£410) done in Preston too, the Dr was Ormerod and he was great, especially with the kids (9 and5).

Anyway congrats on your wedding and good look with your app.

Hi Herbster

Have to say he is really on the ball about how you have filled in the forms as we had to fill in some parts we had missed off, he says he likes it done properly first time round so they don't get returned with an admin error.

Before you go in check your forms front and back and fill in your passport numbers as we forgot this bit and had to do them, but he was really nice about it.

Don't know if you saw a previous thread of mine but it tells you what I had to have done I had to have breast exam not everyone had to do this it could be my weight but passed everything so no problems. If you want, have a look at post 28 of this link and see what he did

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/24603-medicals-done-yayyyyy-2.html

Ells Bells who comes on here also used Dr Howarth it was her that reassured me on him, but as I say others to have used him including friends of ours at football who said he was great.

Really sorry that OP had a bad experience of him but in general most have had good experience.

He is based behind Slatyford bus depot if you know where that is or not far from A1 turn of, nowhere near St James (unless he has private practice there) that may throw you a bit if you don't know suburbs of newcastle much.

He reduced our costs a little by charging eldest son as child he is 18 he thinks paying for 5 is too expensive, he believes that charging VAT on something that is basically a screening programme for good health is immoral and I got a big long speech on it. He assured us that if VAT is scrapped wherever we are in the world he will pay it back.

Good luck

kaye

Wardy, Im very pleased to hear that you had a better experience than us and maybe we did catch him on a bad day but as pro DR Howarth as you are that does not excuse of detract from the fact that we all deserve to be treated the same. As herbster said we are just comparing notes here. And i beg to differ with regards to the surgery being nowhere near ST Jamses Prk, its a few mins drive as is Slatyford, maybe you need to brush up on your geography.

Wardy, Im very pleased to hear that you had a better experience than us and maybe we did catch him on a bad day but as pro DR Howarth as you are that does not excuse of detract from the fact that we all deserve to be treated the same. As herbster said we are just comparing notes here. And i beg to differ with regards to the surgery being nowhere near ST Jamses Prk, its a few mins drive as is Slatyford, maybe you need to brush up on your geography.

I dont want to get into a slanging match about this i'm not interested as I say I am sorry you had a bad experience but I was trying to reassure someone who is about to have theirs and am basing it on mine and others experiences and as you say it is all about comparing notes so was adding mine and I agree everyone should be treated the same I dont remember saying they shouldn't.

St james park is right in the centre town of town and to send them in that direction when it is on the outskirts of newcastle a good 2 - 3 miles away on the edge of the A1, it may not take long to drive but if you dont know the area the directions you give do not help. As to my geography I drive past the end of the road where the surgery is about 30x a week and havent got lost yet.

As I say dont want to get in a row about this as its pointless and a waste of my time, I do not come on here to get or give a hard time.

Kaye

Bless You All!

But Calm Down Dear's It's Just a Pesky Medical!!!

(Even though the prospect of it gave me nightmares last night, & I actually dreamt that, I did it - don’t you just hate that, as I’ll have to do it all over again, for real! - & it was no big deal! He only listened to my chest & measured me & was quite convinced I was utterly healthy, until my sister, who was with us to prove our ID, (!!??) turned round to Dr., (as she would) saying, 'how do you know that the proof I'm providing is real?' WHAT?! 'How do you know these photos are actually of her?!' I mean I could've killed her, but that is just the kind of subversive monkey she is. Then for some reason we all ended up running around this park in Jesmond, in our bear feet... Heaven knows what all that was about, but I guess shows the deep ingrained apprehension I have regarding Doctors!!)

But this discussion also reminded me of my Education Lecturer at college; I loved her, she was straight, brutally honest, direct (all the things I wasn’t in those days!) - if she said she needed your Paper's in on the 13th, then the 14th was too late, pure & simple - But many other students loathed her, they called her rude, obnoxious and just not nice, but I thought she was really cool! Even all those years ago I found it interesting how different people have differing reactions to the same stimuli/experience, which is why these days Witness Evidence isn't given as much credence as it once was, as so many of us see things so differently.

But Kaye & Polkey, I'm always interested in everyone's experiences & opinions take it all on board & try & make sense of it for myself... Take the gluten-free issue (fundamentally, NO Wheat) how many times do you go into a café or restaurant & ask if a dish is gluten-free & safe to eat, & they bring you out something with breadcrumbs on top, or thick gravy over the spuds or some other weird concoction laced with the evil wheat? Too many to mention, but their misconception or simple error could be someone else’s health nightmare…

Just try not to take things too personally, guys, as I’m sure you’re both right; however, now I’m curious to discover for myself exactly what’s going on here (what does that say about me?)! I’m sure we won’t have a problem finding it, when the time comes, although we’re out in the rural wilds & can’t be bothered with town much, we’ve got our maps & autoroute finder & we’ve been to Jesmond before! Either one of you can pm me with details if you like! But I really thank you for your concern, & am sorry if any one has had a nasty experience at the Doctor’s, but thank goodness it’s over for you… spare a thought for us with it hanging over our heads….!

Cheers,

Herbster (He’s a bear, he doesn’t need a Medical, as he’s Xtremly Tedly!)

X

I don't want to get into a slanging match about this I'm not interested as I say I am sorry you had a bad experience but I was trying to reassure someone who is about to have theirs and am basing it on mine and others experiences and ....As I say don't want to get in a row about this as its pointless and a waste of my time, I do not come on here to get or give a hard time....Kaye

Thanks Kaye for all your help and advice, :notworthy:and I hope that this discussion was helpful to others, as much as it has assisted me.

I'll let you know how things go... Won't be for a while I guess... Off to Cramlington tomorrow, to get the Police Checks started :policeman:- certainly NOT trusting our passports to the (not-so-great) Post Office (shame though, as it used to be the Best Postal Service in the World)... (Friend said she had to do checks & they only took 10 days! Course that was Devon, so we'll wait to be impressed, or not, as the case may be...!)

At last got OH to figure out computer glitch! Makes life so much easier!!

Love

Herbster (Looking out as leaves fly by his window on a blustery, autumn day... It's spring in Tass...)

:cute:

Archived