Travel Kennel

JoandJon

Hi all,

I've just had delivery of Satch's travel kennel (made to measure wood and wire - looks nice and robust).

It's only got newspaper in the bottom at the moment and I want to get something more comfy - any suggestions?

I'm thinking of buying a 'vetbed' liner for it, and wondered if anyone has any better suggestions?

Cheers!

Guest MontyClaude

Hi JoandJon maybe check with your pet agent. I think whatever they travel with gets soiled and dumped, so vetbed would be great but not sure if they are strict about what can and can't go in the crate, ours are being made in the UK so we wont see them until we bring the pets over the day they fly.

Guest The Pom Queen

Something I would highly recommend if the airlines will still permit it, is the puppy pads, they are excellent because if the dog/cat needs a wee it soaks it up and they aren't laid in a puddle for the next 24 hours

puppypads_Banner.jpg

Cheers guys,

I'm expecting whatever goes in the crate to be chucked out, I just don't want her in a puddle, and also she does have rather sensitive skin in parts so I want her to be as comfy as possible...

- thanks for the tip about Puppy Pads - didn't think of them! Will have a good chat with the vet and see what Simon reckons :)

Guest ChiltzandTig

hi, we just sent our dog over 5 days ago and we used shredded newspaper, then a towel that we had all lied around on for for a week or so (to get all our good snifs on) with vet bed on the top of all that..... I'm told that she travelled very well and was clean and happy when she arrived. regards chiltz.

I would definately suggest vet bed with puppy pads underneath- vetbed is used by many breeders in whelp because the liquids just seep through it to a pad beneath, leaving a cleaner space for pups. This is what I'll be using for sure!

Can we have a piccie of the kennel so I know what to expect my lovely? xx

Just a quick word of warning, I used puppy pads with my dog when she was house training. I once left her for 2 hours while at shops, got home and she had wee'd on the puppy pad as they are intended....but then tore out the wet patch and eaten most of it... i walked in to yellow bits of puppy pad all over the kitchen & her mouth eeurgh! :biggrin:

I'd just be a bit worried about dog in the kennel crate while on airplane and eating it all... might be worth checking whether your dog shows any interest in eating it first!

Poppy has always had a bit of a fetish for stealing tissues so maybe it's just her :cute: I wouldn't even trust her with shreded newspaper... it will be vetbed when she makes the journey.... but worth checking with your pet shipper what they recommend.

Guest MontyClaude

Mine are the same. They shred everything!! Mine used to pee on the floor and shred the pads :) I won't have much choice what goes in to the crate cos I won't really see it but they can't have anything that they can shred and possibly choke on.

I would definately suggest vet bed with puppy pads underneath- vetbed is used by many breeders in whelp because the liquids just seep through it to a pad beneath, leaving a cleaner space for pups. This is what I'll be using for sure!

Can we have a piccie of the kennel so I know what to expect my lovely? xx

Sounds like a good option to me - as soon as my brain tells me how to upload photos I'll send some... and once Satch the scary labrador stops nudging me whilst trying to take photos!

:D

Ok I think this should work :)

This is the amazing Satch (and her toy puppy) happy to go into her travel kennel already! (only an occasional biscuit required)

Although her legs are hanging out the front in this photo, we've already had her in there with the doors closed lying down, she was just quite interested in the camera and kept coming towards me

:)

** edit **

And husbands sexy legs in the background :)

Satch_kennelAug2011_SMALL.jpg

Satch_kenneldownAug2011_SMALL.jpg

Satch_kennelAug2011_SMALL.jpg

Satch_kenneldownAug2011_SMALL.jpg

It seems sturdy - just a few sharp eduges we'll sand off to make sure it's nice and safe first.

Satch is a rather smug dog - I'm just hoping she's ok with quarantine and travelling!

I've asked if we can ours early as well as I want to make sure its big enough.

Hlwhen did you apply for her import permit and how long did it take to come through

Guest MontyClaude
I've asked if we can ours early as well as I want to make sure its big enough.

Hlwhen did you apply for her import permit and how long did it take to come through

I applied for our import permits in June and they took about 3 weeks to come through. When are you flying?

Guest MontyClaude

You should hopefully get it back soon. Our animals are flying 15 Oct. I had emailed quarantine before I got the permits to ask if they thought they would have room in Oct cos I have 4 and they said they had space so that's good. Good luck with the move, if you're going to Melb I might see you when I'm visiting my lot!

Our pet travel agent applied of it for us and it was back within 2 weeks (although Sam did say it was the quickest ever!)

Monty when are your babies entering quarantine? I'm wondering if they'll be neighbours with Satch!

**edit** Ignore my question - they'll be in with Satch!! She flies on the 17th with Qantas :)

:D

Woo hoo!

I'll be the short person blubblering like crazy every time I have to leave her behind - DH will be looking moderately embarrassed and telling me 'she'll be fine'!

Any idea Where abouts will you be living Monty?

Soooo exciting now :)

Guest MontyClaude

Ha ha that'll be me too or I'll be getting barred. I'm taking the opinion that you're allowed to visit twice a week and I'll have 4 so surely I can go every day?!

Not really sure where we'll live. Wherever accept pets will do for the first 6 months! OH will be working in eastern suburbs so prob somewhere fairly close, I'll prob be in CBD but I don't mind commuting. How about you? Any ideas where you'll be based?

Woo hoo!

I'll be the short person blubblering like crazy every time I have to leave her behind - DH will be looking moderately embarrassed and telling me 'she'll be fine'!

Any idea Where abouts will you be living Monty?

Soooo exciting now :)

Hahaha, omg you sound just like we will be if we go. Even now i well up at the thought of leaving the doggie behind when he's in quarantine. :cry:

Ha ha that'll be me too or I'll be getting barred. I'm taking the opinion that you're allowed to visit twice a week and I'll have 4 so surely I can go every day?!

Not really sure where we'll live. Wherever accept pets will do for the first 6 months! OH will be working in eastern suburbs so prob somewhere fairly close, I'll prob be in CBD but I don't mind commuting. How about you? Any ideas where you'll be based?

My Mum and Dad live in Mt Dandenong, so we'll be staying with them to begin with, but defo Eastern Suburbs - maybe out Ringwood way (ish). I'm working in the CBD, and hubby is yet to sort out a job so it will mostly depend on him.

Will have to catch up and share some tears about subjecting our muttlets to doggy prison :( Must stop calling it that - doggy holiday camp, that's what it is!

JoandJon

WHo are you using and how did you get the box so early? I am not sure who to use for my dog (a staffie cross whipett) but need to get a move on as want to send her at start of Oct....

Hi there,

I'm using Jets4Pets - and I just asked for the box early (if you don't ask you don't get!). I'm sure most of the companies will send out the box early for you if you ask them - I really wanted Satch to get used to the smell and concept.

ooooh dear, funny gurgling noises from Satch's tummy - might be best to take her outside....

Guest MontyClaude
My Mum and Dad live in Mt Dandenong, so we'll be staying with them to begin with, but defo Eastern Suburbs - maybe out Ringwood way (ish). I'm working in the CBD, and hubby is yet to sort out a job so it will mostly depend on him.

Will have to catch up and share some tears about subjecting our muttlets to doggy prison :( Must stop calling it that - doggy holiday camp, that's what it is!

Sounds like a good plan, we can meet up and sniffle and sob about how we've abandoned our babies!!

Archived