How to choose a school?

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

So, if we head to Perth, we have a school sorted out.

However, if we head to Brisbane, how do we go about finding a good school to send our son to?

My wife wants to pick a school first, then based on that decide where to live - I'd rather see where my job is, and decide where to live / where to school from that.

My wife of course will win the argument.....

So, how do people go about picking a school, and making sure it's decent?

However, if we head to Brisbane, how do we go about finding a good school to send our son to?

My wife wants to pick a school first, then based on that decide where to live - I'd rather see where my job is, and decide where to live / where to school from that.

How did you pick the one in Perth? Use the same way for Brisbane.

Guest NeilEB
How did you pick the one in Perth? Use the same way for Brisbane.

It was simple - it was the only religious school in Perth :-)

Brisbane doesn't have one (well it does, but it's way too small with only 41 children across 7 years...)

It was simple - it was the only religious school in Perth :-)

Brisbane doesn't have one (well it does, but it's way too small with only 41 children across 7 years...)

There are hundreds of religious schools in Perth. I have about 10 of varying religions within a 2km radius of my house.

What sort of religion are you looking at??

Guest The Purrfessor

Dear Neil

There is no foolproof way to choosing schools, but it is important to visit the schools and talk to the Head first. The usual thing is to rent TEMPORARY accommodation for a few months and find out where you want to live. You can enrol the kids into the local school without committing yourself and them for life. Then you need to listen to locals about the schools - neighbours, work colleagues, anyone you think is sensible, as well as consult the State Education Department if the children have any special needs. THEN when you buy a house and settle, you can transfer the kids to the school of your choice. AND Brisbane has scores of religious schools, Catholic, Anglican, minor denominations. Type in "Brisbane Religious schools" in the Internet. Good luck. The Purrfessor

Guest NeilEB

Which would help if I was catholic, Anglican etc :-)

Isn't there a website that has results for all the schools in an area? Sure I stumbled across it a while back?

I would make an appointment to look round the school and have some questions prepared to ask the Principal. How many on roll? Percentage of SEN? Extra curricular activities? I think you get a pretty good idea whether it is decent or not after that.

Which would help if I was catholic, Anglican etc :-)

Isn't there a website that has results for all the schools in an area? Sure I stumbled across it a while back?

If you had specified what religion then it wouldn't have sounded so ridiculous to say there is only one religious school in Brisbane. If you had said there was only one Islamic school or Jehovahs witness school then at least it would have been understandable and people could help you with your query.

• 2 weeks later...

ha ha happy wife happy life!!

I would definitely find out where you are working first - there are many many schools in Brisbane and it is a big place - you dont want to be driving miles either to school or work - you at least need to now if you will be working north, south east or west

Sorry havent helped much have I?

Archived