State Sponsorship Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Recommendations)

Guest ian877

Guest ian877

Hello all

Still plodding through the Visa process (state sponsorship) and we have got to the point where we must decide on which state would offer us the best opportunities, preferably South.

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) (unlicenced) and we have looked at each states SOL.

WA: is out of the question at the moment as we are not on their SOL.

SA: I'm on their list but there are some conditions to be met, I read this to be that you must gain work experience in this state, can anyone clarify this?

Victoria: I'm on their list with no conditions so this may be a possibility.

NSW: This state is broken down into four areas and the SOL for each does not include any Aircraft trades.

I get the impression that there is not a great requirement for aircraft engineers on a state sponsorship visa and yet this occupation is on the skills shortage list for Australia.

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm my findings or offer some advice.

Thank you all

Ian and Debbie

Hello all

Still plodding through the Visa process (state sponsorship) and we have got to the point where we must decide on which state would offer us the best opportunities, preferably South.

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) (unlicenced) and we have looked at each states SOL.

SA: I'm on their list but there are some conditions to be met, I read this to be that you must gain work experience in this state, can anyone clarify this?

NSW: This state is broken down into four areas and the SOL for each does not include any Aircraft trades.

I get the impression that there is not a great requirement for aircraft engineers on a state sponsorship visa and yet this occupation is on the skills shortage list for Australia.

Thank you all

Ian and Debbie

"If you apply for a General Skilled Migration visa on or after 1 July 2011 and you are not nominated by a State or Territory Government, you must nominate an occupation from Schedule 1 of the Skilled Occupation List.

If you apply for a General Skilled Migration visa on or after 1 July 2011 and you are nominated by a State or Territory Government you must nominate an occupation from either Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 of the Skilled Occupation List."

As your Occupation is on SOL schedual 1, you are able to apply for PR Visa 175, where you can work anywhere in Australia or 176 with State Sponsorship.

176 visa is faster to process but you have to work in the state for 2 years.

Depends how fast you want your application to be processed as to which one you chose, but least you have the choice.

SA State Migration Plan - Aircraft Maintanence Enginneer

"This occupation is limited to applicants who are recent international graduates, who studied at a South Australian institution and where this study meets the DIAC two year study requirement and for Permanent 886 and 176 state sponsorship."

So you wouldnt be eligible for that state unless they remove the special conditions.

Being state sponsored doesnt guarentee that you will get a job in the state, nor if your occupation is not on the plan you wont find a job in that state.

Aircraft Maintance Engineer also on ACT list.

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/208081/SMP_Occupation_List_Jul_11.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest48800
Hello all

Thank you all

Ian and Debbie

Hello,

Just noticed this thread (been away on hols!). OH is an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics), also unlicensed, and is being sponsored by Victoria. We applied under the pre July 1st rules but didn't have any problem with gaining sponsorship based on the SOL at the time. Not sure if this helps you at all, but we also know 2 other AME's (one AV, one Mech) who were sponsored by SA (again pre rule changes) and are now in Aus.

Have just had a chat with OH, and he says that the gent who carried out his skills assessment interview told him that they're still "crying out for Aircraft Engineers" over there. We went for Victoria due to the rules at the time and research of the area, SA wasn't an option for us at the time as their 'book was closed' as it were.

Guest MovingOnUp

Hi,

My OH is also Avionics and has spent the last year or so doing various exams to get his licences.

We have been in SA for the last 5yrs, initially it took Gavin 4 months to find work and then he was at the same place until he landed a new job in Brisbane (we were planning to move there anyway at the end of the school year)

He's actually up in Qld now so when I speak to him later I'll ask him to take a look at your thread. I'm sure he's got plenty to tell you :chatterbox: on the subject and I know he has lots of contacts all around Australia.

Deb

Guest MovingOnUp

Having done jobs in all the States in Australia, I do have plenty of contacts. Anyone reading this now or in the future is welcome to contact me.

Been jumping through hoops for 5 years now, I have become pretty good at it.

Cheers

Gavin

Guest guest48800
Having done jobs in all the States in Australia, I do have plenty of contacts. Anyone reading this now or in the future is welcome to contact me.

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Big thanks in advance for your kind offer, have no doubt that my OH will be keen to 'pick your brains' for any contacts you think may be helpful when we come round to making the move to Victoria! :biggrin:

I'm working hard researching areas to settle around Melbourne, as prep (we hope!) for our validation visit next year. Are you able to advise on the best places for AV's in the western areas? e.g. Point Cook, Ballarat, Geelong? OH works on the project management side, having worked his way up (armed forces), as opposed to 'hands on' at the moment, but has also been working on his licenses here in the UK for the last couple of years to "keep his hand in" and get ready for the civvie world.

As a basic starter (and to keep myself busy!) I stuck a pin in for the airport and worked my way out in a westerly direction! Am I wasting my time researching these areas as a starter? Should I be looking at Northern, Eastern areas with regards to better job opportunities for OH? Am really liking the look of the Western side (house prices being more attractive too), but don't want to get too excited and find that I should really be looking east!

Guest MovingOnUp

Got a fair few friends that live in Melbourne but none are Aviation types.

Avalon, Essendon Tullamarine are the big airports in Melbourne. Ballarat has an airfield too. IGeneral Aviation or commercial?

It gets cold in Ballarat in winter, not that Melbourne is much better. Panasonic who I work for in Brisbane have guys at Tullamarine but you would have to have a B2 for that. Minimum Radio subjects would be enough though. Restrictions for Electrics and Instruments wouldn't hamper an application.

http://www.aviationtrader.com.au/

http://www.aviationtrader.com.au/BrowseAndSearch/BrowseList.aspx?33000501601600000000190000000000

A guy I worked with in Adelaide is now with http://www.pelair.com.au/ in Melbourne. They just got a 10 years contract to provide a Flying Doctors (RFDS) service there.

http://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/Careers/Job-Vacancies/

Check out pprune too http://www.pprune.org/ nlots of talk about the local industry.

Rockwell Collins who I worked for in the UK have an HQ at Tullamarine. http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Careers.aspx

BAE Systems are everywhere too. A bit harder getting in with those 2 if you haven't got Permanent Visas/Citizenship. Don't be put off though as if they want you, they can work it out.

I have a contact at BAE in Adelaide, having got an interview there on an SIR visa. The Website just fires you back an auto-response if you haven't got Citizenship.

Of course, at a push there's the RAAF! Tried that but the visa failed me, again. Now there's some interesting Visa/Citizenship things going on with that scenario, which might prove useful. PM me about that.

Gavin

Cheers

Gavin

Hello,

Myself, my husband and our two boys are planning to come over early in the new year or earlier if my husband finds work. He has been in the Air Force for 22 years working as and Aircraft (mech) Engineer - unlicensed. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tori xx

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Gavin

Hi

my husband is a maintenance engineer (licensed) but has worked mainly on older planes dc10 and md11 for a cargo company,we have our visa but he is finding it difficult to find work.He works out of Belgium at the moment and has done for the last 5 years.As we have 3 children he would like to find a job before we go, or he goes ahead first to look.

He can change his shift to 28 on 18 off to spend time in oz looking,he has even thought of keeping his job here and moving to oz!! long commute !!

any help would be appreciated

thanks julie:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest flyfam

Hi everyone,

I see this is an older thread, curious how it worked out for some of you?

My husband and I are 3 years out, as he will be retiring from US military (Aviation Electronics Tech aircrew and Quality Assurance). He'll at that point have 20 years experience, however, I wanted to ask what this licensure is that would be required?

He's been to Australia and has spoken with some RAAF crew and understands, under particular conditions, that may be an option for him (overseas applicant).

However, he's also entertaining what opportunities may be available within the civilian sector.

He's been in WA (really loved it hence our research now), however, we are planning an extended visit next year. Would like to visit SA, etc.

Sending you thanks in advance, for any insight.

• 2 months later...

I am an LAME from India and have Indian LAME licenses on following aircrafts in Airframe and Engine Category;

1) ATR 72-500

2) Super King Air B200

3) King Air C90A/B

4) Pilatus PC 12/45

5) Bell 206L3/4

I have already got my Indian licenses assessed by CASA and can appear in CTC exams to convert my license to CASA. I have applied for VIC SS. Trade assessment is pending. Iam waiting for go ahead signal from VIC to apply for trade assessment.

I understand that this forum have many LAMEs who have migrated to OZ successfully. How is the job situation for AMEs in OZ? My current job is an an LAME with a private Airline in India. But I have around 10 years in general aviation as well.

If everything works out fine, I would like to work as an AME (Unlicensed) get acquainted with OZ way of Aircraft maintenance and then convert my license into CASA.

Can any of the respected members here throw some light?

• 1 year later...

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I guess i am a bit late to the party here.. anyways i am in the process of applying for state sponsorship from the northern territory as it is the only state currently sponsoring AMEs without any of the crazy conditions (Oh! am an AME, FAA A&P actually,signing off for a citation 560xl under a CAA Cayman islands authorization) I have recently got a certificate IV aeroskills (mechanical) from Aviation Australia (which was a battle by itself). Since you have graciously offered your help and expertise,he goes... do you have any aviation contacts in the northern territory? I am, prepared to do any kind of work as long as it involves engines and wings. Any "N" regs flying around there, the simplest for me is to initially start working on N regs until i get my CASA license sorted out. Thanks a bunch for your info.

Regards,

Leon

• 3 months later...

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I am a trainee aircraft maintenance for Air Mauritius. I would really like to know what kind of aircraft maintenance job opportunities are available in Australia at the moment. I'd be grateful if I could have your email address please if that's ok.

Many thanks

Hi...just jumping on this thread hope thats ok. I am currently in the process of applying for PR on a 189 as a nurse. My OH is an aircraft structures engineer plus inspector. He did his apprenticeship at BAe. We are looking at Adelaide area. On research there seems to be lots of aerospace companies in the area. Does anyone have any info on the job situation at the moment and opportunities coming up in the next 12 months. Thanks:)

Archived