When renting what do you actually pay for

Guest Mark2560

Guest Mark2560

I have never rented before so this is all new to me, I was wondering if anyone actually knows what you have to pay for and what the landlord pays for.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but who would be considered acceptable to give a personal reference?

Cheers

We used family friends to give telephone references and few past mortgage statements from the UK and my letter of employment in Australia to demonstrate our financial position.

Guest siamsusie
when renting you pay everything except building insurance,. you will also need ref's we needed 4 each and a letter from employers. you usually have to view and apply for a house and the first payment will be 2 weeks rent and bond.

As I have explained to you in a previous post, we as the owners pay the rates on a rented property in WA

We also pay the water rates but with an excess clause.

All repairs and maintenance are the owners responsibility also.

Susie

There are obviously variations between areas and/or landlords. We pay:

Rent

electricity

gas (except we don't have gas in our present house)

phone/internet

Our own contents insurance

We don't pay:

Council tax/rates

Water (either standing or use) unless we go over a specific amount which we never have.

Building insurance

On our first rental we were not asked for any references (but that was probably unusual).

On our present rental, we had to provide two personal references--they were willing to fax the UK. I also provided proof of income but they didn't need a reference from my employer (or, in my case, pension company).

Bob

• 1 year later...

I haven't been on here in so long, my husband was transferd from oz to another country with his company and fingers crossed we will be back soon. but in regard to this issue of rates we were paying them and thanks to the information Susie provided both in private messages and on the forums we have just received our refund of this overpayment, and know better for future rentals, so thank you very much for the help in this regard. however I would ask that in future when someone is saying something like this to not assume they are telling lies {an of course as it was not the normal way of things in this case}, there are both landlords and tennents out there who ignore the rules and i am wiser now. i do appreciated the advise that I was given and it really did help thank you

Water is included in our rent, and buildings insurance. We pay contents insurance, and all the other normal bills.

When you go around and view a property you can ask whats included and whats payable by the tennant. Some places, for example, include pool and yard maintenance in the rent, whereas other places the cost is on you.

In NSW, you pay the rent for the property, electricity, gas (if used) and water usage. You will usually have to pay a 4 week rental bond which is lodged with the Rental Bond Board and it is returned to you after you vacate the premises providing you have not caused any damage. It usually takes several weeks to get the bond back. The landlord pays for property rates and the other water charges besides the usage. If you want it, you can also get cable TV which you have to pay for.

We pay:

rent

electricity

We don't have to pay for water as we live in a complex and the units are not individually metered.

When we applied for the unit we included a reference from our previous landlord as well as a letter from our employer (but that was mainly because we only work as casuals at the moment and the estate agency just wanted to know that we were earning enough on average to cover the rent). Renting was actually a lot easier over here than I thought it would be.