Car dilemma when visitors are here

MikeW

We put a deposit on a 10 yr old Subaru Outback yesterday.

It's a 5 seater, 90000 kms - $16k. Expensive but that's the going rate.

Anyhow, I woke up this morning and thought of a scenario we'd not considered.

What are we going to do when parents come over to visit? We're a family of 4, so 2 visitors would not fit in the car to explore on the weekends.

How do people cope when visitors come?

I can think of 4 scenarios:

1) not buy the Subaru Outback (we have 3 day cooling period) and instead buy a 7 seater.

2) hire 7 seater when visitors are here - very expensive option, and as parents may stay for weeks this is not an affordable option.

3) It's more than likely we will be a 2 car family, so we could buy a small second car and when we have visitors go out in 2 cars. (2 lots of petrol when travel to coast etc)

4) stick with the subaru outback, and in a few months if money situation allows, buy a real old station wagon (7 seater). As it's unlikely we'll have visitors in first 6 months this would give us 6 months to look around for someone who's selling an old, cheap reliable one.

Other people must have the same dilemma as us and I'm wondering what people do?

Thanks!

Mike.

Based in Canberra and loving it.

Guest turboman

Are you having a laugh????

Your going to buy are a car for when you get friends over?

Why don't you become a taxi driver? problem solved.

My R8 is great for airport runs, get one.

Your in Aus so buy a V8 not a girl jap machine.

:))

Guest The Pom Queen

We were in this exact situation not only with cars but with the houses we chose, we finally accepted that a) we can't run two cars based on family who may come out once every two years.

B) we can't afford the extra mortgage for 25 years based on family coming out.

The only one I regret not doing is the house as I seriously don't mind people staying just wish we had more room.

The car we went halves with them on a rental when the last rellies were here.

Turboman - Thanks for the great advice ;-)

Peach & m2m - good to know i'm not the only one who has these dilemmas!

Just going to stick with the one car for now and see what happens. Will hopefully get to know someone who's looking to sell an old, cheap one.

Guest guest36187

We have always been a two car family. Opposing shifts at times dictates we have to be!

We give family the chance to use my little car. Im lucky enough to be able towalk to work. Anyone can use it'd. All we ask is that if they empty the tank, they refill it and if they are back in time they pick me up from work! (especially if it's in the mid arvo....walking home then can be a killer!)

Guest guest30038
We put a deposit on a 10 yr old Subaru Outback yesterday.

It's a 5 seater, 90000 kms - $16k. Expensive but that's the going rate.

That's what I paid for an 8 seater prado with slightly lesser mileage and only 7 yr old

Buy what suits your family best. If your parents come to stay they will understand. We have stayed with relatives in other countries and have always hired a car. It makes it clear that you do not expect them to run you around. We have had the opposite experience here when we had friends to stay who would not make their own travel arrangements and it was financially costly and annoying. Needless to say those people won't be coming to stay again.

Personally i wouldn't be putting too much emphasis on this :)

They are adults at the end of the day, and surely don't expect free accomodation AND transport when they come to visit?

If somebody came to visit me and asked 'How are we supposed to get around whilst we are here?' i would look at them blankly for just long enough for it too sink in, and then open another beer ;)

This is your home, not their freebie holiday destination. :)

We are a 2 car family and when we had visitors earlier in the year they just presumed that they could take one of the cars. I guess I was supposed to sit home all day with my 3 kids while my husband was away in his car. But we moved house late last year away from the train line and they hadn;t budgeted car hire when planning their trip. Turns out it was cheaper for them to hire a small car then to keep filling up our petrol guzzling landrover.

Guest guest36187

That's the trouble when we all move away! We are all treated as a freebie holiday resort!!!!! Lol!

Guest siamsusie

I love visitors, the more the merrier.

Give them a set of house keys, and let them amuse themselves.

Borrow my car, no problems, but please refill.

I always put a welcome pack of uptodate Tourist Brochures on their bed for them to get to know the area.

Good communication skills all around leads to a hopefully pleasant experience all around.

Back to Mike.. if you make it clear that car hire for your visitors is on the agenda no one will have any nasty financial surprises.

Susie x

We normally borrow my brothers when we go to Perth, (2 car family), but we have the same problem when people visit us in the UK as we are a one car family. But we live on the train line which has good access to London, and they can always hire cars if they have too. You also have to remember that people come to see you; you don't have to ferry them about evrywhere.

Archived