6 Months Ago

CharmedP3

today, we left a very cold and wintry England to start our new lives in WA and I can honestly say we are so happy with the way things are panning out for us.

Sure the first few weeks we had some rocky moments and it felt like we were just hemorrhaging money and everything seemed expensive.

However; hubby got a job 4 days after we arrived and started a week later and is still there and doing well. He worked some bloody long hours some weeks 12 hr days 7 days a week (his choice, it wasn't expected but the chance of the overtime was there, so he took it)...

These days he generally works 10 hours a day and half a day Saturday and that suits us. We rent a lovely house in Secret Harbour, have made loads of new friends and are experiencing the lifestyle we hoped we would have by making this move and certainly one, we couldn't have hoped to have in the UK.

We've looked into buying, but atm the mortgage repayments are far higher than we rent for, so whilst we could afford the repayments, we wouldn't be able to "DO" anything, so we are holding off on getting back on the property ladder for a while longer.

Kids have settled in well and making new friends all the time. We've just been on holiday to Sydney and Canberra to visit family and friends and whilst it was nice to have gone to Sydney and surrounds again, I am so glad we changed plans halfway through the visa process and decided to go to WA.... Sydney has changed so much in 10 years and it was just TOO fast paced for us now...lovely to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. I am definitely up for this slower pace of life that WA offers!!!

I've learnt to shop around and get to know what represents good value (in the supermarkets etc) and now things don't seem so expensive anymore.

I'm not working at the moment...the plan was to take a year off until our youngest starts pre-primary...but I'm starting to get itchy feet and fancy dipping my toes back into the workforce again...so am starting to look for p/t work but I am lucky that hubbys salary IS enough for a family of 4 to live off quite nicely, so no panic for me to find work.

So my advice to anyone having doubts about whether to give up their UK life for the unknown or wondering if they can manage on one salary etc is to just give it a go... yeah the road will be rocky from time to time...but if you are prepared to put effort in then you can live the life you dream :smile:

Guest Crosby Family
today, we left a very cold and wintry England to start our new lives in WA and I can honestly say we are so happy with the way things are panning out for us.

Sure the first few weeks we had some rocky moments and it felt like we were just hemorrhaging money and everything seemed expensive.

However; hubby got a job 4 days after we arrived and started a week later and is still there and doing well. He worked some bloody long hours some weeks 12 hr days 7 days a week (his choice, it wasn't expected but the chance of the overtime was there, so he took it)...

These days he generally works 10 hours a day and half a day Saturday and that suits us. We rent a lovely house in Secret Harbour, have made loads of new friends and are experiencing the lifestyle we hoped we would have by making this move and certainly one, we couldn't have hoped to have in the UK.

We've looked into buying, but atm the mortgage repayments are far higher than we rent for, so whilst we could afford the repayments, we wouldn't be able to "DO" anything, so we are holding off on getting back on the property ladder for a while longer.

Kids have settled in well and making new friends all the time. We've just been on holiday to Sydney and Canberra to visit family and friends and whilst it was nice to have gone to Sydney and surrounds again, I am so glad we changed plans halfway through the visa process and decided to go to WA.... Sydney has changed so much in 10 years and it was just TOO fast paced for us now...lovely to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. I am definitely up for this slower pace of life that WA offers!!!

I've learnt to shop around and get to know what represents good value (in the supermarkets etc) and now things don't seem so expensive anymore.

I'm not working at the moment...the plan was to take a year off until our youngest starts pre-primary...but I'm starting to get itchy feet and fancy dipping my toes back into the workforce again...so am starting to look for p/t work but I am lucky that hubbys salary IS enough for a family of 4 to live off quite nicely, so no panic for me to find work.

So my advice to anyone having doubts about whether to give up their UK life for the unknown or wondering if they can manage on one salary etc is to just give it a go... yeah the road will be rocky from time to time...but if you are prepared to put effort in then you can live the life you dream :smile:

Hi Charmedp3,Congrats on your move to Perth.:smile:

Do you mind if i ask how and what way did your husband find work ? We are hoping to be over in oct/ nov just had medicals done. How did you get your short term rental in Secret harbour?

Thanks Muriel

Hi Charmedp3,Congrats on your move to Perth.:smile:

Do you mind if i ask how and what way did your husband find work ? We are hoping to be over in oct/ nov just had medicals done. How did you get your short term rental in Secret harbour?

Thanks Muriel

Hi Muriel

Before we came out we compiled a list of companies in the area we figured would be ost suitable (in his case, the Kwinana Ind Est up on the Naval Base was ideal)... he made sure his CV was bang up to date, he had also compiled a little photographic portfolio of the work he'd been doing in the previous 12 months - created a PDF of it and stuck it on a USB stick. He had hiis certificates and passport (with visa) with him and basically went out prepared to go knocking on lots of doors. As it happens that wasn't necessary since he got offered a job on the spot at the first place he went.

Prior to leaving the UK he had emailed most of these same companies enquiring about work, letting them know when he was arriving and attaching his CV and portfolio etc. Only a couple of them bothered to respond....just to say "yeah thanks, come see us when you get here" I imagine that's quite common in the trades.

We looked up holiday rentals in Secret Harbour to find somewhere short term for when we arrived. I would normally recommend the landlord/lady, but as we have had some post rental issues with them (we went on to rent for 3 months from them) I don't feel I CAN recommend them but that's not to say anyone else would have problems with a short term rental from this person.

Are you planning on coming to SH then? I can certainly recommend it lol. We love it here....so close to the beach, good schools etc :biggrin:

Archived