Advice - Can't get into local Uk School..

Sunshine111

Hello there,

Trying to get my 5 yr old into Year 1 in a local village school in UK. Secured a rental & are only x3 mins walk from the school but have been advised he is unlikely to get in.

Spoke to the school directly & they have a waiting list & have suggested it is first come, first served, even though the school is 3 mins away for our new address....

Any advice on what we can do? Can we appeal? Wondering if anyone else has experienced this & what they did?! thanks.

There are ways if you desperately want this school but be prepared to fight.

Friends of mine went to the local authority and now under data protection you can request information regarding the school playground size to the ratio of children the school can accept.

Friends found that the school they wanted were witholding 2 places and advertised that they accepted 30 places when they could have accepted 32. They went to tribunal and won.

Long way to go but depends what you want.

It's the way they allocate spaces I'm afraid. Any schools worth their salt will fill their classes to max their funding. This means you can move to within spitting distance and you won't get in. Stupid I know - but there you are. The advantage is that if you are close you should be near the top of the list, after siblings etc.

Unless of course the school uses a lottery system, and then it's a completely new can of worms.

thanks both Dawny & Ozzbound.

Dawny, am still in Oz & looks like we are no.1 on the waiting list, so fingers crossed we should be ok. If not, they have a place at our no.2 choice. So for us it should be win/win.

Thanks again!

Hi, something they don't tell you is that remember to phone them at the end of every term to make sure your child's name stays on the waiting list! That is if you are still in limbo come september, Good news that you are first on the list, fingers crossed you will deffo have that place all sorted x

Archived