Proof of your Medicare eligibility

cat4er

I received a letter from Medicare today stating my Medicare Card is about to expire and they are asking for:

"current letter from DIAC confirming that all pople listed on the card have a current application for permanent residency"

any idea how to get such letter?

thanks!

I went today to Medicare with email from 2 days ago which was sent to Cat 5 applicants. I also showed them BVB I got last week.

This was not enough for Medicare as a proof my application being still considered. I walked to Sydney DIAC office, queued foe 30 minutes and then requested evidence of my application being processed. The lady at DIAC just wondered if this is even possible and asked me to call GSM.

Anyone ever got a letter for Medicare that would state current progress of the application?

How very odd. Are you British? Surely showing a British passport would be enough to cover you under the reciprocal agreement? No letter required.

I am not British and I have been on Medicare for 3 years since I lodged my application.

I either was lucky to speak to an idiot or they really have strenghtened the rules. I called DIAC and they told me I should request such letter and wil get it back in 2 weeks.

I have claimed about $45 dollars to Medicare in last 3 years. Have very bad feeling about this, worst experience ever in 7 years here.

Hi, sorry if my question sounds dump..

Is it that we can enrol for Medicare even if we haven't move to Australia? And do not have a permanent address in Australia?

I have gotten my PR last December and will only be moving to Canberra for good this September.

Does that mean that I can register myself via the internet now?

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/3101-medicare-enrolment-application.pdf

Please advice.

Thanks heaps! :biggrin:

Hi, sorry if my question sounds dump..

Is it that we can enrol for Medicare even if we haven't move to Australia? And do not have a permanent address in Australia?

I have gotten my PR last December and will only be moving to Canberra for good this September.

Does that mean that I can register myself via the internet now?

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/3101-medicare-enrolment-application.pdf

Please advice.

Thanks heaps! :biggrin:

I don't think you can enroll if you are not here, I have an oshore application. Bare in mind once you apply you have to pay 1.5% from your income in taxes for it.

Guest kittymeow

Hi Mr Kuching,

Sorry, side questions. Are u able to apply TFN online? Or I should wait until I touch down in Australia soil? I'm planning for trip to Perth on Sept to validate our visa, just wondering I should get my TFN before my first entry to the country. I have friends mailing address that can receive mail.

Hi Mr Kuching,

Sorry, side questions. Are u able to apply TFN online? Or I should wait until I touch down in Australia soil? I'm planning for trip to Perth on Sept to validate our visa, just wondering I should get my TFN before my first entry to the country. I have friends mailing address that can receive mail.

Why would you want to apply for TFN before you come? It takes about 10 minutes to do it online, you'll get a temporary number straight away. But I think you can apply if you want it bad.

I received a letter from Medicare today stating my Medicare Card is about to expire and they are asking for:

"current letter from DIAC confirming that all pople listed on the card have a current application for permanent residency"

any idea how to get such letter?

thanks!

Hi, not sure if you are on BVA? I have a feeling you are, and I asked my family member who is on BVA what his thoughts were. He suggestion as follows.

Can you print off a current copy of your entitlements details from the immigration sites application status for general skilled migration and use that with a copy of your bridging visa. The day you print it, it will have that days date showing your current visa status.

This might suffice.

I think that BVA was originally only meant to be a short term visa, and because of the meddling (polite word for what I really think) by the former Immi minister C Evans Medicare is having to cope with people who have been on BVA for years, and don't know how to deal with the situation.

Hope you get it sorted, and let us know, in case others are affected in the future.

Hi, not sure if you are on BVA? I have a feeling you are, and I asked my family member who is on BVA what his thoughts were. He suggestion as follows.

Can you print off a current copy of your entitlements details from the immigration sites application status for general skilled migration and use that with a copy of your bridging visa. The day you print it, it will have that days date showing your current visa status.

This might suffice.

I think that BVA was originally only meant to be a short term visa, and because of the meddling (polite word for what I really think) by the former Immi minister C Evans Medicare is having to cope with people who have been on BVA for years, and don't know how to deal with the situation.

Hope you get it sorted, and let us know, in case others are affected in the future.

Thanks ramot,

I applied for BVB 5 days ago and they did not care about that, I showed them the sticker, I showed them online application status and email recently sent to Cat 5 applicants (dated 12/7/2011) with my name and details on it.

This was not enough, even the lady on the phone from Medicare told me it was sufficient.

I am hiring a boat and will come on boat so I don't have to get any more discgrace like this.

Guest PommieLou
Hi Mr Kuching,

As others have already said, it takes a few minutes to apply for your TFN online. I applied in Australia and have one set up even though I'm not working. (I'm 22 weeks pregnant). You can get a TFN at any time once you're in Australia whether you plan to work immediately or not. I think I got my letter confirming my TFN a few weeks after I applied. I don't think you can apply until you're in Australia as I'm pretty sure the questions ask what type of visa you have and when you arrived etc. Not sure what visa you're coming here on but I'd apply online once you get here.

Also, just so you know, you can claim back your tax for the rest of the financial year in the UK if you plan on being out here for a while. I did and got nearly a grand back! Happy days! : ) You just need to fill in a P85 (see link below). http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

It's not something the Tax Office seem to advertise but you're entitled to it!

How very odd. Are you British? Surely showing a British passport would be enough to cover you under the reciprocal agreement? No letter required.

Reciprocal agreement is not based on nationality but rather residency. I think for the 457 you have to show proof of residency in Britain and/or a NHS card.

Guest kittymeow
As others have already said, it takes a few minutes to apply for your TFN online. I applied in Australia and have one set up even though I'm not working. (I'm 22 weeks pregnant). You can get a TFN at any time once you're in Australia whether you plan to work immediately or not. I think I got my letter confirming my TFN a few weeks after I applied. I don't think you can apply until you're in Australia as I'm pretty sure the questions ask what type of visa you have and when you arrived etc. Not sure what visa you're coming here on but I'd apply online once you get here.

Also, just so you know, you can claim back your tax for the rest of the financial year in the UK if you plan on being out here for a while. I did and got nearly a grand back! Happy days! : ) You just need to fill in a P85 (see link below). http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

It's not something the Tax Office seem to advertise but you're entitled to it!

Thanks PommieLou :biggrin: I'm gonna enter the country for few days only. Trying to speed thing up since I'll be bz with job hunting, accommodation etc at that time. I'm on 176 visa. Then I should just wait for my arrival in Australia and apply online.

Congratulation on ur pregnancy :hug: I'm at my last trimester will due anytime now..

Back to the Medicare topic, I called DIAC and asked nicely to send me a letter comfirming that my application is under consideration. They were very nice and actually sent me an email today with the letter which was good for Medicare. Medicare staff again acted very unfriendly and refused to give me a receipt for dropping down the letter.

I think medicare is now focusing on people who overstay and use Medicare.

I don't think you can enroll if you are not here, I have an oshore application. Bare in mind once you apply you have to pay 1.5% from your income in taxes for it.

thanks Cat4er, yes you are right about it, I just checked and confirmed that I have to be in Australia for the application.

But I don't know about the 1.5% to pay from my income taxes. How does it go about? Does the payment starts even if I have not yet started working and total zero income?

Thanks for the update. I assume you are covered again now. Out of interest my family member's medicare was only re-newed for 6 months the last time instead of the previous 1 year renewal, so it will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months when it needs renewing.

thanks Cat4er, yes you are right about it, I just checked and confirmed that I have to be in Australia for the application.

But I don't know about the 1.5% to pay from my income taxes. How does it go about? Does the payment starts even if I have not yet started working and total zero income?

Hi kuching,

you have to pay that much from your income while in Australia. Or 3% and depends heavily on family and external health insurance.

Don't know how it works in the year you move here, as financial year here starts from 1.7. This is a question for an accountant. Depends on agreements between U.K. and Australia.

Cheers,

Guest PommieLou
Thanks PommieLou :biggrin: I'm gonna enter the country for few days only. Trying to speed thing up since I'll be bz with job hunting, accommodation etc at that time. I'm on 176 visa. Then I should just wait for my arrival in Australia and apply online.

Congratulation on ur pregnancy :hug: I'm at my last trimester will due anytime now..

No worries :wink: Good luck with the job hunting etc. I hope it all goes well for you. It's really quick and easy to apply online for the TFN so you should get it through well before you start work.

Congratulations on your pregnancy too! :hug: I have just over 17 weeks to go now and I'm still suffering with morning sickness! It's all worth it in the end though. I can't wait to meet my little one in November! If you plan to have any other children out here in Oz in the future, I can assure you the care I've received here has been fantastic. I seem to be treated better than pregnant friends back in the UK!

Once again, good luck with everything! x

Archived