The Right Decision

gilliantay

We sometimes wonder if things happen for a reason..........................

I am sat here at 02.45 am after a very emotional day........................

We said goodbye to my MIL today - it was her funeral.

I am so grateful that both myself and my partner had the chance to spend the last 4 weeks with her even though she was extremely ill or should I say went rapidly downhill on our return to the UK...............

It begs the question..............was she waiting for her son to return 'home' ?

I do not think I could have faced another telephone call at stupid o'clock in the morning if I had still been in Australia.................................

I am soooooooo glad to be 'home'

Gill

Guest siamsusie

:hug: Gillian, thats so sad.

I am pleased your husband was with his mum towards the end, I am sure that meant a lot to them both.

I have a couple of close friends who didnt quite make it back in time and this is one of the minus facts about migration.

I am pleased you guys have made the right decision for you, thats all that matters.

Susie x

Yes,

Something that people really have to think long and hard about.

We were travelling back to Scotland from Australia when my mum died suddenly.

We were only in Australia a matter of 3 months when the FIL died suddenly.

Very emotional and costly (if you want to keep travelling back) but this should not put people off moving across the pond............

The subject of death should be discussed in the planning stages of such a big move - it is bad enough when you are close to home but extremely traumatic when you are thousands of miles away.

People also need to make themselves aware of what leave they are entitled to if such an even happens......................

Sorry to be so morbid, but I really think it is a subject where the majority of people bury their heads in the sand and say.........."it will never happen to me/us"

Guest siamsusie

One of my husband's collegues was bbq'ing with us in WA when he was told his son had been murdered in London.

The planes from Karratha to Perth had ceased for the day which was a total nightmare for him and his wife who was down in Perth.

My husband's company are great they do give you very substantial compassionate leave which is toally aside from your holiday leave and lst class plane seats for both were purchased for them FOC for the return trip back to the UK and like wise for the Coroners Court.

It certainly helps when your employers are sympathetic.

As you say Gillian it can happen to anyone and it must be one of the hardest aspects of migrating so far away.

Susie

:hug: Sorry to hear of your loss but, as you say, these things often happen for a reason.

My folks have always said not to bother going back for a funeral - and I wouldnt, I would be going back for the one/s left behind but I have missed my grandmother's funeral along with those of various aunts, uncles and cousins. It's very isolated being on the other side of the world.

One of my husband's collegues was bbq'ing with us in WA when he was told his son had been murdered in London.

The planes from Karratha to Perth had ceased for the day which was a total nightmare for him and his wife who was down in Perth.

My husband's company are great they do give you very substantial compassionate leave which is toally aside from your holiday leave and lst class plane seats for both were purchased for them FOC for the return trip back to the UK and like wise for the Coroners Court.

It certainly helps when your employers are sympathetic.

As you say Gillian it can happen to anyone and it must be one of the hardest aspects of migrating so far away.

Susie

That would have been one of the hardest things to cope with Susie. When it's your Mum and Dad dieing it's something you know is going to happen one day and I fully expected not to see my parents again after our last visit. They are going to pass away one day and even if you are in the UK there is nothing to say you would be with them when they go.

My parents are still hanging in there at 86 and 90 and my in-laws are both still around. Bit younger than mine though.

It's not a nice time for anyone and I guess we will have to go back for the funerals sometime.

I think most employers here have a lot of poms on their books and from what I've heard from friends over the years, most have had no problems when it comes to going back at short notice.

so sorry to hear of your lose Gill but glad you got to spend time with her.

You are right, when emmigrating it is something very important to consider. It scares me the possibility of getting that phone call in the middle of the night & not being to hand.

Amongst other things, something else we did not think about, when we left as 20 somethings over 10 yrs ago.

Home in 3&1/2 wks & no matter what is happening over there UK/Euro crisis, I think for us it is about a sense of belonging & being surrounded by the people that mean the most. No about of sunshine is going to change that for us.....

Guest siamsusie
That would have been one of the hardest things to cope with Susie. When it's your Mum and Dad dieing it's something you know is going to happen one day and I fully expected not to see my parents again after our last visit. They are going to pass away one day and even if you are in the UK there is nothing to say you would be with them when they go.

My parents are still hanging in there at 86 and 90 and my in-laws are both still around. Bit younger than mine though.

It's not a nice time for anyone and I guess we will have to go back for the funerals sometime.

I think most employers here have a lot of poms on their books and from what I've heard from friends over the years, most have had no problems when it comes to going back at short notice.

I agree Paul, it was horrendous for them...

Yes, I agree you would have to be a pretty ruthless employer not to be sympathetic at times like this.

Susie x

Archived