Anyone else unhappy living in Oz?

Guest StuckontheCC

Guest StuckontheCC

*Sigh*... I don't know where to start but need to know I'm not the only one not enjoying living here.

*Sigh*... I don't know where to start but need to know I'm not the only one not enjoying living here.

:hug:, Your not alone, there are quite a few members of PIO who have gone back to the UK or are planning on going back, as Petals says have a read of our MBTTUK section as this is mainly were they post. Hopefully there will be someone there who feels the same that you can chat with,,

Lot of luck with everything

Cal x

Follow the heart. Currently in UK, but am self aware enough to know that if some apsect of my life troubles me, its quite simple.......I change it, life is too short. If we don't enjoy Oz then I will know that the Moving Back to the UK thread is very helpful. Trust me! We aren't even in Oz yet but I read people's experiences. the rich tapestry of human experience is invaluable.

Hope you make the right choice for you and all involved.

:pirateface_yes_sm_c

From what we have heard you are not alone, not by a long shot. Some of the main reasons for not being happy are missing family and friends, not being able to settle or generally missing what you had in the UK and left behind, to name a few.

Have a think about what is making you not happy being in Oz and see if there is any way you can resolve it, skype, getting family over or moving around Australia are possible options. Once you can pin point what the reasons are you may feel a little bit better and be able to work on them.

At the end of the day though you have to do what is right for you and your family (if you have one here). If you do go back to the UK, there is no shame in that as it is not for everyone. You can hold your head up high and say that you gave it a go. You were not too scared to jump in and try it. You will have memories to take back with you that some people can only dream about. Like we have always said about moving out here, you can look back in 10/20 years and say you did it, not what if.:wink:

nope, you are not alone! we are in a fortunate enough position to be heading back..... However, interesting post, because I asked myself the same question at the end of the year & after finding PIP found there are many people who feel the same for varying reasons.

Been away from UK 10 yrs & it has been a fab adventure but we've done it now & now it's time to go home......

Currently in UK, but am self aware enough to know that if some apsect of my life troubles me, its quite simple.......I change it, life is too short.

Couldn't agree more, if it is possible & thankfully for us it is! but for some with pehaps mixed marriages it isn't quite so easy...... e.g. One a Brit & One an Aussie & I have read how hard that must be to find a compromise, especially once your kids get to a certain age & the feeling of being trapped. I have that feeling now & I am only 3&1/2 wks off getting on a plane.... Amazing how the blue sky & sunshine does nothing to lift that heavy heart when you are somewhere you don't want to be....

Guest StuckontheCC
Couldn't agree more, if it is possible & thankfully for us it is! but for some with pehaps mixed marriages it isn't quite so easy...... e.g. One a Brit & One an Aussie & I have read how hard that must be to find a compromise, especially once your kids get to a certain age & the feeling of being trapped. I have that feeling now & I am only 3&1/2 wks off getting on a plane.... Amazing how the blue sky & sunshine does nothing to lift that heavy heart when you are somewhere you don't want to be....

I am one of those in a mixed marriage but we met in London and married and lived there for a while. For some reason I was convinced by hubby that Australia was better to raise children as he was remembering his own childhood, but things have changed since then and our lifestyle has taken a turn for the worse due to it being very expensive in Sydney. We have made so many compromises like moving out of Sydney and the commute is a killer for hubby and I'm effectively a single parent with no friends or family (except the IL's which don't help but like to be waited on and tell me how much my children are nothing like me!) We don't get to see our Aussies friends much because of the distance.

We had a good life in the UK. I knew I wasn't in love with Australia from previous holidays but thought I could manage but found a lot of mums at playgroup aren't that friendly and like to have a pom bash every now and then.

I also swore to myself that after being freezing cold in my first house that needed central heating put in I wouldn't live like that again and here I am freezing because there is not heating/double glazing etc... I liken the houses here to those birthday cakes you see that look pretty but are made of foam inside.. the houses look normal but when you live in them come the winter or summer you realise how crap they are and not to mention your new pets the cockroaches....at one rental house I woke up several time to them crawling on me!

I could go but I feel so bitter and don't want this to take over my life.

Keep your chin up and don't let the buggers get you down. I go from one day loving Australia to hating it the next. Starting a new life we have lots of hopes and dreams. Some may be achievable and some unrealistic. I think many of us from the Uk have a view that Australia is some kind of paradise when in many ways it is no better.

There is much to admire about Australia and Aussies but since coming here I can only view it as a protectionist, xenophobic, racist, rip-off, anti-free market country run by oligarchs for their own benefit. Neither of the main political parties can be described as socially progressive or have a positive vision for improving the country and its place in the world.

Unfortunately, we are financially better off here than in the UK and the Uk has major problems which I can no longer see any political party having a vision or plan for resolving. It is sinking further into a hellhole run by politically correct little Hitlers at all levels where no-one takes responsibility for anything in the public or private sectors (why haven't the directors of RBS, Lloyds, Northern Rock been prosecuted for bringing down the banks?, Why has nothing been done to deport foreign criminals 'because of the human rights'). Meanwhile, an increasing number of layabouts sponge off the state expecting eveyone else to pay for them in life or commit crime and are not punished and decent hard working, honest people are disadvanted at every opportunity I know I sound like a Daily Mail reader but I don't see much of value in the Uk and I don't want to go back there.

Having said that, I'd love to hear people's views about Australia from Canada, NZ, Ireland, USA, South Africa and how Australia or the UK compares to those countries. Are we being whinging poms or do we have a valid point?

Guest Brokenhearted
I am one of those in a mixed marriage but we met in London and married and lived there for a while. For some reason I was convinced by hubby that Australia was better to raise children as he was remembering his own childhood, but things have changed since then and our lifestyle has taken a turn for the worse due to it being very expensive in Sydney. We have made so many compromises like moving out of Sydney and the commute is a killer for hubby and I'm effectively a single parent with no friends or family (except the IL's which don't help but like to be waited on and tell me how much my children are nothing like me!) We don't get to see our Aussies friends much because of the distance.

We had a good life in the UK. I knew I wasn't in love with Australia from previous holidays but thought I could manage but found a lot of mums at playgroup aren't that friendly and like to have a pom bash every now and then.

I also swore to myself that after being freezing cold in my first house that needed central heating put in I wouldn't live like that again and here I am freezing because there is not heating/double glazing etc... I liken the houses here to those birthday cakes you see that look pretty but are made of foam inside.. the houses look normal but when you live in them come the winter or summer you realise how crap they are and not to mention your new pets the cockroaches....at one rental house I woke up several time to them crawling on me!

I could go but I feel so bitter and don't want this to take over my life.

OMG, the cockroaches!! No matter what we did, we could not get the average down to less than one a day, and that's definitely one too many. And one evening we only popped to the neighbours for a BBQ, and on our return found four cockroaches running riot in the kitchen and a nice Huntsman in one of the bedrooms! What a welcome! One evening I had one running over my foot which was on the sofa as I thought I was going to have a nice relax after putting the kids to bed......

As far as the houses go, it was like living in a dark oven in the summer - I hated having the blinds down all day and hardly being able to see out, just to keep from getting too hot. And I've seen my ex on skype this week (he is in Aus) - he was sitting on the sofa that evening wearing a woolly hat, a fleece and tucked up in a sleeping bag, trying to keep warm!

(I know I can't really comment as I was only in Aus such a short time, so I will counter the above by saying I really liked it and everyone was very friendly!)

Guest StuckontheCC

I was stuck behind a ute the other day which had a large sticker in the back window the shape of Australia and it read " Love Australia or F**k off " to which I thought in my mind "I'd f**k off happily".

My friend who helped set up USwitch in the UK is here now in Sydney setting up Make it cheaper Australia..so I called up and compared electricity & gas companies and made a switch but because the system is so archaic they can only transfer after the meeting reading which is done every three months even though when you move into or out of a property they charge you $25 to get a meter reading..so three months later the transfer has been done and I receive a letter from the new provider telling me of a massive price hike and I'm now stuck in a 2 year contract grrrr....

Archived