Travel Insurance for Aged Mother

Debbie Emblem

We moved to Melbourne from Scotland in January, and would now like for my 77 year old mum to come over and stay for a few months. As my sister is in New Zealand, she'll spend her time between the two countries. Has anyone had any experience of aged parents coming over? It's just that it doesn't appear to be very easy to get insurance to cover a long stay. Any advice would be grateful.:confused:

My grandma (84) used Saga when she came over 18 months ago. She had no problems at all with pre-existing conditions, and I am sure that the cost was reasonable (I assume, I am sure she would have told me about it had it not been!).

Guest GeorgeD

The other one to look at is Age Concern...

My father used a company called Avanti Insurance. He was 75 when he flew and got cover for a 45 day trip for around GBP110. They were much cheaper than Saga and Age Concern.

He has since turned 76, and unfortunately they only insure 76-85 for a maximum of 31 days at a time, so if he were to do the trip again he could only be covered for that length of time.

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, I'll look into John Lewis' insurance, as well as Saga.

You are most welcome and good luck.

Do look at Shel's link she gave you, there were some promising aspects there to consider as well.

I hope you all have a wonderful time Debbie.

love Susie x

Archived