how do we get 40kilos from singapore?

kellyjamie

Guest Billy

Yup, as long as you have 1 way tickets and an unvalidated permanent residency visa you get double allowance.

bear in mind children get half an adults allowance so that doubles to 20.

phone singapore airlines to put your mind at ease though.

Hi Kelly,

The main reason we chose Emirates was the 30kg allowance for all 4 of us (even the 3 year old), plus another 4 x 7kg for the carry on. I'm not sure we could get by on 20kg each.

But if you're on a PR visa (is it?) you may be able to get extra allowance since you haven't validated. You might also get this on other visas, but it varies amongst airlines I believe (but I'm not sure).

Aside from this, I'm afraid I'm not much help, which basically means oops, I've not been much help :)

Anyway, great news for you and good luck :)

Cheers,

Mike

Guest scubabud

Hi Kelly, we've booked with Singapore and I telephoned the customer service line to ask about the 40kg's I was told aslong as its your first trip into Oz with ur visa then it is automatically given to you when you check in, hope this helps x

Marg

Hi,

i rang the booking office and they said to send on a copy of your visa grant letter along with your ticket reference number. They amend your tickets to reflect the 40kg allowance for each passenger, including a 3 year old. And we each get the 7kg carry on luggage.

hope it helps,

Harry.

Hi Kelly,

The main reason we chose Emirates was the 30kg allowance for all 4 of us (even the 3 year old), plus another 4 x 7kg for the carry on. I'm not sure we could get by on 20kg each.

But if you're on a PR visa (is it?) you may be able to get extra allowance since you haven't validated. You might also get this on other visas, but it varies amongst airlines I believe (but I'm not sure).

Aside from this, I'm afraid I'm not much help, which basically means oops, I've not been much help :)

Anyway, great news for you and good luck :)

Cheers,

Mike

I meant to say also that this is because we've already had our validation trip so we wouldn't qualify for any additional baggage allowance, otherwise we might have checked out some of the other airlines a bit more.:goofy:

Yep we flew Singapore in Jan and our travel agent sorted out the extra baggage allowance for us at the time of booking... he just faxed copies of our visa grant letter to the airline...

However..when we checked in we were told we were well over the limit of 20 kg. Thankfully I had taken the booking confirmation with me that clearly showed the extra allowance and the check in guy just said "that's fine" when he saw the confirmation!

Kelly,

One bit of advice is if you are flying with BMI from Edinburgh they will ask for you to show them the email from Singapore so make sure you have copy with you. Also, make sure you book flights as one i.e don't book your Edi- Lndn flight separately as you will not get 40kgs then!

Good Luck

:hug:

Yep we flew Singapore in Jan and our travel agent sorted out the extra baggage allowance for us at the time of booking... he just faxed copies of our visa grant letter to the airline...

However..when we checked in we were told we were well over the limit of 20 kg. Thankfully I had taken the booking confirmation with me that clearly showed the extra allowance and the check in guy just said "that's fine" when he saw the confirmation!

I'd second that - We'd been given the migrants' double allowance but hit the wall at check-in when we were told we were waaaay over the limit.

Fortunately we too had asked for written confirmation of this when we booked our tickets so a quick call to HQ had it sorted very soon.

Not sure it would have been that straight forward if we'd just assumed it would be OK and hadn't had the proof to hand.

It may be overkill, but that final check-in can be very stressful at the best of times so I'd suggest having a word with the check-on supervisor before you even get to the desk just to make sure everyone is singing off the same hymnsheet regarding your extra baggage allowance.

Guest Billy

Sounds like they misunderstood you. Just has to be a permanent residency visa that hasnt been validated and a 1 way flight.

try again and you should get a different person who hopefully knows the score.

Archived