New TRA Benchmarks

George Lombard

From 1 July TRA is going to change the goalposts for trades applicants again. These changes apply to people who aren't in a nominated occupation from a nominated country or otherwise dealt with through the onshore graduate ("Job Ready") and 457 programs.

This information has been released at http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/Pages/MSA.aspx.

The specific guidelines are at http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/Documents/MSAAppGuide.pdf

For what it's worth, the TRA procedure seems to be a retreat to an old-fashioned world where tradesmen learned through apprenticeships only, but one thing TRA is offering which may or may not be a problem, is points test advice, ie DIAC is going to involve TRA in confirming that claimed work experience is relevant and "closely related" work experience:

"If you have previously undertaken skills assessment through TRA, but DIAC now require you to obtain a Migration Points Test Advice, you will need to complete a TRA Migration Skills Assessment and Points Test Advice Application Form for TRA to reassess your evidence in order to provide you with Points Test Advice. A successful skills assessment from TRA under previous skills assessment criteria does not guarantee that your qualifications and employment will meet the standard required for Migration Points Test Advice. "

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest jennyh

omg :( i was sending my TRA application this friday, but its the old format. i dont believe this. How long is this going to take now. Interview and every bloody thing. FFS i'm never gonna get to oz. :(:(:(

Hi, just reading the points changes, and a little concerned..... We are looking at starting the process, my OH is carpenter for 22 years age 38.... Not sure on our chances now,......and also what he does first, does he do the TRA test or the English???? Then apply, we are looking at WA STATE SPONSOR VISA any help would be great thanks

Hi, just reading the points changes, and a little concerned..... We are looking at starting the process, my OH is carpenter for 22 years age 38.... Not sure on our chances now,......and also what he does first, does he do the TRA test or the English???? Then apply, we are looking at WA STATE SPONSOR VISA any help would be great thanks

I'd do TRA first as without that being OK the IELTS test is useless. You have to do the TRA Points Test advice now as well.

Looking at the points test you should be fine so don't panic :wink:

:laugh:thanks for that, fees a bit more re-assured now, yours seemed to go through quite quick for the wa state sponsor?? Did you use agent or do it yourself, any help would be apprecaited...so we need to do the tra first then the ILETS/

THANKS AGAIN

I'd do TRA first as without that being OK the IELTS test is useless. You have to do the TRA Points Test advice now as well.

Looking at the points test you should be fine so don't panic :wink:

:laugh:thanks for that, fees a bit more re-assured now, yours seemed to go through quite quick for the wa state sponsor?? Did you use agent or do it yourself, any help would be apprecaited...so we need to do the tra first then the ILETS/

THANKS AGAIN

I went DIY and wasn't too bad. I can help you along in terms of what you need to provide if that will help. Luckily I didn't need IELTS as WA accept British passport as IELTS 6 but if you need extra points then it will have to be done.

I went DIY and wasn't too bad. I can help you along in terms of what you need to provide if that will help. Luckily I didn't need IELTS as WA accept British passport as IELTS 6 but if you need extra points then it will have to be done.

Were thinking DIY also, but great to know we can help on this forum, cheers will be in touch when we have some questions...

cheers sharon xx:biggrin:

Hiya my husband is also a carpenter but has no papers? how far have you got n wot agent r u guys using?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi George,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I was hoping that you offer some advice/knowledge as you have been so good for information in the past. We have been trying to get to Oz. My husband is a Stonemason but had not trade papers, we got an AQFIII in Ireland and he has had his skill approved by the TRA.

We have been waiting on South Australia to open up again so we can apply for State Sponsorship as we are five points short. They now have "Special Conditions Apply" against Stonemason on their SMP. I have clicked the link they tell you to go to assess your eligibility. And got this

"Please note: Special conditions are listed in red on the South Australia’s List of Occupations for State Sponsorship – July 2011.

6.1 This occupation is limited to applicants who are recent international students, who studied at a South Australian institution and where this study meets the DIAC two year study requirement.

AND

6.1.1 Have a legitimate job offer of at least 6 months (into the future) in South Australia in a skilled occupation; AND have commenced working in that occupation; AND continue to reside in South Australia; AND

6.1.2 Have met general work experience requirement (see 7. Work Experience below) of which at least 50% has been achieved in South Australia; OR have completed a PHD or Masters by Research program with a South Australian educational institution

6.2 Note that the Work Experience Waiver may not be used with the “Special Conditions Apply” waiver.

6.3 Note that planning levels apply to all occupations and their availability for sponsorship is subject to change."

I have no idea what it means, he has never worked in SA and as I said had no trade papers so got AQF III papers in Ireland based on his 17+ years work experience. Does the above mean we can't get SS from SA.

Can you tell me who else is sponsoring stonemasons

Any help would be great, thanks.

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona,

Sorry to chip in but I think SA is out for you guys. Here is the list of states where you can find the SS occupation lists.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/nom-state-terr.htm

I had a quick look and it seems ACT is your only chance except TAS but then you have to have a job offer or firm interest from an employer.

Hope this helps,

Justin:wink:

Hi,

We got our TRA approval in May, under pathway E, and plan to apply for a 176 visa once we get state sponsorship (fingers crossed). Do we need to go back and get a points test advice thing from the TRA now....???

Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Fiona

• 1 month later...
Guest CNEALE100

Hello there,

This skills business is confusing eh! My OH is a Carpenter/Joiner and we are hoping to get out to Perth in early 2012 via a spouse visa as my children and I are Australian Citizens. What does he need to do to work in hs trade once we arrive in Oz? Thanks in advance for your advice. Cx

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOhh TRA is getting me down! We applied to TRA in July, it was acknowledged almost immediately and approved within the month. HOWEVER, the job title was slightly different to that on the list for WA so at end of July we reapplied to change slightly (a further 600 dollars lighter), heard nothing until last week when we have been given an application number.... has anyone else applied recently and has had a faster response? It seems strange as they were so quick last time. Thanks for any help x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest irish Tony

Hello i wonder can anyone give me help me?

I am awaiting my TRA results and on the 30th my finalisation date appeared but it

still say awaiting assesment and i have checked today 4/10/2011 and it remains the same. my head is melted i just want a fing ansewer.I have not traveled to oz yet as i want to have this done before i leave ireland.

so if any one can help that would be great.

Thanks people!!

Hello i wonder can anyone give me help me?

I am awaiting my TRA results and on the 30th my finalisation date appeared but it

still say awaiting assesment and i have checked today 4/10/2011 and it remains the same. my head is melted i just want a fing ansewer.I have not traveled to oz yet as i want to have this done before i leave ireland.

so if any one can help that would be great.

Thanks people!!

Shouldn't be long once your finalisation date comes up, give it a couple more days :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fiona

Just thought i would ask who your husband did his AQF with as we are having problems with TRA, my husband is a painter and decorator but didnt have paper work he is 41 and served his time when he was 16. We applied to trade through easy migrate last oct but got a knock back as he didnt have paperwork, so went and done an NVQ, and then easy migrate said in july this year that that was no good, so we have jacked them and going to try on our own, but easy migrate says he will need to get an AQF, so was wondering where and how much.

many thanks for any help i can get.

Anne

Hi Fiona

Just thought i would ask who your husband did his AQF with as we are having problems with TRA, my husband is a painter and decorator but didnt have paper work he is 41 and served his time when he was 16. We applied to trade through easy migrate last oct but got a knock back as he didnt have paperwork, so went and done an NVQ, and then easy migrate said in july this year that that was no good, so we have jacked them and going to try on our own, but easy migrate says he will need to get an AQF, so was wondering where and how much.

many thanks for any help i can get.

Anne

Anne, not sure if you've had an answer to your question on the AQF III for a painter. But I have a client who got his AQF III in painting and decorating this year through a company in London. Darren Le'Ake runs it and also someone called Allan works there with the applicants. Here is their website: https://www.australianskillassessments.com/

Sandra

• 3 weeks later...
Hiya my husband is also a carpenter but has no papers? how far have you got n wot agent r u guys using?

Hi, well we have now lodged our skills assesment to VETASSES, so need to wait for that, took ages as we have been trying to get hold of old employee ref etc etc....nightmare but we think we have it all now, a few ex employes are no longer in business so had to do a signed afidafy in frontof solicitor...the paperwork takes ages..but its all done so fingers crossed and wait and see....Have done IELTS and passed that so hope we get to move on to the practical as I belive things are changing again in 2012.....never ending,....how far are you along:smile:

Just so I can check I am reading this right, if you have your apprenticeship papers you don't need to get points test advice. Other half is a spark and we are hoping to move to WA, although reading posts on here about changes in 2012 I am getting more and more doubtful that it will happen for us.

Guest My3boys

Thank you for the part about the passport that's really useful info, we are hoping to get the ball rolling in January, my husband has 10 years experience as a roofer, been out of it for a fee then going back into it starting January, hopefully get his TRA and go from there.

I have been offered a job but the company don't do sponsorship and I can't get my own visa as my skills are not on the list, I'm stuck in a catch 22, husbands roofing is last resort.

If Amy one has advice please help.

Archived