'Mateship' True, False, Couldn't Care Less.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

As we know the famous 'Mateship' of Australia is a contentious issue, some say it is thriving, some say it is nothing more than a bloody daft comment and is rarely said with any degree of true sentiment.

Tell you what, I couldn't give a toss, I would rather this than not being acknowledged at all, ignored or even worse just stared at.

Maybe it is a statement without any base in true 'friendship (I happen to disagree with this) and once again couldn't give a toss, I know when I first arrived in Australia the two words that made me feel welcome were, 'G'day mate'.:notworthy:

Just because the Aussies seem to thrive on it and BELIEVE it, does not make it any less relevant than a Scotsman saying 'Pal', an Irishman saying 'Right'.

It may not be truly unique in the grand scheme of things, but they have made it their own and as many will testify, it brings about a sense of camaraderie and yes, 'Mateship.

Us POMS often say, 'Hello', (not enough) just because we as a nation 'choose' to say it out of habit (as some will accuse the Aussies of) does it make it any less relevant, I think not. Good on the Aussies for sticking to their guns, better this than ignoring some poor schmuck who might be having a bad day.

'Mateship' is often over analysed by many, come on, get with the programme, it is 'uniquely' Australian and long may it reign.

Nothing wrong with this, as I said, to some it may be false, and some will argue it is irrelevant to everyday living in Australia, to me it's not.

That's all folks.

Cheers Tony.

Guest siamsusie

Same here in Tasmania!

No surliness either, there is always time for a chat, hence its usual to have a few chairs in the butchers, bakery, etc.. lol

Guest Guest16631

Sometimes mates in Australia serve the role that family serves in other countries .........................and the importance that Australia places on mateship can be attributed to its history as an immigrant nation..............................lone individuals came to Australia without families. Consequently, their friends subsituted for their lack of a family network. .....................

Guest John Farley

There is nothing unique about "mateship". It's called "friendship". I suspect Australia's getting a reputation for being up itself sidewards.

Guest guest37336
Sometimes mates in Australia serve the role that family serves in other countries .........................and the importance that Australia places on mateship can be attributed to its history as an immigrant nation..............................lone individuals came to Australia without families. Consequently, their friends subsituted for their lack of a family network. .....................

Hi Tink.

You have summed it up brilliantly, much better than I could, but my own feelings on this are fairly simple.

To over analyse mateship (as many do) is to miss the whole point. It is basic human nature to want to interact with others in order to make it a more pleasurable experience, isn't it?

OK, we can all act like miserable gits at times, we may be having a truly horrible time, and I know full well that if I am in a bad mood I will still say, 'Hello', 'Have A Good Day' to the supermarket check out operative, :goofy:, not because I feel terribly happy, but just to be nice to the next person I meet, that's all. Thats not being false, it is a realisation that whilst I may be having a bad day why the hell should I take it out on some poor bugger who is doing their job and had nothing to do with my mindset.

There was a classic example yesterday where this so called '(falseness, see Mateship) might have played a huge part in their mindset.

This fella was very lonely and wanted to return to the UK to get amongst friends and family again, fortunately his thread was met with sympathy and understand. But his mindset was one of doom and gloom and the reason he posted while looking for some answers was I dare say put out there because he wanted to interact with fellow human beings.

Can you imagine this poor bugger wandering the streets of Australia and not one person acknowledge his existence, just a stare and a frown. His mindset would have been made far worse, but I can bet you than more than one (in their insincerity,:mad:) would have said, 'G'day Mate'.

I'm not saying this would have banished all his worries, not in a million years Tink, but at the very least it would have reminded him that he is human and I hope made him feel a little better.

I have no idea if this makes sense Tink, but surely it is better to be welcomed (however insincerely as some believe) than to be ignored. It is a basic human instinct to want to be liked and welcomed, nothing wrong in that is there.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Guest16631

..........the fact that aussies do acknowledge those around them is what gives the feeling............of friendliness......................the fact that the checkout person asks how are you often makes your shopping experience a little happier...............acknowledgement..........mateship .............call it what you will.................is always preferable to being ignored and met with apathy and glumness.............

havent I seen this topic somewhere before :biggrin:

Just because the Aussies seem to thrive on it and BELIEVE it, does not make it any less relevant than a Scotsman saying 'Pal', an Irishman saying 'Right'.

Do Irishment refer to people as 'Right'? If not then its not really the same as 'Pal' is it?

If it is what I assume it is, "Right" is just somthing thrown at the end of a sentence like 'Ay' (kiwi), 'is it' (S.African) or heaven forbid 'innit' (essex lol).

Right, "Mateship": No-one else feels the need to have a unique name for it, and try and promote it as an exclusive trait of their nation.

Thats certainly how it comes acorss to me. Its not and never will be unique. Its just what it is: human compassion, human interaction or generic friendliness whatever you want to call it. Its how people interact globally.

Australia is a friendly place. I'm not denying that at all. But its just not 'uniquely friendly'. There's as much crime, snobbery, talking down and ignoring as the next country. Its not 'friendly like nowhere else'. People don't band together here moreso than anywhere else.

I would also argue that its more regional than national. In villages it would be strong in large cities it wouldnt be. This is just community spirit. Its like that everywhere (or certainly everywhere I've been)

Maybe I'm struggling to see what this term mateship means, I understand it to be coming together in times of need, helping the fellow man, being most excellent to each other (as bill and ted may say). To me that is what "mateship" is, but why the need to call it "mateship". The term itself just sounds corny and contrived and cheapens the action and there's no need for it, unless its to feed some sort of national insecurity or tall poppy syndrome.

It may not be truly unique in the grand scheme of things, but they have made it their own and as many will testify, it brings about a sense of camaraderie and yes, 'Mateship..

so its not truly unique...

'Mateship' is often over analysed by many, come on, get with the programme, it is 'uniquely' Australian and long may it reign..

but its 'uniiquely Australain?

which is it?

And how have they made it their own? This is what I'm struggling to see. There's nothing unique about it.

Us POMS often say, 'Hello', (not enough) just because we as a nation 'choose' to say it out of habit (as some will accuse the Aussies of) does it make it any less relevant, I think not.

Good on the Aussies for sticking to their guns, better this than ignoring some poor schmuck who might be having a bad day.

So are you saying mateship is saying hello to people. if thats the case I see no mateship anywhere in Sydney :biggrin: and I was advised in the other thread that the concept of "mate" and "mateship" were not the same.

Its no more uniquely Australian than 'kindness' or 'thoughtfulness' is.

Nothing wrong with this, as I said, to some it may be false, and some will argue it is irrelevant to everyday living in Australia, to me it's not.

The concept of it is not irrelevent to everyday living in Australia by any means. I love it when people are happy and positive, its bloody awesome. Puts a spring in my step.

But harping on about it seems to suggest that Australia is this enormous pile of mates who are nothing but uber friendly and help each other out left right and centre.

Thats not the case...again no more than anywhere else.

Anyway, its Firday afternoon and company drinks have just started so I'm off for some mingling and socialing and some red wine. Is that mateship? If so, I'm so up for it :biggrin:

I cant find a booze smilie, so I think these summarises what I will look like later on :wacko::confused::jiggy:

Happy Weekend

edit see also posts:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/115938-choice-say-australia-rip-off-2.html#post1093415

and

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/115938-choice-say-australia-rip-off-2.html#post1093526

for more of the same :D

Guest guest37336
havent I seen this topic somewhere before :biggrin:

Do Irishment refer to people as 'Right'? If so then not really the same as 'Pal' is it?

If it is what I assume it is, "Right" is just somthing thrown at the end of a sentence like 'Ay' (kiwi), 'is it' (S.African) or heaven forbid 'innit' (essex lol).

Right, "Mateship": No-one else feels the need to have a unique name for it, and try and promote it as an exclusive trait of their nation.

Thats certainly how it comes acorss to me. Its not and never will be unique. Its just what it is: human compassion, human interaction or generic friendliness whatever you want to call it. Its how people interact globally.

Australia is a friendly place. I'm not denying that at all. But its just not 'uniquely friendly'. There's as much crime, snobbery, talking down and ignoring as the next country. Its not 'friendly like nowhere else'. People don't band together here moreso than anywhere else.

I would also argue that its more regional than national. In villages it would be strong in large cities it wouldnt be. This is just community spirit. Its like that everywhere (or certainly everywhere I've been)

Maybe I'm struggling to see what this term mateship means, I understand it to be coming together in times of need, helping the fellow man, being most excellent to each other (as bill and ted may say). To me that is what "mateship" is, but why the need to call it "mateship". The term itself just sounds corny and contrived and cheapens the action and there's no need for it, unless its to feed some sort of national insecurity or tall poppy syndrome.

so its not truly unique...

but its 'uniiquely Australain?

which is it?

And how have they made it their own? This is what I'm struggling to see. There's nothing unique about it.

So are you saying mateship is saying hello to people. if thats the case I see no mateship anywhere in Sydney :biggrin: and I was advised in the other thread that the concept of "mate" and "mateship" were not the same.

Its no more uniquely Australian than 'kindness' or 'thoughtfulness' is.

The concept of it is not irrelevent to everyday living in Australia by any means. I love it when people are happy and positive, its bloody awesome. Puts a spring in my step.

But harping on about it seems to suggest that Australia is this enormous pile of mates who are nothing but uber friendly and help each other out left right and centre.

Thats not the case...again no more than anywhere else.

Anyway, its Firday afternoon and company drinks have just started so I'm off for some mingling and socialing and some red wine. Is that mateship? If so, I'm so up for it :biggrin:

I cant find a booze smilie, so I think these summarises what I will look like later on :wacko::confused::jiggy:

Happy Weekend

edit see also posts:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/115938-choice-say-australia-rip-off-2.html#post1093415

and

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/115938-choice-say-australia-rip-off-2.html#post1093526

for more of the same :D

Yep, reference the highlighted issue you're right Exile, I think it was a Ménage à trois.:wink:

Guest chris955

It just seems to come down to the Australian need to put a name to everything and make it their own, as has been said it's no more unique to this country than nice beaches. When I am walking along the street people aren't saying G'day mate out of the blue. In shops people say Hello, how are you or whatever but they do that everywhere. The best friends we have are in England, they would do anything for us and vice versa, there is no need for a name for that situation, it's just good people being good people.

Guest guest36187

Mate ship is alive and well in QLD. You only have to look at the response during and after the floods to see that! During the floods I was working throughout at a nursing home. We had no power for two and a bit days and were, well left in the lurch for a while. Everyone stepped up to help everyone. We had staff sleeping on floors as they couldn't get home, we had relatives that could get in bringing in bbqs etc and food for the residents and staff. We had staffs families stepping up and coming in to cook. We had families and other staff running errands to get food. We had to do relays to the main kitchen for hot water. Residents couldn't have hot showers, we had no lights or air con!

Mates, families, relatives, staff and friends all stepped up. That is mate ship as far as I am concerned. Coming together to make life better for others.

Guest John Farley
Mate ship is alive and well in QLD. You only have to look at the response during and after the floods to see that! During the floods I was working throughout at a nursing home. We had no power for two and a bit days and were, well left in the lurch for a while. Everyone stepped up to help everyone. We had staff sleeping on floors as they couldn't get home, we had relatives that could get in bringing in bbqs etc and food for the residents and staff. We had staffs families stepping up and coming in to cook. We had families and other staff running errands to get food. We had to do relays to the main kitchen for hot water. Residents couldn't have hot showers, we had no lights or air con!

Mates, families, relatives, staff and friends all stepped up. That is mate ship as far as I am concerned. Coming together to make life better for others.

I was living in Kent when the Hurricane hit in 87, everything you said in your post related then, we didn't rename "Friendship" to Kent Ship. Mateship is not unique its just perceived to be, in essence its Friendship

Thing of the past and dead and buried in Canberra (very much a town of knife in the back if it helps you get to the top) except in cases of disasters when pretty much any civilized society would pull together anyway. So, basically nothing out of the ordinary. I certainly dont get warm fuzzies from people in supermarket queues who look at you like you are bonkers if you even try to make eye contact.

Mateship may not be 'unique' to Australia ,but i think a hell of alot of migrants see more of it here than in most other places, i know we personally do.

Someone has already said the 'mateship' given out during and after the floods was heartwarming, never,have i seen strangers helping others like they did during those rough few months,,,anywere.

On arrival, knowing nowhere, nothing and noone, the amount of strangers who offered us help and advice was outstanding, they really did make us feel welcome here. As Tink said earlier sometimes mates take the place of absent family for many migrants and again maybe that is why so many people living in Oz comment on how great it is.

Cal x

Guest guest36187

All the natural disasters this year have brought mateship to the forefront. Not just the floods in QLD but those in NSW and other states. The cyclone in FNQ, the earthquake in NZ......it has made people appreciative of what they have and made them more aware of this around them and how easy it can all be wiped out from under you.

Guest Guest31881

A couple of months ago we had our car stolen, once the locals found out about the theft we had people coming round to see if we needed a lift to the shops, others phoning to see if we needed anything delivering or picking up. This was not just a one off offer it was regular offers right up until we managed to replace the car. Even down to an offer of a lift to the Gold coast to collect the new car (a round trip of about 800k). to me that shows what Australians mean by mateship, not just the initial offer but a concerted attempt to help and make sure everything is OK before the offers of help stop. The vast majority of these offers of help came from complete strangers..

Guest chris955

I think what people are missing is that this human kindness we have seen during natural disasters etc would happen in most civilized countries, I have experienced it here and in the UK and in the USA when friends of friends went out of their way to help us when there on holiday. No one is saying it doesn't exist here but this belief that it is in some way unique is just crazy. If people want to think of it as 'special' here that is fine, it is human nature to do that.

Guest John Farley
I think what people are missing is that this human kindness we have seen during natural disasters etc would happen in most civilized countries, I have experienced it here and in the UK and in the USA when friends of friends went out of their way to help us when there on holiday. No one is saying it doesn't exist here but this belief that it is in some way unique is just crazy. If people want to think of it as 'special' here that is fine, it is human nature to do that.

I think what you say has been said in a few posts including mine earlier:wink:

Guest guest36187

No one has said it is unique! We have all said that as far as we are concerned it's our view of mateship.

Guest Guest31881

I do not think anyone has said it is unique to Australia, Just giving examples of what they have found, not all posts have been positive towards mateship, take the blinkers off Chris and try not to turn every thread into a points scoring exercise.

Guest Guest16631

........i think mateship in australia is more pronounced as most of the time people have left that family support network............................and over the 19 years i have been here have found friends have been more supportive as they are all i have.....................it is a way of life here and if you embrace the mateship ideal it is always there for you....................whatever you want to call it there will always be that 'mate' way of thinking....................it is often more than a colloquialism................it is a cultural idiom........................

Archived