Dogs in Oz

Guest wannapants

Guest wannapants

We are hoping to move to WA with our two German Shepards, I was just wondering if it is quite dog friendly, ie lots of places to take them walks, can you take them into stores, pubs ect and most importantly can you take them on the beach as it is their fav place in the UK.:jimlad:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't know the answer to this, but i have replied to put it to the front, so hopefully someone will reply.

All the best.

Guest loop the loop

I don't know about stores and pubs, but there are a couple of nice dog beaches. Depends where you will be moving to.

I've heard lots of good things about Scarborough Dog Beach (http://www.gooddog.info/beach/scarborough.htm) But there are more on the gooddog.info website that you could have a look at too :)

Guest milliesmum

Hi

I hope you don't mind if I join your query on this post but it saves me posting the same question again.

I am currently in NZ where dogs cannot even access the countryside. Neither are they allowed in forests, even on a lead. I am hoping to move over to Melbourne or Perth for a few years before heading back to Scotland. Can you tell me if you have the same draconian restrictions for dogs in Australia? We only found out about NZ restrictions after we arrived, as there was very little info on the web, and expats here were economical with the truth. So we want to do our homework this time.

(and I will check out gooddog website too)

Thanks

Australia is very unfriendly when it comes to dogs!

We have a 3 year old lab and have been traveling around oz since December, the most depressing thing has been how often we haven't been able to go somewhere. Nearly every nice area in the countryside is a national park, no dogs! Nearly all state forests are no dogs! And worst of all nearly all beaches are no dogs although most areas have designated areas, but they are usually the worst part of the beach. Finding campsites that allow dogs is really hard, again it is usually only the rundown ones. Forget going to the pub with your best friend, that is definitely out! We used to love that :(

Not All states are the same however, SA and QLD are more relaxed, Victoria was a nightmare, even patches of grass have 'no dogs allowed' signs, we left VIC ASAP :( NSW was better than Vic.

That said I would definitely bring her again :) our experience has been different as we don't spend long enough somewhere to find our feet

Hope it all works out

Every time I've visited I've found Aus to be far less dog friendly than the UK. I know where we are moving, SA, it is considered one of the more relaxed states but even there it is very restricted compared to what we are used to here in the UK.

We walk miles of public footpaths over open countryside here in the UK. Beaches (with some summer restrictions), woodland, national parks (again with a few restrictions at certain times of year). Where we will be living in Aus we have set dog parks (my dog's idea of hell, loads of dogs in a confined space) and limited rural access. There is some beach access but our dog isn't a beach dog. He loves open spaces, fields and so on to run round in.

Do your homework. Research on dog parks and rural areas for where you could walk your dog. Many dogs live happy lives but often it is very different from their UK ones.

Guest milliesmum

Wow..thanks for your honest replies. It sounds very much the same as here in NZ. I have travelled around both north and south islands and even in the remotest places, you find a sign "no dogs allowed". We stopped in a town in south island and parked up to allow the dogs to stretch their legs. We were immediately threatened with a $300 fine as no dogs were allowed in the town. (But no signs on the way into town to tell you this).

We can use the beaches here, but even they are restricted. I was hoping Australia would be more dog friendly....but it would appear not. So I'm happy to be forewarned rather than bitterly disappointed again.

Alas, spaniels are just not made for being on the end of a lead.

Guest milliesmum

Sorry, I meant to add a thank you to Jackboots. The link you provided shows lots of dog exercise areas compared to over here.

It's just that my genetically programmed spaniels like to scent and flush and hate being on a lead. I so miss the freedom of the scottish hills with a pack of springers by my side. :sad:

Whilst only 2 pages long this is probably one of the most honest pomsinoz threads on the dog situation that I've read.

I asked a similar question a good while back and lots of people replied saying how great it was, but my own research showed it just not to be the case. If you like proper waling, not leash trots around the block or a quick ball throw then most states are very restrictive.

The reality is off leash walks, ie a couple of hours are just not an option. Dog parks and sections of beach are as good as it gets.

A couple of years back we plotted all the sydney and suburbs dog areas on a map and visited probably over 20, it was the decision maker in us not moving there and looking at other areas.

We're still in the UK at the moment and (exchange rate aside) the situation with dogs is one of the main things that keeps us here. I just know it's going to hurt! I've lived in asia before with restrictions so I know we *can* get by, but it's just not half as much fun as we have here.

I've spent a great deal of time researching for our move.

My conclusion is that for no end of reasons we plan to leave our doglet with my parents. He adores them, they adore him and they have a dog also he gets on great with. He often stays with them when we go away and whenever we visit we always take him down for the day. Its his home from home. He never pines for us, scoffs all his food a lot quicker than when at home and spends far more time out and about each day.

While I feel like crap leaving him I know he will be so much happier with them. He will have his long walks across open fields, moorland, woodland and be taken pretty much everywhere. They take them to their local pub, out and about on day trips and so on. His life in Aus will consist of dog parks and one longer walk but still within the confines of a fenced in area. And we'd not be able to do this daily as its a fair drive to get there. Beaches are ok but for a really good run he will only run on grass. He'd also not be able to come to places with us like he does here. His quality of life will be great in the UK. I feel we'd be lessening it in Aus. He is a nervous dog and groups of dogs in a confined space always make him nervy and he simply stops playing and running and stands behind me. He doesn't like more than a few dogs around him at any one time.

Dogs imprint on people quite quickly. Besides he already loves being at my parents. I know that it'll be harder for us that our dog. Yes he may look for us to begin with but he'll soon start seeing my parents as his family and be very happy.

If and when we get a dog in Aus in the future we'll make sure we get a breed totally suitable for town living, shorter walks and so on. Something able to walked on lead and not a breed needing masses of free run space. I've never been without a dog my entire adult life so our move will be a huge change in this regard. Nor have I ever rehomed one of my dogs but this isn't just about me, so its a bridge I will have to cross.

We have always had no probs walking our dog here .. we drive to the beach ( which he loves ) or bigger areas , we have lots of parks on our doorstep where he has a blast of the lead luckily , its just theirs a difference even when in the uk we popped him in the car to go to our nearest national park or out of the way walks .... its a different walk without that freedom feeling if that makes sense :) even so he was always on the lead back home for the first part of our walk and about the same here ..

Guest milliesmum

Snifter...I feel your pain. Dogs are my passion and I have been involved in dog rescue for many years too. I did not bring my beloved springer with me as after many months of anguish, I realised I would be bringing him for the wrong reason. Up till that point there was no way I would go without him.

I did a checklist of everything he loved in life, then asked myself could it be provided in NZ. The answer was no. From my work with doggie foster care, I knew he would settle with another family who would love and care for him, just like every other dog did who came into my own family. He also had the back up of a rescue if anything went wrong.

It broke my heart to leave him and it took many months to come to terms with it. Do I regret my decision? No...I would suffer the pain again to ensure he had what he needed in life. He is happy and still has his long off lead walks every day over the hills, chasing his bunnies and pheasants. But I still miss him so much. I guess it is the price you pay for love.

I rescued two older cockers from the free ads after arriving here (downsizing the breed due to lack of areas to exercise them properly). It is working, but at a cost to me. I am so sick of walking the same few parks every day. I look at the hills around me and feel like a prisoner as I cannot access them. The joy of walking my dogs has almost gone.

For what it is worth, I think you are making the right decision.

The only thing I would add is do not jump into getting another dog for the first year. Because if you do not settle, you end up in a situation like me where it will cost you an arm and a leg to transport your dogs to another country, or have to face the pain of re-homing again. Good luck to you.

Guest milliesmum
I found this website last night, it also has an Iphone app which is brilliant

Has loads of dog parks, beaches and even cafes and restaurants you can take your dog too xxx

http://www.pawclub.com.au/

To find out where you can take pooch, go to the 'community, tab and then 'places to go'

It's brilliant :)

Jaybone

Can I ask how honest and up to date these sites are? We have similar info sites here, but you end up driving several hours to go to a place, only to find a 'no dogs' notice. It makes my blood boil but there is no one to complain to. Nobody is interested in addressing the needs of the dog community here. It's a case of 'suck it up and deal with it...... or go home'. :mad:

As a dog owner I share some of the feelings expressed thus far and have often been frustrated that we can't let our dog come with us on bushwalks as I know he'd love every second.

However, remember that you can't compare the UK and Australia when it comes to dogs and the very reason why they would love to run off-lead in National Parks and similar areas is why they aren't allowed!

"It's just that my genetically programmed spaniels like to scent and flush. "

I think this comment by an earlier poster sums up the problem in a nutshell

Dogs are not allowed into national parks and reserves for a number of reasons:

• Aussie wildlife is vulnerable to the predation, disturbance and disease that dogs may cause.
  • barking or scents are enough to scare away native wildlife, spread disease and attract other dogs.
  • escaped / lost dogs can become feral and pose a major threat to many native species.

Simply judging by the number of geckos, bush rats, blue tongued lizards and the odd possum that out JRT has dispatched just in our garden is an indication of the absolute havoc he'd cause if he was left to his own devices in the RNP!

Multiply that by a few thousand dogs going walkies each weekend and pretty soon there won't be an awful lot left of the Australian wildlife that made the move down under so appealing.

If you have dogs that have been brought up on a regime of long country walks and the freedom to investigate every tree, bush and blade of grass I'd think long and hard about trying to get them to adapt to life here.

Jaybone

Can I ask how honest and up to date these sites are? We have similar info sites here, but you end up driving several hours to go to a place, only to find a 'no dogs' notice. It makes my blood boil but there is no one to complain to. Nobody is interested in addressing the needs of the dog community here. It's a case of 'suck it up and deal with it...... or go home'. :mad:

I'm not really sure how up to date they are. Alot of the info i have looked at around Brisbane on the site seems to tally up with the info on the brisbane government website and the ourbrisbane website, so i reckon its pretty good:biggrin:

We are about to travel up to Cairns over the next 5 weeks, so i will be able to do some field research and see how accurate it is from Brissy to Cairns

I think once you actually settle somewhere it will be very easy to find nice places to go, with big open spaces, rivers and beaches etc. Its not as good as been able to go into any forest or countryside etc that you please but i think our 4 legged friends will be well catered for :wubclub: The southbank in Brisbane, which is a beautiful promenade along the river is all a dog friendly area, now that did surprise me! You can even have a beer:jiggy:

Snifter...I feel your pain. Dogs are my passion and I have been involved in dog rescue for many years too. I did not bring my beloved springer with me as after many months of anguish, I realised I would be bringing him for the wrong reason. Up till that point there was no way I would go without him.

Thanks milliesmum. Good to read there are others like me who have decided or done the same and rehomed their dog before moving to Aus. Its nothing to do with the cost of shipping but my desire he continues to have the quality of life he has currently. And knowing he won't have that will break my heart more than leaving him behind.

Like you I foster for a couple of rescues here in the UK and know that dogs settle well into our home be it for a few weeks or longer (we've had one in foster for 5 months!). And all of them have been comfortable within a day or less which has been good news. Some are on the sofa napping within an hour :) And that when they go to their new home they settle just as well, sometimes better. It gives me confidence to know that letting my parents have our dog (whippet) that he'll adjust and settle well. He does so when we are away on holiday or even if we just go down for the day. My parents adore him and he is clearly happy.

We won't consider getting a dog for a fair while. We want to make sure we'll be staying put in Aus and also to make sure that we find the right house, right area and so on. I'd don't plan on doing anything for a year or two at least and then only if we felt it was right for us and that any dog we get would be happy with the lifestyle. We'd defo look at a smaller breed that doesn't have such big exercise needs and can be walked on beaches and smaller park areas.

As a dog owner I share some of the feelings expressed thus far and have often been frustrated that we can't let our dog come with us on bushwalks as I know he'd love every second.

However, remember that you can't compare the UK and Australia when it comes to dogs and the very reason why they would love to run off-lead in National Parks and similar areas is why they aren't allowed!

"It's just that my genetically programmed spaniels like to scent and flush. "

I think this comment by an earlier poster sums up the problem in a nutshell

Dogs are not allowed into national parks and reserves for a number of reasons:

• Aussie wildlife is vulnerable to the predation, disturbance and disease that dogs may cause.

• barking or scents are enough to scare away native wildlife, spread disease and attract other dogs.

• escaped / lost dogs can become feral and pose a major threat to many native species.

Simply judging by the number of geckos, bush rats, blue tongued lizards and the odd possum that out JRT has dispatched just in our garden is an indication of the absolute havoc he'd cause if he was left to his own devices in the RNP!

Multiply that by a few thousand dogs going walkies each weekend and pretty soon there won't be an awful lot left of the Australian wildlife that made the move down under so appealing.

If you have dogs that have been brought up on a regime of long country walks and the freedom to investigate every tree, bush and blade of grass I'd think long and hard about trying to get them to adapt to life here.

For all of the things you mention above (and a few more), its why we are letting my parents have our dog. I understand and respect the national parks and so on in Aus needing to protect its wildlife and all the other reasons. I'm fine with it. Just it means my dog would have to seriously alter his lifestyle and his habits. And as I know he'll be just as happy, if not happier perhaps, with my parents then I am ok with leaving him. It'll be hard, but in the end I truly believe it will be best for our dog. We could take him but I think it would be a selfish thing for us to do.

Hi

I hope you don't mind if I join your query on this post but it saves me posting the same question again.

I am currently in NZ where dogs cannot even access the countryside. Neither are they allowed in forests, even on a lead. I am hoping to move over to Melbourne or Perth for a few years before heading back to Scotland. Can you tell me if you have the same draconian restrictions for dogs in Australia? We only found out about NZ restrictions after we arrived, as there was very little info on the web, and expats here were economical with the truth. So we want to do our homework this time.

(and I will check out gooddog website too)

Thanks

We're in NZ too so are looking into shipping our dog to Oz (though if he carries on waking us before 6am, we might just leave him here....). I've never had a problem with dog restrictions in NZ. There are loads of fab walks round here (well we did before the earthquake made a few of them too hazardous to use) and there are dog owners everywhere - I've never had a negative experience tbh and was hoping that Ozzie would be similar! Anyway, let me know if you have any info about shipping a dog from NZ to Oz - I don't think they need to go into quarantine at least. Thanks!!

Guest wannapants

Thanks for that everyone, I think to sum up if your a park/beach person then you'll be happy enough if you want the great out doors you are going to be struggling. We are more park/beach with the dogs, and to be honest I don't fancy taking them in to the bush their seems to be to many thing that would want to bite, sting or eat them.

We have rehomed our dog this weekend, my god it was hard!! She has gone to a lovely couple who live on the edge of Sherwood forest with woods and fields all around them. They were recomended by the breeder who is also a personal friend of ours and I dont think we could have found better people to have her. They have had dogs before and also taken in dogs that needed a new home. She is a 6yr old cocker spaniel and we just could not put her through the flight and quarintine and also the cost was an concern. It is upsetting for all of us, but it is the best thing for the dog and us, we will miss her dearly but are pleased she has gone to a lovely couple that will take good care of her and treat her as one of the family as we did.

Archived