moving back a possible disaster

Guest jak2503

Guest Guest 47403
Yes we are on good salaries, combined total of 220k. We have no family at all here, we go back to see our respective parents that are still alive, to see our children and to see our Grand Children. Who said we haven't settled? after 8 years we have decided that we dont like Australia and it isn't a country that we want to spend any more of our life in.

So you haven't settled then?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175
hi all,

just a quick one on heading back to blighty, we arrived back 2 weeks ago, im starting to think its been a big mistake, we headed back after two years in aus, the missing of family ect was the main reason, we went to oz for no reason other than the challenge of somthing new and exiting, i worked for all of the time there and we had some really good friends, however it seemed right to head back (family ilness ect) . after getting back we were in total shock, the unemployment is massive where we live, (was thriving when we left) family were pleased to see us for about a day , its back to normall already, house prices seem to have risen here, freinds are still here, their lives have not changed which is fine because thats a individual choice, however we have changed a lot, we are more independant as a family unit, we no longer need family to dictate our lives any more, and yes the green rolling fields are lovely, but so were the hinterlands of qld, marks and spencer rocks but so does big w. coffee here is shocking and going to the pub involves not taking a piss due to the possibility of being mugged by a 14 year old on coke!!! wine bars have sprung up every where and folks seem to go in and pretend their somthing else due to the fact their in a wine bar, honestly it baffled me when i bumped into some old friends acting like somthing from a flaming reality show, food is cheap as chips here, fuel is through the roof expensive, all people talk about is how crap the govt is, there is no positivity about the place, i spoke to so family friends about the floods and the damage it caused and also the spirit of how people turned up to help out because its about "doing the right thing" , one bloke said how pathetic it was that the govt needed to get the public to help out, i nealy swung for him, but thats the spirit of the uk, no motivation at all, this is only how i see it so dont leap on me, i just want folks to understand that heading back to the uk may not be the right thing to do, we were so exited at the thought of heading back, only two weeks in and were almost broken, one more thing, nothing is free here, the weather is bland and dreary, i read folks banging on about driving through the countryside here for a lovely pub lunch in a beer garden with the kids a watching a fantastic sunset over the hills, reality is cheap microwaved pub food indoors due to the dreary rain with the kids moaning because the beergarden is vandalised and full of vomit and needles, oh and you know that carvery or fish and chips your dying to have when you arrive, well it tastes great but after you have had it you wonder why you missed it, i hope those who are back in blighty are enjoying there time here and not having the fun times im haveing, to those in aus, think before you head back in fact try a holiday before you ship it all back. this is only my opinions so dont bag me to much,

Sorry to hear it's been a struggle so far jak, I just wondered reading the bit I've highlighted whether you moved back because of a sense of family obligation due to a family member being ill rather than really wantingto come back?. Maybe you've not got Aus out of your system yet and it'll turn out that the time wasn't right. Anyway, hope it works out for you. Plenty of us end up ping-ponging (myself included!) so you'll have plenty of company on PIO if you do!

All the best with it.

Guest guest36762
Sorry to hear of your plight mate.

Ignore the inquisition............the usual suspects occasionally take a day off from knocking Oz to indulge in questioning those who are dissatisfied with their UK experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but I'm guessing that you're saving the pennies already.

kev

I think it is close to 5 days:jiggy:

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular mate, but as soon as the OP posted about his experiences, he came under a bombardment of questions. I'm sure they were all posed with the best of intent though :wink:

How dare you say those things about beautiful perfect blighty, the Oz haters will be out in force defending England...........wait until there leader see's this he'll be livid :biggrin::biggrin:

Sounds like you need to save up and get back to Oz mate you know it makes sense.

Where is he? He hasn't been seen for a few days!

Ok guys, enough!

Please stay on topic or I'll have to, er, ask for the thread to be tidied up

Guest annemarie and brian

sorry to hear you have not sttled back yet i have been back 5mths now and we are just settling and getting things back to normal but you might find it hard if deep down you were not ready to come back...

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok guys, enough!

Please stay on topic or I'll have to, er, ask for the thread to be tidied up

Are you trying to move to the Darkside:biggrin: I can't get use to you being a good guy:tongue:

hi all,

just a quick one on heading back to blighty, we arrived back 2 weeks ago, im starting to think its been a big mistake, we headed back after two years in aus, the missing of family ect was the main reason, we went to oz for no reason other than the challenge of somthing new and exiting, i worked for all of the time there and we had some really good friends, however it seemed right to head back (family ilness ect) . after getting back we were in total shock, the unemployment is massive where we live, (was thriving when we left) family were pleased to see us for about a day , its back to normall already, house prices seem to have risen here, freinds are still here, their lives have not changed which is fine because thats a individual choice, however we have changed a lot, we are more independant as a family unit, we no longer need family to dictate our lives any more, and yes the green rolling fields are lovely, but so were the hinterlands of qld, marks and spencer rocks but so does big w. coffee here is shocking and going to the pub involves not taking a piss due to the possibility of being mugged by a 14 year old on coke!!! wine bars have sprung up every where and folks seem to go in and pretend their somthing else due to the fact their in a wine bar, honestly it baffled me when i bumped into some old friends acting like somthing from a flaming reality show, food is cheap as chips here, fuel is through the roof expensive, all people talk about is how crap the govt is, there is no positivity about the place, i spoke to so family friends about the floods and the damage it caused and also the spirit of how people turned up to help out because its about "doing the right thing" , one bloke said how pathetic it was that the govt needed to get the public to help out, i nealy swung for him, but thats the spirit of the uk, no motivation at all, this is only how i see it so dont leap on me, i just want folks to understand that heading back to the uk may not be the right thing to do, we were so exited at the thought of heading back, only two weeks in and were almost broken, one more thing, nothing is free here, the weather is bland and dreary, i read folks banging on about driving through the countryside here for a lovely pub lunch in a beer garden with the kids a watching a fantastic sunset over the hills, reality is cheap microwaved pub food indoors due to the dreary rain with the kids moaning because the beergarden is vandalised and full of vomit and needles, oh and you know that carvery or fish and chips your dying to have when you arrive, well it tastes great but after you have had it you wonder why you missed it, i hope those who are back in blighty are enjoying there time here and not having the fun times im haveing, to those in aus, think before you head back in fact try a holiday before you ship it all back. this is only my opinions so dont bag me to much,

Sounds to me like you need to pack up and get yourself back to Australia.

Guest Ph0en1x
Sounds to me like you need to pack up and get yourself back to Australia.

Doesn't sound like that to me. Sounds like they need to move areas and get jobs and try to settle.

Do you think you'll ever make the move back yourself John?

Hello Oz.

I love my life hear I smile every day. I've created my life style even if it does need improving.

But in answer to your Q. Yes I would but that would only be if money was no object.

I can make money hear at what I do, even when I'm skint and low in work I still feel comfortable.

I never felt comfortable or in control of my life in Aus, and as things stand nothing would have changed.

I have till December to get back out and untill that day the 11th it will always be in the back of my mind.

Then I can't do nothing about it, so without wishing my life away. Come that day.

John.

Guest Scotinaus

Obviously your personal experience if returning to the UK has been quite extreme, but it does echo some of the concerns I have about leaving Melbourne for London after 7 years here... Unfortunately it has to be London because of my OH's career... I think we will be able to live somewhere nice and safe, but things like the Tube and just the sheer number of people will be a shook I'm sure. There are of course a large number of positives about coming back which I will try to focus on.

Hopefully things improve for you. It doesn't sound like you've been back long and the first few weeks are bound to be hard.

Any chance you can return to Oz in the future? That's what our plan is, after a few years. Or sooner if it just doesn't work for us.

Guest zoolisa

Hi, we've been back 8 weeks, and understand a little how you feel. But as one post said, its a lot to do with the upheaval of moving, and you having to readjust. Also, UK is having a bit of a rough time at moment, and pessimism is everywhere, but bear with it and things will get better. Yeah, petrol is cheaper there, but cars are way more expensive to buy. Pubs just aren't pubs in Australia either, here is better for the social scene if you ask me. Restaurants are much better quality, and the service is loads better. We bought FIFA 11 over there for $110 for x-box, and saw it for £20 here. Books are a third of the price too. Houses are easily half the price here, and fuel prices seem comparable.

Wait until the recession starts to heal, and you'll be glad you are home :-)

Houses are easily half the price here

Oh come on, you're clearly not comparing like with like. The old days when houses in Australia were half the price of houses here are clearly behind us due to the change in FX rates and stagnant UK prices for the last couple of years, but they're still slightly cheaper in Oz and certainly no more expensive if you are comparing like with like (i.e. comparing Sydney CBD with similar sized property in London's West End or Rural Wales with similar sized property in back of Bourke NSW).

Guest zoolisa
Oh come on, you're clearly not comparing like with like. The old days when houses in Australia were half the price of houses here are clearly behind us due to the change in FX rates and stagnant UK prices for the last couple of years, but they're still slightly cheaper in Oz and certainly no more expensive if you are comparing like with like (i.e. comparing Sydney CBD with similar sized property in London's West End or Rural Wales with similar sized property in back of Bourke NSW).

Absolutely comparing like for like. 3 bedroom house we lived in on outskirts of Brisbane was valued at $750K. For a wooden Queenslander with a pokey garden, and crap 1950s kitchen. A 3 bedroom house here in East Midlands, massive garden, solid brick house, £140K. Ok, Midlands not most expensive area of England, but fairly average. See the link below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-24/australia-hong-kong-homes-are-the-world-s-least-affordable-report-says.html

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The average house price in Australia is probably dearer than the uk, but the average house is so much bigger and on more land and these houses would be just unaffordable to the majority in the uk. A $500,000 house in AUS would cost about £400,000 in the uk.

Guest Ph0en1x
Absolutely comparing like for like. 3 bedroom house we lived in on outskirts of Brisbane was valued at $750K. For a wooden Queenslander with a pokey garden, and crap 1950s kitchen. A 3 bedroom house here in East Midlands, massive garden, solid brick house, £140K. Ok, Midlands not most expensive area of England, but fairly average. See the link below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-24/australia-hong-kong-homes-are-the-world-s-least-affordable-report-says.html

Well said

Guest michelledenham

Actually have to agree totally with John.

We lived in Perth and came back due to me having 'baby-blues' I guess. The saying 'rose tinted glassess' comes to mind. Whilst it was hard over there, trying to build a whole new life from scratch... etc... You seem to think that everyone back home (UK) is having a great time.. You think that everyone is meeting up all the time. Spending lots of time together having fun. SO NOT LIKE THAT. As mentioned before, you see everyone for about 1-2weeks and then everything goes back to normal. We haven't seen my hubbys family for about amonth... and they live in the same town. We may see my family once every 2weeks.... And all only if we make the effort and invite them round to ours!!!!

We moved to Perth because we wanted a better life for the kids. More options for their health, schooling, activities and future. To come home from school and go out and play, not sit infront of the TV... These factors have not changed and they are still what I want for my family...

Wooden Queenslander's are expensive even compared to other houses in Australia - goodness know why (I can't see it myself but apparently for Australians they have the same charm as Cotswold stone cottages do for us Poms and so they demand a similar premium). I'm happy to accept your articles quote of the median price in Australia but it doesn't quote the median for the UK - and even if it did you'd have to adjust for the fact that (Queenslander's apart) their houses are generally bigger than ours.

I can't accept your figure of £140K for a 3 bed house as being "fairly average".

Guest Ph0en1x
Wooden Queenslander's are expensive even compared to other houses in Australia - goodness know why (I can't see it myself but apparently for Australians they have the same charm as Cotswold stone cottages do for us Poms and so they demand a similar premium). I'm happy to accept your articles quote of the median price in Australia but it doesn't quote the median for the UK - and even if it did you'd have to adjust for the fact that (Queenslander's apart) their houses are generally bigger than ours.

I can't accept your figure of £140K for a 3 bed house as being "fairly average".

The average Uk house price is £232,628

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres no comparison to the average square footage in houses in the uk and Australia, we live on a newish estate and have a 4 bedroomed detached house, lovely to boot, but it is only 160 spuare feet and it is the biggest house on the estate, most houses have about 100 square feet, but on similar new housing estates in Australia 160 squares would be on the lower end in size.

Actually have to agree totally with John.

We lived in Perth and came back due to me having 'baby-blues' I guess. The saying 'rose tinted glassess' comes to mind. Whilst it was hard over there, trying to build a whole new life from scratch... etc... You seem to think that everyone back home (UK) is having a great time.. You think that everyone is meeting up all the time. Spending lots of time together having fun. SO NOT LIKE THAT. As mentioned before, you see everyone for about 1-2weeks and then everything goes back to normal. We haven't seen my hubbys family for about amonth... and they live in the same town. We may see my family once every 2weeks.... And all only if we make the effort and invite them round to ours!!!!

We moved to Perth because we wanted a better life for the kids. More options for their health, schooling, activities and future. To come home from school and go out and play, not sit infront of the TV... These factors have not changed and they are still what I want for my family...

I honestly think this is the problem if you come back solely because you miss people. We went to Oz because we missed our Oz family dreadfully -little did we realise how much we had got used to it just being us (Husband, me and our 3 young children). We really couldn't stand Australia at all and returned to the UK for our life that we loved but had left behind. If you love your life (in UK or Oz) think carefully about moving. We came back because we missed the UK and we love it. -We still miss our Oz family dreadfully but we love our life here more.

Guest Ph0en1x
Theres no comparison to the average square footage in houses in the uk and Australia, we live on a newish estate and have a 4 bedroomed detached house, lovely to boot, but it is only 160 spuare feet and it is the biggest house on the estate, most houses have about 100 square feet, but on similar new housing estates in Australia 160 squares would be on the lower end in size.

160 square feet? what do you live in a Wendy house, the average size of a uk house is 815 square feet

Guest The Ropey HOFF
160 square feet? what do you live in a Wendy house, the average size of a uk house is 815 square feet

Trying to work it out, i think i meant square yards. lol

Still the houses are massive in Australia compared to the tiny chicken hutch houses in the uk.

Archived