Epilepsy and school (NSW) - Emergency Response Plan?

scimum

Hi there

I've seen from searching the forum that a few PiO members have kids with epilepsy. I wondered if you could help me out with developing an emergency response plan for my son at school?

We moved over in January this year. We are on 457 visas tied to my husband's (permanent) job. We had no problems whatsoever getting a visa for my son. He hasn't had a seizure since March 2008 and he has been off drugs since September 2010. I have a letter from his neurologist in the UK with a complete history, saying she feels he has (had?) a benign childhood form of epilepsy and is unlikely to require a neurologist in Australia. In fact I have only once taken him to a GP and it was a drop-in clinic because he had a viral infection and his temperature wasn't coming down (no seizures though).

I felt it worth flagging up the epilepsy with his school just in case he has a seizure, and understandably they want to develop an emergency response plan for that eventuality. I feel perfectly able to write this myself (based on the information we used to give to all his carers and his previous schools in England) but I wonder if it is worth taking him to our 'regular' GP just to let them know, and make sure they have an input into the plan?

Anyway if anyone wants to share their experience with me I would be very grateful.

Thanks so much

Scimum

• 2 weeks later...
Guest siamsusie

Hi Scimum,

An interesting post, and I do hope other members would like to share their similar experiences with you.

Best wishes

Susie x

In my experience medical condition plans are usually written in consultation between the school, the parents and any therapists/ancillary workers involved with the child. If the child's condition requires staff to perform duties above and beyond their ability/training then such training is made available (thinking epi-pens here). So if you want to bring your GP into the discussion by all means do (s/he may be prepared to talk to the staff about seizures in general and what to do with them) so but I think you will find it is more a case of what to recognize and what to do if he has a seizure - permission to call the ambulance, who will pay for it and who to notify if you are not available etc. I wouldnt think you would have too much trouble. They will probably ask for his picture to be displayed reasonably prominently (some parents have difficulty with that) and, all depending on how old he is, he may also be invited into the discussion of the management of his condition -eg does he have any triggers (flashing fluorescents is one that schools often have to deal with), does he know they are coming etc and who should he talk to, is there a code he can use to get his point across etc.

It shouldnt be a huge production if he has been seizure free for years.

Guest Catherina Martin

I think that schools should exercise caution with regard to the sensitive information used in the development of health care plans. Student privacy and confidentiality must be a primary consideration. All students with a disability, and who receive funding under the Commonwealth Targeted programs, are required to have an Individual Plan (IP). So that each one requirement would be fulfilled.

Archived