UK Tv's and Nintendo Wii,Etc

steve robbo

Do UK Tv's work in Australia,as we are going to live in Canberra? I have heard about Foxtel (I think that is the correct name)? How much is this service $$$ per month?

Also,do UK pay&go Quad band mobiles work in OZ,do we just need new sim cards?

Hope somebody can advise us?

Thanks

Steve,Wendy+ Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest Revs30

Im interested too as we have a lovely 6 month old Sony LCD with built in freeview, can i pick any channel ups with the freeview?

Im interested too as we have a lovely 6 month old Sony LCD with built in freeview, can i pick any channel ups with the freeview?

We have a 6 month old LG 42" LCD and a 5 year old Philips LCD (Wich still works as new). So we need to know if we should take them with us,or sell them in the UK?

Thanks

Steve,Wendy + Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest Revs30

Sorry if it seemed like i hi-jacked your thread, didn't mean too :(

2 birds, 1 stone an all that :)

Sorry if it seemed like i hi-jacked your thread, didn't mean too :(

2 birds, 1 stone an all that :)

Lol,that's fine with me. Someone has prob already answered all our questions about 10 times over,somewhere on here???

Where abouts are you going to live? We are off to Canberra.if we ever sell this bloody house!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve:skeptical:

Guest Revs30

Renting house out (from 21st may, so close, arghhhhhhh) and then flying out to Melbourne 8th May :D

Hi,we don't want to rent our house out,we would rather sell(if we can)?

I had a job offer and some accomadation,but had to email them and tell them I could't take the job, as I don't want to be in Canberra too long before my wife and step-daughter follow me out.

We have to validate our visas by Jan 2012 at the latest (we have 176 SS visas).

Our UK TVs (Sony & Toshiba LCDs) work ok - just changed the location settings to Germany - that said, you will be better off with a set top box anyway (about $60) for the HD channels, Foxtel is around $100 a month so I've not bothered with it.

Telstra have a package that gives you an HDTV receiver & hard drive recorder with your phone & internet.

Phones will be fine as long as thier not locked to your UK network, if they are, arrange to unlock them before you come over.

You're a heavy vehicle fitter aren't you? Action Buses were advertising last week for fitters.

Hi, if your TV wont work (i.e. pick a signal up) just go out and but a set top box. (freeview) If your getting Foxtel this wont matter.

Your UK Nintendo Wii will work just fine on both Aus and UK tvs. They have the same red/white/yellow phono leads.

Also your Wii will play Australian games as they both use PAL format.

Provided your phone is 'Modern' and not network locked they will accept any Aus Sim card. My iPhone was locked with O2, they unlocked it for me (which they are legally obliiged to do) at my request. When I got here I popped a Telstra pre pay (Pay and Go) card in and off I went.

Hope it helps.

Hi, if your TV wont work (i.e. pick a signal up) just go out and but a set top box. (freeview) If your getting Foxtel this wont matter.

Your UK Nintendo Wii will work just fine on both Aus and UK tvs. They have the same red/white/yellow phono leads.

Also your Wii will play Australian games as they both use PAL format.

Provided your phone is 'Modern' and not network locked they will accept any Aus Sim card. My iPhone was locked with O2, they unlocked it for me (which they are legally obliiged to do) at my request. When I got here I popped a Telstra pre pay (Pay and Go) card in and off I went.

Hope it helps.

Hi,thanks for all your great advise. it will come in handy,if we ever get to Canberra?

thanks again

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest MissBehaving
Our UK TVs (Sony & Toshiba LCDs) work ok - just changed the location settings to Germany - that said, you will be better off with a set top box anyway (about $60) for the HD channels, Foxtel is around $100 a month so I've not bothered with it.

Telstra have a package that gives you an HDTV receiver & hard drive recorder with your phone & internet.

Phones will be fine as long as thier not locked to your UK network, if they are, arrange to unlock them before you come over.

You're a heavy vehicle fitter aren't you? Action Buses were advertising last week for fitters.

We bought our daughter a lovely LCD TV with DVD and Freeview built in for her birthday in February. Will that freeview receiver work in Aus or will it that part of her TV be redundant?

Thank you for all your help. People on here are great at giving advise on a great many matters.

I am a Light Vehicle Mechanic,but I did work for a couple of years on Trucks at a Volvo Main Dealer a few years ago.

We have got our 176 SS Visa for Canberra,just got to sell the house before we can make the move!!

I had a job and they even sorted out temp accomodation for me,until my wife and step-daughter could arrive. I had to turn the job down,due to the fact we hadn't sold our house (my wife also has to sell her business) so as we didn't know when this would happen,I had no other choice! It's complicated!!

Hop you are enjoying your new life in OZ?

Thanks again

Steve,Wendy+Georgia :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest GeorgeD
We bought our daughter a lovely LCD TV with DVD and Freeview built in for her birthday in February. Will that freeview receiver work in Aus or will it that part of her TV be redundant?

It may or may not work...depends if the model of your TV supports the correct Audio stream in PAL...a number of machines work if you change the regional settings to Germany which has the same specifications as Australia apparently. If it doesn't work you can buy a set-top box for Terrestrial channels if you don't want her to have cable or satellite (you don't need a TV tuner for either of these)

Another consideration is the DVD player side...it may be region locked to the UK and unless you can find unlock codes it won't play DVDs bought in Australia which has a different region coding. Again, a separate DVD player would solve this issue.

In case anyone is interested...my UK xBox 360 plays Austrlian and UK games on our Australian TV via HDMI.

without any codes/chips, etc.

Guest MissBehaving

Thanks George... I will get my OH to have a look to see what the settings are... :GEEK:

Guest Revs30

Going through my pretty new Sony LCD settings and can't find location settings anywhere?

All i can find is language selection?

HELPPPPPPPPPP

Update: Don't worry, found it. Have to do easy-startup :)

For those of you changing your location setting to Germany to make your set work...

...that's analogue TV which is being switched off down here in Australia (just like in the UK). Some places are already switched off; the last locations will be gone by mid 2013.

"Freeview" is a digital tuner but, alas, the digital system down here is a bit different to the UK. Like analogue, some TV sets have the digital tuner "internationalised" so it will work in other countries but many don't. There aren't any settings you can change though--it'll either sense the Aus transmissions and work or not work at all.

The other "gotcha" is that most UK sets are UHF only. Some locations in Australia are still a mix of UHF and VHF. Again, this would be a deal buster.

However, a set top box or subscription to Foxtel/Austar would allow any set to work down here

As always, my advice is that, if you have a fairly new set AND you can ship it without additional costs, then bring it and try it. If your set is getting a bit old or if it would add to your shipping expenses, then think twice. It might not be worth it.

Bob

Guest GeorgeD

As always, my advice is that, if you have a fairly new set AND you can ship it without additional costs, then bring it and try it. If your set is getting a bit old or if it would add to your shipping expenses, then think twice. It might not be worth it.

Bob

I agree with Bobbsy on this one. I didn't bring my 4 year old 42" HD TV. I was conisdering getting a new one anyway so gave it away to my father in the UK. I figured it was best to get one built for the country it's going to be used in as you get a full warranty with it and there would be no compatability issues. As I was sharing a container, I was paying for the exact volume I used, so shipping the TV would've cost me money to include it.

There are also deals to be had on TVs even though Australia can sometimes seem expensive compared to the UK. I bought a Samsung 50" TV (PS50C7000) last week in Brisbane from a bricks and mortar store and took it home with me there and then for $1177 inc GST. A quick look online in the UK suggests the cheapest I can buy it there is around GBP1100....which is still around $1650

TV's will work fine - as the others said DVDs are a different region so may not work.

If your DVD player is a Multi-region it should be fine though :)

Don't forget if you're bringing DVDs with you that you'll need a multi-region DVD (if you buy in Aus) to play them.

:)

Guest GeorgeD
Don't forget if you're bringing DVDs with you that you'll need a multi-region DVD (if you buy in Aus) to play them.

Most cheap DVD players can be changed to multi-region easily. The big brand names are sometimes more difficult. I bought a Samsung Blu Ray player in Australia which I knew could take codes to change it to multiregion for DVD. It is a Samsung BD-C6500, and can be made multiregion from the remote control. I've used the codes and it worked for me. Blu-Ray is still region locked, but Aus and UK are in the same Blu Ray region, so it's not an issue for me.

Most Blu Ray machines will need a hardware chip modification to become multiregion for Blu Ray, if indeed the unlock is available for them at all. One cheap Blu Ray player I came across which has a Blu Ray code unlock is the Soniq B100...this can play discs from anywhere either Blu Ray or DVD and only costs around $100 in Australia. I bought the Samsung as I wanted it for the internet streaming, and media streaming across my home network which it could support...but if all you want is a multiregion player for Blu Ray and DVD which is middle of the road quality, then the Soniq B100 is certainly a bargain at only $100.

TV's will work fine - as the others said DVDs are a different region so may not work.

If your DVD player is a Multi-region it should be fine though :)

See lots of other posts about this on PIO--some TVs will work fine, other will not unless you buy a set top box or Austar/Foxtel subscription.

The good news is that virtually every DVD player sold in Australia is multi region to start with--double check at the time of purchase but you should have no problem getting a deck that will play your UK collection as well as new stuff.

Bob

Archived