Forces leaver emigrating to Melbourne

clanmcwood

Hi all, My family and I are looking to move to Melbourne in March April next year on leaving the Armed forces, I am a Mechanical engineer with qualifications in managment as well, My wife is looking to to get qualified over there to work with the disabled and my two daughters are 6 and 11 (they are just going to school, the spungers...lol)

My intention is to go through an imigration agent to apply directly for a permanent Visa through sponsership and I am visiting family out in Oz in december and look to have interviews out there then.

Any advice or prior knowlage of the pitfall involved would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks for a great forum.

Rob.

Hi Rob

While it's possible to get an employer to sponsor you while you're out there on a visit, i would also be preparing for a plan b of getting a skilled migration visa. First step is assessing whether i you're able to get 65 points on the new points scale (you can find this at immi.gov.au. All being well with this, between now and leaving the services, you can look to do an ielts test, have your skills assessed and then apply for state sponsorship. As you're in the military you won't be able to apply for your visa until you're on the proverbial civvy street but getting these steps done will mean you can lodge as soon as you have your discharge papers.

Welcome. Have a look around in here there are loads of ex forces (including myself, ex RN) who are either holding a visa, or are in the process on various methods.

I hope you are making the most of your resettlement, dont waste it. Remember also (easier to say than do) in your last 12, worry about you and your family, many of us leave and remain dedicated to the last second, but to be honest, you would get any more recogntion than those who do nowt (sure you have seen them)

Best of luck with sponsorship, its not that easy to get one, but not imposible. Keep asking any questions you have. Also, there is a thread for those who have recently left or about to leave giving advice on what to do, what you might need, just good ideas or just a general drip.

Hi guys thanks for the responses , Im leaving the forces on the new redundancy program after 18 and a half years so will leave with full pension and lump sum plus a bit more.

Ive had a quick assessment already and am well above the 65 points mark as I have my parents and brother (married an ozzy girl) over there already

I have a HND in mechanical Engineering and an NVQ level 6 (graduate) in managment so hopefully that should get me a decent job, looking for about the $120000 mark.

Thank for the advice about not being able to start the process untill i am discharged, I was going to look into seeing if I can apply early to get a head start on the application.

Hi guys thanks for the responses , Im leaving the forces on the new redundancy program after 18 and a half years so will leave with full pension and lump sum plus a bit more.

Ive had a quick assessment already and am well above the 65 points mark as I have my parents and brother (married an ozzy girl) over there already

I have a HND in mechanical Engineering and an NVQ level 6 (graduate) in managment so hopefully that should get me a decent job, looking for about the $120000 mark.

Thank for the advice about not being able to start the process untill i am discharged, I was going to look into seeing if I can apply early to get a head start on the application.

Clan you can apply for a visa if you are still in :yes: we are and there have been a few on here who have just got visa's who are still in !

I bow to people's superior knowledge.

I was passing on info from this thread http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/108625-ex-forces-serving-who-applying-visa-can-so-complicated.html

which seems to suggest that you need to have left?

I've confused myself now...

Hi cj ,

i was told i couldn't....... but after starting that thread found there was a few who have applied and got a visa

Thats a very good link and very informative. I moved to Canberra after 12 years in the Army on a 309 visa and thought I would walk into a job in defence or join the ADF, neither of which I can do until I become a citizen. Now working in retail I am doing OK but could do better. I am looking to get citizenship in November 2012 ish and then more doors should open for me.

I do find though any job in defence either with the government or with outside agencies e.g. BAE Systems you have to be a citizen for any of these jobs unless you have contacts in the right places. If anyone has any questions about moving over here and trying to join the Army here or trying to get a job in the federal government then send me a message

Nik and others it might concern.

Working in Defence is not an issue if you hold UK Security Clearance. I have spoken with the Aussie Equivalent to DVA and they said its not an issue and your UK clearance can be transferred across. This not being able to is a myth and frustratingly some employers and recruitment agencies believe this myth and dismiss PR visa on this belief.

Guest Tony4052

Have you got some inside info on who has been selected for Trache 1 or is it a case that the odds are stacked your way? I thought the results were out in Sept.....

From you post I am guessing you are REME and Tiffy Wpns?

I am also REME and have just lodged my main visa after going through the skills assessment and WA state sponsorship. I am still serving but am now on VEng so can give notice at any time :big grin:

If you need any pointers please ask away.

Nik and others it might concern.

Working in Defence is not an issue if you hold UK Security Clearance. I have spoken with the Aussie Equivalent to DVA and they said its not an issue and your UK clearance can be transferred across. This not being able to is a myth and frustratingly some employers and recruitment agencies believe this myth and dismiss PR visa on this belief.

I sent an email just after comming over to Australia to the AGSVA (Aussie DVA) which told me my UK SC clearence could not be converted to an Australian equivlient and that I wouls have to be an citizen to be able to get a clearence and the only way I could get it without being a citizen is by getting the head of the agency that was to employ me to give me a waiver, which I found to be impossable unless you know the right people.

If I am wrong or the rules have changed then that would be great and please put me in contact with the agency that I could talk to as my SC is valid until 2018

From what I know about security clearance you are correct Nik.We have friends here who are ex-services and they could not use their UK clearance.On another note ex UK forces who have moved over to the ADF also find their UK security clearance is not recognised my O/Hs took 9 months to be granted other people have waited much longer.

Have you got some inside info on who has been selected for Trache 1 or is it a case that the odds are stacked your way? I thought the results were out in Sept.....

From you post I am guessing you are REME and Tiffy Wpns?

I am also REME and have just lodged my main visa after going through the skills assessment and WA state sponsorship. I am still serving but am now on VEng so can give notice at any time :big grin:

If you need any pointers please ask away.

Tony, you guess right i have applied under tranche 1 and am of a very small percentage of eligible people of which they are eligable due to time this is further reduced by nearly half of them only having 1 CR in rank of im looking at 90% to sure thing i will be selected as an applicant, its really win win for me because if i dont get get it i have a couple of years at a decent wage then go for Oz again.

Timings the key. as for Sec Clearance proberly not an issue with the Engineering /Managment/ Lean planning jobs i wil be looking at.

Any concurrent activity thats worth doing prior to the application going in would be of great intrest though.

Many Thanks

Rob

Guest Tony4052
Tony, you guess right i have applied under tranche 1 and am of a very small percentage of eligible people of which they are eligable due to time this is further reduced by nearly half of them only having 1 CR in rank of im looking at 90% to sure thing i will be selected as an applicant, its really win win for me because if i dont get get it i have a couple of years at a decent wage then go for Oz again.

Timings the key. as for Sec Clearance proberly not an issue with the Engineering /Managment/ Lean planning jobs i wil be looking at.

Any concurrent activity thats worth doing prior to the application going in would be of great intrest though.

Many Thanks

Rob

Rob

Have you decided what visa you are going to apply for and the route you are going to follow? It can be a bit of a mine field to begin with.

I to have similar qualifications to yourself, however decided not to apply at management level, but at a trade level instead. You need to do your homework before applying its not quite as straight forward as I though. For instance all though I am registered with the EC UK at IEng and this is recognised internationally. I do not have a degree, therefore it is not recognised under the Sydney Accord!

I'm not sure what other what others opinions are on Migration Agents, but mine has been a waste of money!!:mad: Once you get your head round the route you are going, its pretty much straight forward and there is always someone on this site willing to help / advise.

Good luck with whatever the future brings. Unfortunately I am not in the bracket for redundancy, but am on VEng, so can leave at any time....:biggrin:

From what I know about security clearance you are correct Nik.We have friends here who are ex-services and they could not use their UK clearance.On another note ex UK forces who have moved over to the ADF also find their UK security clearance is not recognised my O/Hs took 9 months to be granted other people have waited much longer.

I have sent an email to find out if the rules have changed etc, however I am not holding my breath

Still, more jobs for us that can transfer our clearence. I do remember having issues getting the right office, but got there in the end. I dont have acess to the email, but will have later to prove i aint mad. That is assuming someone wants to see it for their own use.

As promised here is most of the reply i received Late last year from the Assistant Director of the AGSVA

The Department of Defence in Australia does recognise UK Security Clearances under certain conditions and I have inserted an extract form the relevant policy..

The recognition of foreign security clearances will occur as a separate process from the recruitment activity. Clearance sponsors seeking to have a foreign security clearance recognised under this process must ensure that the individual in question is eligible to be granted a clearance and work in Defence or for Defence industry. This includes ensuring that they have the legal right to work in Australia and for Defence under Australian law.

On another note to the OP, i have someone who i know very well who is about to leave the military and is heading to Melbourne, if you want i can put you in touch and they might be able to help you out with any questions.

If you want to take up this offer, PM me your email address and i will pass it on.

Ok i got an email back today, it reads

UNCLASSIFIED

Dear Marcus,

Unfortunately you are unable to transfer your UK clearance to an Australian Clearance. You will need to go through the vetting process again under the Australian Government.

Kind Regards

Michelle Arbon

Client Services Officer

Australian Government Security Vetting Agency

Client Service Centre

EP3 Defence Edinburgh Parks

PO Box 1500, Edinburgh SA 5111

Ph: 1800 640 450 (freecall)

+61 8 7389 4618 (outside Australia)

Fax: 08 7389 6151

Email: securityclearances@defence.gov.au

Please tell me if I am talking to the wrong people and I could try elsewhere.

Archived