Deception Bay, Queensland

Guest foggy

hi, just looking at ares in Brisbane at mo. OH favours Deception Bay. Does anyone know anything about this area, Schools, House Prices, Beaches etc ? Any info would be fab cheers. Never been to Oz , so going blind so any help, THANKS

Sue x:wacko::wacko:

Hiya ,i had my heart set on moving to Deception Bay until i got the feedback from aussies and other poms.It isnt classed as a desirable area and the 'beach' is more mud flats.Cabooluture as much as i thought was ok dosnt carry a great reputation unfortunately.Have a look on realestate.com for property prices ,just type deception bay into 'suburb'.hope this helps a little,

Cal x

thanks for that info cal, could you recommend anywhere north brisbane ? really would like somewhere for families, good beaches and also work for OH (brickie) cheers for your help

Sue x

Guest scottishcelts
Hiya ,i had my heart set on moving to Deception Bay until i got the feedback from aussies and other poms.It isnt classed as a desirable area and the 'beach' is more mud flats.Cabooluture as much as i thought was ok dosnt carry a great reputation unfortunately.Have a look on realestate.com for property prices ,just type deception bay into 'suburb'.hope this helps a little,

Cal x

They don't call it Deception Bay for nothing then!:jiggy::goofy::notworthy:

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi Sue,

We are going over in 2 weeks to check out different areas to live. Top of my list is Redcliffe, as house prices seem reasonable, beaches look nice and I've been told the area is on the up. There are some people on here who have lived or are living there and have had great things to say about it.

Once I've seen the areas I can let you know my thoughts if you would like. We will check out some areas south of Brisbane as well.

Lou

Hi Sue,

We are going over in 2 weeks to check out different areas to live. Top of my list is Redcliffe, as house prices seem reasonable, beaches look nice and I've been told the area is on the up. There are some people on here who have lived or are living there and have had great things to say about it.

Once I've seen the areas I can let you know my thoughts if you would like. We will check out some areas south of Brisbane as well.

Lou

Hi :wubclub:

Am quite new to this site

Wondered if could also feed back to me following your trip have been offred 2 jobs one in Redcliffe other in Brisbane itself and trying to decide which one. also if hear anything about the redcliffe hospital or princess Alexandra also known as PA in brisbane would be grateful.:v_SPIN:

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Don't mean to be rude but alot of Brits seem to talk about Redcliff and I can see why, just wondered if there are alot of Brits there!!! Not that that 's a problem but just a thought. Thanks, Bernie :cute:

P.S, have you had your trip yet and what would you recommend now??

Guest Cam_Russ

Finally, a post that I can reply to with some first hand knowledge!!! I grew up in Redcliffe, and have to say it's so different now from when I grew up, in that it's now VERY nice.

Depression Bay on the other hand is a S@£thole!! My mum bought a house there about 6 years ago, and while her street isn't too bad, and her house is lovely, you couldn't pay me to live there. It's so out of the road, and there are way too many "dole bludgers".

I would highly recommend Redcliffe now, particularly Scarborough. Scarborough primary school has always been a good school, and then both of the high schools in Redclffe (Redcliffe High and Clontarf High) are reasonably good (or at least they were)

I'm not a real fan of Caboolture either. There are some nice parts, but there are so many nicer places. Alot of the suburbs on the northside of Brissie are nice, like Sandgate and Brighton, good schools and transport there too, as well as being close to the beach(ish)

Good to see so many people moving to QLD, its the best state. Just a shame when I come back with Russ we'll be living in Sydney (more jobs and lower temperatures.. the heat kills me..)

Happy Hunting... if you want any more local info, just get in touch.

Cheers

Cam

Hi, Thanks for all that info. It is so hard to have an idea where to live when you have never been to Oz. Has anyone got any info on North Lakes ??

Thank you to everyone for replying , Cheers Sue ( foggy ) XX

Guest Cam_Russ
Hi, Thanks for all that info. It is so hard to have an idea where to live when you have never been to Oz. Has anyone got any info on North Lakes ??

Thank you to everyone for replying , Cheers Sue ( foggy ) XX

North Lakes is a much nicer area. It started being built in the late 90's and has really boomed since then. There are schools, and a good shopping centre, and of course you're only a 15 min drive from Redcliffe for the beaches, and restaurants etc...

Do you have a particular bias towards the northside?? Or would you also consider the southside?? There's lots of nice suburbs in the south, both inner, and outer. when you get out of town a bit, down as far as Cleveland and wellington point, they are lovely.

Just my opinion of course.... when do u go??

Cheers

Cam

These are areas we are looking into as well. Redcliffe looks lovely and not too far from Brissie just in case we get work there!

I must admit though I am being drawn towards north lakes... it seems to have everything that we want.

Was also looking southwards - Tanah merah has stuck in my head but not sure why? Does anyone have an clue as to if it is nice or not?

Guest T in Brisvegas
I live not far from Depression Bay...Well thats what the aussies call it!!!....I think it is an area on the up now but for a few years it was social housing, so many social problems...Caboolture is also very close by..Another area we chose not to live in...We live in a little suburb called Bellmere,It is very close to Caboolture but far enough away not to have to go there... but only here for 6 months renting tho so not too bad....For families I would suggest Caloundra, Beerwah, Buderim...Mooloolaba is gorgeous, Noosa..Bribie Island is also a real nice place...:) btw Lou is on her way to the Gold Coast for a few days and I am sure she will be back to tell you all of some more fab places

JO x

Hi Jo

glad to hear you have all settled in. My dad lives not far from the pool at Bellmere!

Teresa

Guest Morven33
Don't mean to be rude but alot of Brits seem to talk about Redcliff and I can see why, just wondered if there are alot of Brits there!!! Not that that 's a problem but just a thought. Thanks, Bernie :cute:

Hi Bernie

I live in Redcliffe and to be honest there is a multitude of nationalities here outnumbering native Queenslanders. You would be hard pushed to actually meet someone who comes from here. Its not a bad thing though, I just find it quite amusing. So in answer to your question, no there is not a huge amount of Brits here so its not like North Lakes, although of the two people I have met who live at North Lakes, one is a Kiwi and the other an Australian so it cant be all British people living there!

Thought I'd point out also to those who are thinking of moving to this area, a small suburb called Rothwell, which is between Redcliffe and Deception Bay. There are a lot of nice houses being built there just now, and not too expensive either. I have a friend who loves living out there and she is only a 5 min drive to my house in Redcliffe. As house prices are increasing in the Redcliffe area I think more people are looking to buy out the Deception Bay road, where you can get a 4 bed newish house with a pool for around $350,000, so you never know Deception Bay could well be on the up in the next few years.

If I can be of help to anyone moving to the Redcliffe area please dont hesitate sending me a message and I will do what I can. I am an expert on streets in this area having spent 2 months with my nose permanently glued to my computer screen on realestate.com and then driving round the streets!!!

Cheers

Morven

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Johnnnn

Hi my name is John

I live in Australia / Deception Bay

I have lived here now for the last 6 yrs

Anything i can help you with would be a pleasure.

Just send a list of Questions and ill try my best to help you guys out....

:)

Regards

John & Val

hi, just looking at ares in Brisbane at mo. OH favours Deception Bay. Does anyone know anything about this area, Schools, House Prices, Beaches etc ? Any info would be fab cheers. Never been to Oz , so going blind so any help, THANKS

Sue x:wacko::wacko:

Hi Sue, we've been in Oz now for 2 years and live approx. 7 mins away from Deception Bay and 20 mins from Caboolture. With the growth of the area, both these places within a few years will be different again to what they are now. Caboolture is a 50 min commute to the city on the train, and for what you would pay for a house now, you probably would be sure to see some excellent growth in the short term. They are what they are calling the 'ugly duckling' suberbs at the moment, but this is where the growth is. We rented on North Lakes for a year when we first arrived whilst we built our own home. We now live at Mango Hill, which is minutes away from North Lakes as it's neighbouring suberb. We love it here, the area feels very safe and we have everthing we could need on our doorsteps. The new shopping centre, has just doubled in size with stages 3-7 still to come - it is tipped to be the largest shopping complex in the Southern hemisphere. Mango Hill/North Lakes is minutes onto the Bruce Highway, so it's excellent for access into the city and up to the Sunshine Coast. Also, if anyone out there is looking for quality short term accommodation when they arrive, before they take up a longer term rental, we have a business catering for this, take a look at our website for further dets HEADSTART HOMESTAY - BRISBANE QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA :cool:

Cheers, Dale

Cheers from everyone for your advice.

Thanks Dale for that info, we are looking at North Lakes area now. So will definately keep you in mind when we need somewhere to rent.

Sue x:wubclub::wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi :wubclub:

Am quite new to this site

Wondered if could also feed back to me following your trip have been offred 2 jobs one in Redcliffe other in Brisbane itself and trying to decide which one. also if hear anything about the redcliffe hospital or princess Alexandra also known as PA in brisbane would be grateful.:v_SPIN:

Sue

We have a friend who works in A&E at Redcliffe and loves it. She says it is far less stressful than working back in the UK, but I guess it depends on whether you're a real go getter at work, or prefer an easier life. The PA is a far bigger hospital just south of the CBD. She loves Redcliffe as she can drive there in 10 mins from home and doesn't hit any traffic. Depends I suppose what you want out of your career.

• 11 months later...

Hi Bernie, We Have been in Redclifffe 7 weeks now and lovin it. I see your a Sparkie have you found any work yet, Company OH works for is looking at the mo, So if you move this way drop me a line.

Liz Griffiths :wubclub:

I have lived in Redcliffe and know it well and love it! moved from melbourne 6 years ago, looked at a map for a place with a beach near Brisbane and redcliffe came up, and here we are! I have worked on new houses in North Lakes and after seeing how a lot are built and how close to each other no way would I live there. Yes they are building a new pub, and look at where they are building it! on the main highway where you need a car to get to it. Yes there are a lot moving there and a lot moving out, 2 lots of friends who are afraid of going out at night because of gangs of young violent kids who have nowhere to go, and also fed up with having to listen to next door having a blue or whatever due to the house too close to each other. enough of this rant from me. In 10 years I believe it could become a real ghetto. Depends what street you are in I suppose, the first part is OK but as you go in further from the highway the more comfortable you get with your neighbours lol. some parts you have to drive a few kls to buy a loaf of bread! I know I might get hammered for these comments but these are my views and those who have lived there for 3 years and itching to sell and get out.

Don't knock Deception Bay it is improving and I believe it is the best part of North Bris for investment.

The crap are moving out and have been moving out up to Caboolture and in 5 years it will be great to live except for the beaches. Someone mentioned Rothwell, yes not bad, lower density housing and affordable, quite convenient!

But Redcliffe is great but if you want a modern 2 story house with swimming pool home theatre and all the mod cons alot of people want forget it, unless you move to the canal area of Newport[and the mozzies]also a large bank balance!

Another place to look at for the future is back from the water at Clontarf. the whole waterfront will be developed into quite a place to live. Medium height buildings marinas planned etc.

Lovely breeze coming through ahead of a storm I think.

If anyone from North lakes want to abuse me for my comments I am at the Redcliffe jetty market of a Sunday selling fudge, come and see me and I will give you some to try. No offence meant otherwise.

Regards

We visited in June and really wanted to like Deception Bay, because you can get a fantastic house for very little money. I do believe, as others have said, that in the next ten years Deception Bay will become more upmarket. However, at the moment it is a bit of a dive. It has a lovely foreshore, although yes mudflats, shopping centre and great infrastructure but there is almost ghetto like housing a block or two back from the beach and we weren't impressed with the High School. By the time it improves our kids will be gone so we opted out of that idea.

Parts of Burpengary are nice and we could easily live there.

Redcliffe is kind of cute and quite close to Brisbane. Out of rush hour we made it in about 10 -15 minutes. Nice beach, shops and beach front cafes. Scarborough is lovely but getting a bit expensive. If you have the money and the boat this is a place to be. Woody Point is also lovely but we can't find a 4 brm home in our price range anymore. Depends what you can afford. Kippa-ring is more affordable, but a lot of it is more inland and quite ordinary unless you find something on the border of Redcliffe. Some of Rothwell is nice and out towards Kallangur, Narangba is quite nice, but getting to be a long commute from CBD.

If you want to live closer try Strathpine, Bracken Ridge and Bald Hills. Older housing but reasonably close to town and beach.

HI

Just moved out here 2 weeks ago and dont pick a complex, they seem to be housing association places. We are in strathpine as we were limited in price 300-350 pw as only 1 wage coming in at mo. I feel we have moved into a refugee camp, if you get my drift, really peed off!! My fault for promising the kids a pool!! nevermind 6 months to find out where's best. Have been told by many ozzies north is best as south can be quite rough, but then again a taxi driver told me north and south nare very territorial. Not like Brits at all!! (me being welsh).

Anyway been to redcliffe and it is a very nice place but nightmare if you need to work in the city!! Shorncliffe, sandgate all these place are nice down the coast line. As everyone says deception is rough!

Northlakes is nice with a gr8 shopping mall, but dont be fooled its cheap here cause it aint!

Again if the mrs aint gotta a car she might go insane!!

anyway hope all this helps and if you want anymore info just pm me and I will be happy to help as I got all day!!!

PS pubs aint very good here either, not very pub orientated at all, thats another thing drving me mad!!

cheers

Jules

Archived