Deception Bay, Queensland

Guest foggy

Guest HappyBunny
I have lived in Redcliffe and know it well and love it! moved from melbourne 6 years ago, looked at a map for a place with a beach near Brisbane and redcliffe came up, and here we are! I have worked on new houses in North Lakes and after seeing how a lot are built and how close to each other no way would I live there. Yes they are building a new pub, and look at where they are building it! on the main highway where you need a car to get to it. Yes there are a lot moving there and a lot moving out, 2 lots of friends who are afraid of going out at night because of gangs of young violent kids who have nowhere to go, and also fed up with having to listen to next door having a blue or whatever due to the house too close to each other. enough of this rant from me. In 10 years I believe it could become a real ghetto. Depends what street you are in I suppose, the first part is OK but as you go in further from the highway the more comfortable you get with your neighbours lol. some parts you have to drive a few kls to buy a loaf of bread! I know I might get hammered for these comments but these are my views and those who have lived there for 3 years and itching to sell and get out.

Don't knock Deception Bay it is improving and I believe it is the best part of North Bris for investment.

The crap are moving out and have been moving out up to Caboolture and in 5 years it will be great to live except for the beaches. Someone mentioned Rothwell, yes not bad, lower density housing and affordable, quite convenient!

But Redcliffe is great but if you want a modern 2 story house with swimming pool home theatre and all the mod cons alot of people want forget it, unless you move to the canal area of Newport[and the mozzies]also a large bank balance!

Another place to look at for the future is back from the water at Clontarf. the whole waterfront will be developed into quite a place to live. Medium height buildings marinas planned etc.

Lovely breeze coming through ahead of a storm I think.

If anyone from North lakes want to abuse me for my comments I am at the Redcliffe jetty market of a Sunday selling fudge, come and see me and I will give you some to try. No offence meant otherwise.

Regards

Agree with you about North Lakes aka Little Britain. We too looked there when we arrived as we were staying in Redcliffe but wanted a newer house. We viewed one and did a drive by on a few others. Yes it does have a fab shopping centre but we found that it was too far to walk to the shops and the school from most of the development, so we would definately need two cars. When we got chatting to an expat who works in Queensland Transport, we said we were thinking of North Lakes and she said that her friend lived there and the school was over subscribed and alot of the kids were in portacabins because they had run out of room. She also said the head wouldn't know a pupils name if he fell over the child. Of course this is only her opinion but it did make us think twice about whether it was for us.

Redcliffe is nice though a bit dated and as everyone says up and coming. We couldn't take the kids to the Sanctuary Cove Settlement one morning when we were there because of an incident the night before which put us off a bit. We did really like Margate and Scarborough, but wanted to rent a newish house which effectively ruled them out. Choosing an area is so difficult especially when you have never been before. I honestly thought we would have settled in Redcliffe, luckily we did a holiday rental as when we got here realised it wasn't for us, for one reason and another. Sunny Coast is lovely, but if you are working in Brisbane it's too far. Like one of the other posters said, unless you have a specific reason for wanting Northside, keep your options open as there are lots of nice areas Southside as well.

Guest Lyndhurst
Agree with you about North Lakes aka Little Britain. We too looked there when we arrived as we were staying in Redcliffe but wanted a newer house. We viewed one and did a drive by on a few others. Yes it does have a fab shopping centre but we found that it was too far to walk to the shops and the school from most of the development, so we would definately need two cars. When we got chatting to an expat who works in Queensland Transport, we said we were thinking of North Lakes and she said that her friend lived there and the school was over subscribed and alot of the kids were in portacabins because they had run out of room. She also said the head wouldn't know a pupils name if he fell over the child. Of course this is only her opinion but it did make us think twice about whether it was for us.

Redcliffe is nice though a bit dated and as everyone says up and coming. We couldn't take the kids to the Sanctuary Cove Settlement one morning when we were there because of an incident the night before which put us off a bit. We did really like Margate and Scarborough, but wanted to rent a newish house which effectively ruled them out. Choosing an area is so difficult especially when you have never been before. I honestly thought we would have settled in Redcliffe, luckily we did a holiday rental as when we got here realised it wasn't for us, for one reason and another. Sunny Coast is lovely, but if you are working in Brisbane it's too far. Like one of the other posters said, unless you have a specific reason for wanting Northside, keep your options open as there are lots of nice areas Southside as well.

hi

thankyou for the information, we too were looking at north lakes area but i see from your profile you are now in Ormeau. this is a place along with coomera that we ahev looked at (i know wide spread but keeping our options open).

any information on Ormeau would be apreciated like the reasons why you chose it and what typs of hosing it has in the best areas. also if you could advise me on how long it would take to the CBD.

thankyou in advance

cheryl xx

Guest HappyBunny
hi

thankyou for the information, we too were looking at north lakes area but i see from your profile you are now in Ormeau. this is a place along with coomera that we ahev looked at (i know wide spread but keeping our options open).

any information on Ormeau would be apreciated like the reasons why you chose it and what typs of hosing it has in the best areas. also if you could advise me on how long it would take to the CBD.

thankyou in advance

cheryl xx

Hi Cheryl, we wanted a new build house in a nice area with good schools and facilities (as we have 3 kids). OH works in Brisbane so needs to be commutable and within easy reach of the beaches. Ormeau is rapidly expanding as it's in such a good location, plenty of shops for essentials here and we have a Westfield, Australia Fair, Hyperdome and Ikea all within easy reach. If you've got kids there are theme parks galore within minutes. It's only a couple of minutes to the motorway, has a train station, primary and senior schools (state and private) with another 2 being built. I prefer Ormeau and Pacific Pines, Pimpama is nice but doesn't seem to be a lot there and I've heard good things about Coomera, particularly Upper Coomera. Lots of positives to living here, my only negative is that Ormeau is a bit bland, there is nothing to differentiate it from any other new estate in Queensland, but that's just me, so don't let that put you off. Rental prices are competitive. We are on the Pimpama Rivers development, but looking to move at the end of our tenancy to hopefully Norfolk Village or possibly Jacobs Ridge or the new Riverside if they have any finished and up for rent by then. One thing we love here is the wildlife, we have lorikeets and cockatoos visit the garden and these funny little geckos, I still can't get over that! Hope this helps. If you want any more info, pm me. x

Guest Lyndhurst
Hi Cheryl, we wanted a new build house in a nice area with good schools and facilities (as we have 3 kids). OH works in Brisbane so needs to be commutable and within easy reach of the beaches. Ormeau is rapidly expanding as it's in such a good location, plenty of shops for essentials here and we have a Westfield, Australia Fair, Hyperdome and Ikea all within easy reach. If you've got kids there are theme parks galore within minutes. It's only a couple of minutes to the motorway, has a train station, primary and senior schools (state and private) with another 2 being built. I prefer Ormeau and Pacific Pines, Pimpama is nice but doesn't seem to be a lot there and I've heard good things about Coomera, particularly Upper Coomera. Lots of positives to living here, my only negative is that Ormeau is a bit bland, there is nothing to differentiate it from any other new estate in Queensland, but that's just me, so don't let that put you off. Rental prices are competitive. We are on the Pimpama Rivers development, but looking to move at the end of our tenancy to hopefully Norfolk Village or possibly Jacobs Ridge or the new Riverside if they have any finished and up for rent by then. One thing we love here is the wildlife, we have lorikeets and cockatoos visit the garden and these funny little geckos, I still can't get over that! Hope this helps. If you want any more info, pm me. x

Hi

Thankyou so much for your reply.

i will be looking at working at one of the hospitals in Brisbane so that is why i was originaly looking at north lakes as its closer to the city (i think), how long do you think it would take me from Ormeau to get to the mater mothers or birsbane womans as working full time i dont want to spend my life traveling

im so glad you have settled there and seems funny you looked at all the places we have been looking.

are the prices of houses comming down like thay are in the UK, i hope so cos we have had to reduce our house. prices in Ormeau seem realy good and there seems to be some dual living as we would be looking for these as my parents will be over for 6 months at a time.

can i just ask one more question, i have a 16 year old and a 6 year old which do you think would be the best schools in the area for them as then i can have a look on the websites.

i hope you dont mind me asking the questions

thankyou so much:notworthy:

cheryl :wubclub:

Guest HappyBunny
Hi

Thankyou so much for your reply.

i will be looking at working at one of the hospitals in Brisbane so that is why i was originaly looking at north lakes as its closer to the city (i think), how long do you think it would take me from Ormeau to get to the mater mothers or birsbane womans as working full time i dont want to spend my life traveling

im so glad you have settled there and seems funny you looked at all the places we have been looking.

are the prices of houses comming down like thay are in the UK, i hope so cos we have had to reduce our house. prices in Ormeau seem realy good and there seems to be some dual living as we would be looking for these as my parents will be over for 6 months at a time.

can i just ask one more question, i have a 16 year old and a 6 year old which do you think would be the best schools in the area for them as then i can have a look on the websites.

i hope you dont mind me asking the questions

thankyou so much

cheryl

Hiya

You'd be surprised, Mango Hill/North Lakes is about 50 minutes in the car to the Mater Hospital, not allowing for traffic which starts building up on the motorway really early. Ormeau to the Mater is just under 40 minutes, again not allowing for traffic. So not much between the two. The train from Ormeau to South Bank, which I think is the nearest station is about 55 minutes.

For schools info have a look at Education Phone Directory you can select either state or private schools and primary or secondary schools. You will need to select 'Logan-Albert Beaudesert' in the field Education District. I can only really comment on the schools in Ormeau, all the primary schools have a good reputation. Pimpama is small like a village school, Ormeau has over 1000 pupils but still has a good name, there is a new school opening in Norfolk Village in January. Secondary Schools at the moment are in Coomera or Beenleigh with a school bus service but a new secondary school is opening here is January as well. Several private schools in the vicinity all Christian, Rivermount College has the best reputation.

I don't keep that much of a watch on the house prices as we won't be buying for a while, but they have seemed pretty static. I have been told they are starting to drop now so that's good news. Certainly lots up for sale with some pretty good offers about where people are keen to sell.

Lots of info to take in I know, but hopefully this will help. If I can be of any more help, just let me know. x:spinny:

Guest Lyndhurst
Hiya

You'd be surprised, Mango Hill/North Lakes is about 50 minutes in the car to the Mater Hospital, not allowing for traffic which starts building up on the motorway really early. Ormeau to the Mater is just under 40 minutes, again not allowing for traffic. So not much between the two. The train from Ormeau to South Bank, which I think is the nearest station is about 55 minutes.

For schools info have a look at Education Phone Directory you can select either state or private schools and primary or secondary schools. You will need to select 'Logan-Albert Beaudesert' in the field Education District. I can only really comment on the schools in Ormeau, all the primary schools have a good reputation. Pimpama is small like a village school, Ormeau has over 1000 pupils but still has a good name, there is a new school opening in Norfolk Village in January. Secondary Schools at the moment are in Coomera or Beenleigh with a school bus service but a new secondary school is opening here is January as well. Several private schools in the vicinity all Christian, Rivermount College has the best reputation.

I don't keep that much of a watch on the house prices as we won't be buying for a while, but they have seemed pretty static. I have been told they are starting to drop now so that's good news. Certainly lots up for sale with some pretty good offers about where people are keen to sell.

Lots of info to take in I know, but hopefully this will help. If I can be of any more help, just let me know. x:spinny:

thank you so much again, feel i will be forever greatful to you by the time we make it over there.

we will look around when we come but i feel the swings are swaying towards Ormeau. i didnt know there was not much of a difference time wise between the two, when i looked at realestate.com i was just going on the milage (just shows you even best laid plans dont always work out when done from the UK)

i feel really excited now and i dont know why something just says it will have all the things we are looking for.

we were looking north side as i found properties cheeper and travel in KM less, but i feel it will be doable from the lovely Gold Cost.

if you get any info on the new schools that are opening it would be great and i will look at the link you have posted above.

i hope you have had a good weekend, i am sat here in my slippers ordering my little boy a wii on line for christmas, i wish it was warm and he could go in the pool instead.

thanks again, keep in touch,

cheryl:wubclub:

hi, just looking at ares in Brisbane at mo. OH favours Deception Bay. Does anyone know anything about this area, Schools, House Prices, Beaches etc ? Any info would be fab cheers. Never been to Oz , so going blind so any help, THANKS

Sue x:wacko::wacko:

Only been here since June and would defo recommend Redcliffe over DBay!! We are in Kallangur which is 2mins from North Lakes and 10mins from Redcliffe. Like it here as we're an hour to Sunshine coast and an hour to Gold coast. When are you due here? x

Guest HappyBunny

if you get any info on the new schools that are opening it would be great and i will look at the link you have posted above.

Hi Cheryl, glad you are looking forward to the big move there's so much to plan isn't there? The following link has the web pages for the 2 new schools in Ormeau, but I've checked and there isn't any info at the moment so not much help, but keep checking it as I'm sure they will start updating it soon as the new schools open in a couple of months.

South Coast Regional MIS School - Home

The Gold Coast website has some great photos of the different beaches along the strip and beachcams as well to get you in the mood Gold Coast City Council - Our beaches

We've just got ours a Wii, can't them off it!! Haven't decided about xmas but thinking trampoline to get them back outdoors and away from the Wii !! Best wishes

Hiya

Is there a nearer hospital than the maters?

JOHN

Archived