Need advice about a 5 your old boys...

Irishgirl1

Hi know this is not the place for asking advice other than immigration info, although we all chat about many life issues.

I am really just after some stories and advice on what other PIO members little boys were like at 5.

I will be honest and I am really struggling with my little man at the moment and I am at my wits end and crying daily with worry/stress and concern and wondering if it will all get better.

I am a stresser as it is, but I just want to hear stories to know if he is just a normal 5year old.

Thank you

Laney xxx

Guest Guest16631

..............have had 3 boys...............eldest nearly 26 youngest 15..........................also worked in childcare as a nurse and in play groups ..........................whats up??.......................

My son was a bedwetter, and I worried about it for no reason, as he grew out of it. I look back at some of the things I worried about back then and realise now that I shouldn't have worried, but of course you do. You haven't mentioned anything specific, but I remember my son was pretty headstrong, never seemed to accept no, doing tantrums etc and gave me a few hairy moments. He's 21 now, and is a great kid, but it was hard work (and still is by the way). Maybe you are worrying too much, try and relax, tell him you love him everyday and cuddle him lots - that will ensure that he knows he is loved.

Guest Guest16631

The five-year old lives in the here and now, and doesn't comprehend the idea of long-term consequences. He has difficulty seeing a point of view that is different from his own and this can make him seem stubborn and argumentative.......................did find these attributes hard to deal with at the time...................moving constantly was also a challenge.............but as olly said..............they grow out of it ...............they grow up too quickly.............try to enjoy the now............warts and all.................:smile:trying to send pm......................internet a bit ************

Guest GoldCoastMag

5 year olds seem to waver between acting like a teenager and a two year old. As someone said, hugs and cuddles, telling them they are loved and giving consequences that are age appropriate if they misbehave.

My son seemed to use all his good up at school! It was as if the teacher had a different little boy in her class to the one that came home. Mine all managed to survive, and obviously so did I, but support from others in the same situation can really help. So can a little mum time if you need time to look after yourself.

anyway, good luck it does all come right in the end

Why not go and have a chat to the school counsellor at your son's school just to see if what you are getting is what he is like in other forums with other people - and if not, what are they doing that you are not. Think about what it is that isnt working for you and him - if what you are doing isnt working then stop doing it. He is only 5, he needs firm boundaries and consistent responses from his parents (both of you on the same page). At the end of the day there is only one person's behaviour you can change - yours! :hug: little boys can be a right PITA but by the time they are 25 they are usually fairly nice human beings. Hang in there.

Guest NeilEB

My son is only 3 and he already acts like a teenager.

Stroppy and moody when he doesn't get his own way, sulky, answering back.

But most of the time he is the cutest little boy you ever want to meet - shame he's so competetive!

what's the matter with your boy?

:hug:Thank you very much for everyone's replys

I got some wonderful info from a couple of PM's from some lovely Ladies:yes:

Gold Coast Mag your first sentence is exactly how I would describe my little man

The thing is my little boy is the same where ever he is, he is no different at school well most of the time anyway.

Thank you again

It was just nice to get some other peoples experiences with there 5 year olds

Thank you Laney:notworthy:

I am a mum of 3 boys, ages 3yrs, 5yrs and 7 yrs. They are energetic, charge around, can't walk from A to B have to run, jump and climb on everything. Fight and argue constantly. However, they can be loving, affectionate and although they drive me mad I love them to bit. I don't think there is a particularly easy age with kids, from what I hear if we think it is tough now wait till they get to teenage years. I do find I have to pick my battles so that I am not constantly nagging at them. The one thing I am adament about is they have to respect me in the way they speak to me and behave towards me. There are some great books out there about bringing up boys. I was always a clean freak, always wanted to have a clean tidy house, however having boys has challenged me in that area. At the end of the day when the kids are older are they going to remember having a clean house or that mum spent time reading, playing board games. Be strong, consistent and remember it is not an easy job being a mum.

Archived