How much to build house?

shaza

Hi guys. Just a question completely out of curiosity and may not be possible to answer but How much (roughly), would it cost to buy a nice size piece of land (big enough for 4 bedrooms and garden) and build a house, around Gold Coast?

Was just scanning through real estate & found decent size land for around $250,000 and im assuming to build a house would probably be around $100,000. Am I way off or not? Maybe someone has built a house and may be able to advise me.

Build it yourself or get a company to build it? It all depends what spec of house you want. For a decent 4x2 I'd guess you would be looking at $150k lowest, upto $200k+ for the same house, higher spec.

You need to consult a builder and a lender as there are numerous other costs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JK2510

You could even be looking at $250-$300k for a house with a decent spec. You mustn't forget the finishing costs as the price of the house build comes without carpets,tiles etc... The gardens are usually sand and the Walls are not even painted!! All those hidden bits really add up.

Guest sieglinde00

You should be looking at $180k-$250k for a single storey house, and more if you are building a double storey house.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are on the sunny coast, Beerwah, we bought 1/2 an acre, built a highset and put a pool in. Land was $260k, House and pool about $380k still got to put a shed up yet and that'll be another $15k. Don't forget your landscaping costs too, thats another extra!

Paul

Guest guest30038

I'd look at buying a ready built that suits your specs. I've got the house that I wanted but the extra specs put heaps on the original quote. I'd never build again. ...........the hidden costs, wait, and aggro, simply isn't worth it, IMHO. Landscaping, retaining wall and fencing alone cost 70k alone. That said, all up with land (bought earlier at 100k), it cost me 350K 6 yrs ago. Same build now would cost between 6 and 700k with land

Take a look here for the build from start to finish and what was involved and the problems encountered: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/62319-building-my-home.html

good luck

kev

Land $250k

House: Take the advertised cost of building with a volume builder (Metricon, Porter Davies, Simmons etc.,) and add another $70k

Plus add rental cost $400 per week for at least a year while you buy the land, find the right house and build it (took us two years!)

Volume builders don't include everything and the price they quote is for a pretty basic fit-out. Even with special offers you'll still be looking at $70K extra. Examples of what to include in this extra $70k is:

- concrete driveway and paths $10,000

- Fencing $1,000

- Landscaping (minimum) $5,000 (DIY)

- decking - $3,000

- pergola - $1500

- retaining walls $2,000 +

- shed $1,000

- Curtains and blinds - $1,000

- Carpets, tiles, wood flooring $10,000

- Aircon - $2,000

- Site cut (site prep) minimum $10,000 for a slope with a very slight gradient.

- Laundry cabinets and benches $3,000

- Extra power points and lighting,

- bit of a bathroom upgrade,

- extra roof insulation

- water tank

Check out the web sites for the volume builders for their costs. A 24 square house is okay. Anything smaller might be a bit cramped. 30 or 32 square is great. Anything close to 40 squares or more is unnecessary imo

Hi guys. Just a question completely out of curiosity and may not be possible to answer but How much (roughly), would it cost to buy a nice size piece of land (big enough for 4 bedrooms and garden) and build a house, around Gold Coast?

Was just scanning through real estate & found decent size land for around $250,000 and im assuming to build a house would probably be around $100,000. Am I way off or not? Maybe someone has built a house and may be able to advise me.

We built last year (although we are in Victoria)...........................

If I had my time again, I would have just bought a ready built or stayed in renting.

As previous posters have said - the cost of the build is fine, it is the so called 'extras' that run away with your money.

Do not be seduced by these display/showhomes as that definately is not what you get..........or you could if you are willing to shell out mega bucks.

Be wary of what builder you opt for - get recommendations (if possible) from people who have already used the builders.

It can be a minefield and is not something to be rushed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

we are thinking of building in Victoria, I wonder if you could tell us who you used and what you thought of them?

Its difficult to get recommendations as most of the people we know are in rentals!

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Hi,

we are thinking of building in Victoria, I wonder if you could tell us who you used and what you thought of them?

Its difficult to get recommendations as most of the people we know are in rentals!

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Hi there,

We used G.J.Gardner to build our home -

We really had no major problems with them - they kept us informed of everything and I would have no hesitation in recommending them to potential buyers..................................They are based in Geelong.

Archived