Depression history and a visa application

Guest AndyRoberts

Guest AndyRoberts

Hi all, not sure how much this has been covered, but wondered if anyone had any experience of this situation.

I am currently starting the process of relocating to Oz. One thing that worries me is when it comes to medicals, and they look at my medical history, they will see two episodes (one 4 years ago and one last year) which resulted in a little timeoff work, and a course of anti depressants.

Is this normal grounds for refusing a visa? Or is it dependant of your case officer / doctor report / individual circumstances.

As you can understand this does worry me a little, and relocating is one of the things that I am doing to improve my life and get over the rough patches I have had. So any light anyone can shed on this would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Guest Taylor72
Hi all, not sure how much this has been covered, but wondered if anyone had any experience of this situation.

I am currently starting the process of relocating to Oz. One thing that worries me is when it comes to medicals, and they look at my medical history, they will see two episodes (one 4 years ago and one last year) which resulted in a little timeoff work, and a course of anti depressants.

Is this normal grounds for refusing a visa? Or is it dependant of your case officer / doctor report / individual circumstances.

As you can understand this does worry me a little, and relocating is one of the things that I am doing to improve my life and get over the rough patches I have had. So any light anyone can shed on this would be great.

Thanks

Hi Andy

Try not to worry they will be looking at long term health conditions, and with your depression if you have not been diagnosed with manic depression etc which may have resulted in sectioned admission. And if your not on medication you should be ok as everyone at sometime in their life has a blip. I had post natel depression and was on antidepressents for 12 months and i still got my visa. Its just my opinion but you should be fine.

Good luck

Annette

From what I have read in the past they assess the cost of health issues against your expected contributions by tax

Think that was something like what I read but someone will confirm soon I'm sure

I wouldn't imagine short episodes of depression would be a problem

I hope not as I had 2 weeks off last year ! There are more people than you think that suffer at some point in their life. I have 5 friends that spring to mind without even thinking about it!

Best of luck with your plans :)

Guest DaneD

The panel doctor who examined me, in Manchester, said that he meets lots of people who do/have suffered from depression and it doesn't cause any problems at all.

Guest AndyRoberts

Thanks all for your input - makes me feel a wee bit better about it. Just hoping that everything goes ok - need to find work first though haha. Anybody hiring a construction manager?

Andy

Guest mazkinmond5

Hey everyone, anybody heard about BMI and meds my OH is in the obese category would this cause a problem?

Guest neoirl

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site. Just joined today. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Anyway, I've just lodged my first WHV and I have attached a medical letter from a Consultant Psychiatrist stating my diagnosis, current medication and a very good prognosis, stating that I am controlling my illness very well on my current medication and that I was symptom free when I was last seen in February.

If I am still well next month, I will only require a prescription from a G.P. for my current maintenance medication. I take a lowish dose of an anti-depressant and a very low dose of an anti-psychotic (hate that word) to regulate my mood. I have a diagnosis of Bipolar Affective Disorder Type 2, which is the mild version of the illness. It's the depression part that I suffer with mostly.

I have never been psychotic, tried to harm myself or others and I have never been hospitalised or anything like that.

It is more than likely that DIAC will refer me to a panel doctor, which should be no problem.

So, does anyone have any advice or reasurance on this?

Guest duncanlauren
Hey everyone, anybody heard about BMI and meds my OH is in the obese category would this cause a problem?

i am 'obese' according to BMI and have been anti-depressants for nearly 3 years as well as meds to prevent migrains. the doc said this kind of thing is minor and we now have our visas and are on our way to Oz on 29 april for good, visas in hand.

Dont stress yourself at all about it!

Depression will be treated like any other illness. Were you only treated by your GP or did you see a psychiatrist at a hospital? Whichever it was, ask either of them for a letter which will detail the following: Illness, treatment and prognosis. The more information you supply at the time of the medical the less likely it is for them to ask for more after. If you are working it's always good for the Dr. to say that your illness is stable and does not prevent you from workingThere has been one member who I remember who was aksed to see a psychiatrist ... which they did for a one off appointment and they got their visa.

Guest neoirl
Depression will be treated like any other illness. Were you only treated by your GP or did you see a psychiatrist at a hospital? Whichever it was, ask either of them for a letter which will detail the following: Illness, treatment and prognosis. The more information you supply at the time of the medical the less likely it is for them to ask for more after. If you are working it's always good for the Dr. to say that your illness is stable and does not prevent you from workingThere has been one member who I remember who was aksed to see a psychiatrist ... which they did for a one off appointment and they got their visa.

Hi Ali! I was treated as an Out Patient at my local Community Mental Health Services. I have a letter submitted with my WHV application stating illness, treatment and prognosis.

My illness has never prevented me from not working but unfortunately it didn't state that on the letter although it does say that I am asymptomatic.

Guest neoirl
Thanks all for your input - makes me feel a wee bit better about it. Just hoping that everything goes ok - need to find work first though haha. Anybody hiring a construction manager?

Andy

Hi Andy!

I'm a chippy by trade and I use SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site to search for jobs. Lots of look there. Plenty of Construction Manager Jobs there, I'm sure.

Neoirl - I think you will find each case is judged independently. I have a friend with a similar diagnosis to yours who was referred to a Consultant Psychiatrist by DIAC following her medical, for further reports. 6 months later her ENS was granted. Good Luck!

Guest DaneD

i had to fill out a questionnaire that my panel doctor sent to me, thats pretty self explanatory. its up to you to provide any information you think they would want to know. the doc doesnt want to know if you were perscribed a cough medicine 5 years ago, more like if you have had a triple heart bypass or something.

Guest neoirl
Neoirl - I think you will find each case is judged independently. I have a friend with a similar diagnosis to yours who was referred to a Consultant Psychiatrist by DIAC following her medical, for further reports. 6 months later her ENS was granted. Good Luck!

Hi Rossmoyne,

Thanks for that. I feel less worried now. I'm not applying for residency yet. I'm starting with a working holiday visa and if I like Oz, well then I can look into skilled migration or ENS. I was advised by my doctor and migration agent to declare my illness now and get it out of the way, if not it could come back and bite me in the ass if I lie now.

Guest mazkinmond5
i am 'obese' according to BMI and have been anti-depressants for nearly 3 years as well as meds to prevent migrains. the doc said this kind of thing is minor and we now have our visas and are on our way to Oz on 29 april for good, visas in hand.

Dont stress yourself at all about it!

Thanks for that, its put our minds at ease, so much so that my OH is just heading off to the kitchen for the biscuit tin LOL

:jiggy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neoirl

Hi everyone again!

Just a quick message to let everyone know that I got my WHV (with the intention of permanent residency) granted on the basis of a mental illness.

My Visa was lodged on the 5th of April 2011. It was referred to the MOC on the 13th of April, which was yesterday, and today, 14th April, my WHV was granted.

I can't believe how quickly it was processed.

The MOC were obviously happy with my Psychiatric report from a consultant.

So, if anyone else is taking my route to residency via a WHV, and has a mental illness such as depression or bipolar disorder, just make sure to attach a medical letter from a consultant psychiatrist stating your condition, medication and prognosis.

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully declaring this now will stand to me when applying for residency.

Archived