Adelaide Metro Beaches (For the Hoff!)

Guest Guest9973

Guest Guest9973

We've just come back for a bit of a drive down through Adelaide and the esplenade / beachfront areas.

Here are a few pics for you Jim.

It's a public holiday so the beaches are packed............ errr.

Looking north over from Kingston Park over Seacliff,Brighton and up to Glenelg.

14032011108.jpg

Henley Beach looking north.

14032011107.jpg

Henley Beach looking south.

14032011106.jpg

We had my nephews visit us last year. One of them had been living and working in Biarritz for a couple of years. We took them down to the local beach on a typical nice cloudless Perth day and their first impression was "where's all the people". They couldn't get their head around brilliant weather, free parking, gorgeous beaches and not many people around.

The one from Biarritz said they had to travel 20mins away from where they lived to find room on a beach to lay a towel down when they had nice weather. They said taking a car down to the beach was almost unheard of as, even if you could find a place to park, it would cost a fortune and be time limited.

Makes us realise how lucky we are.

I'll chip in a few more ;) These were from our last trip back, Easter 2010. Glenelg beach

5210161834_7e28094556.jpg

5210162462_9bd39c8600.jpg

5209561163_fa540786e7.jpg

And a few more attached. As you can see, beach was positively teeming with life ;) Glenleg does get really busy on Australia day I am told. But every time we were there over a 4 week period last Easter is was pretty quiet. Water was lovely :)

You know, looking at these, I am reminded of the one thing my husband comments on more than anything about what he misses from Australia, Adelaide. He'll say 'the big sky' and say he misses its vastness. I have to say, he has something there. Here in the UK, we get 'big sky' but I myself notice just how big it seems in Aus.

I know it seems daft, I can't explain it in words, its just the impression you get looking around you. Some of those beach pics give an idea of what I am on about perhaps :)

Guest Guest9973
You know, looking at these, I am reminded of the one thing my husband comments on more than anything about what he misses from Australia, Adelaide. He'll say 'the big sky' and say he misses its vastness. I have to say, he has something there. Here in the UK, we get 'big sky' but I myself notice just how big it seems in Aus.

I know it seems daft, I can't explain it in words, its just the impression you get looking around you. Some of those beach pics give an idea of what I am on about perhaps :)

:cute:

Not on your own about the "Big sky", it was one of our impressions when we first visited.

Guest Guest9973
Cheers everyone for the great pictures............... how warm is the sea?

Dunno what temp in degrees but it was quite pleasant today. We did not swin in it - just had a couple of huge waves swamp the boat.

Thank goodness for bilge pumps.

Not a keen swimmer anyway - fish "do" things in the sea ,not to mention the sharks :shocked::shocked:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Dunno what temp in degrees but it was quite pleasant today. We did not swin in it - just had a couple of huge waves swamp the boat.

Thank goodness for bilge pumps.

Not a keen swimmer anyway - fish "do" things in the sea ,not to mention the sharks :shocked::shocked:

sharks..............did you say sharks, i don't like sharks, is there many attacks?

Guest Guest9973
sharks..............did you say sharks, i don't like sharks, is there many attacks?

Dunno we never get survivors reporting back :shocked:

Yep we have a few ,lost an Abalone fisherman last month.

Average is around 2 -3 deaths per year.

We had a White come and scratch his back on the bottom of our boat a few weeks ago. A very unsettling noise:swoon:

Probably more chance of being hit by a bus though............ Driven by a shark.:eek:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We went to Seaworld in Brisbane and it said something like................ 75 deaths in 104 years. I can't confirm these figures exactly, does anyone have any figures? Tyke your scaring us. lol

Argh!!

Really... Sharks???? 2-3 deaths a year????

Is that in Adelaide? I though with it been a gulf it would be safer. Do the sharks come into the shallower waters or are the incidents out deeper?

I'm worried now.

A

Really, think about it in terms of how many people are in the water and so on. I know when I was there back in 04 someone was killed by a shark. And again this year someone was killed but he was a long way out from shore (miles not metres iirc) and diving deep. But inbetween, its not been like people have been killed by sharks every month or anything.

I know where we use the beach in Adelaide, Glenelg it has lovely water and plenty of people swim in it. I think realistically you have more to worry about from a car crash than you do a shark killing you. And wherever you live in coastal Australia you have to contend with sharks of some kind or crocs in certain areas. Its a fact of life out there and one if you live there, you would adjust to :) Same with the spiders and snakes :eek:

I'm sorry but my irrational fear started by my mean brother as a kid has kicked in. He used to tell me there was a shark in the sea then grab my legs. I used to scream everytime and wouldn't go back in the water.

Should never, ever have watched jaws.

Appreciate what your saying re numbers of people, all the pictures of the beaches are empty though!!!

Is that cos they've all been eaten?

According to the stats, since 1985, 11 people have died in shark attacks in South Australian waters. Way more have died in car crashes, fires and probably even DIY accidents.

There was one this year, a fair way of the coast iirc and before that the last death was back in 2005. And he was diving.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm sorry but my irrational fear started by my mean brother as a kid has kicked in. He used to tell me there was a shark in the sea then grab my legs. I used to scream everytime and wouldn't go back in the water.

Should never, ever have watched jaws.

Appreciate what your saying re numbers of people, all the pictures of the beaches are empty though!!!

Is that cos they've all been eaten?

Calm down woman, only 11 since 1630 no need to panic. lol:laugh:

Guest guest37336

Hi Jim.

Still got that photo of you in Brisbane out on your ski, must remember to get it back to you mate,:embarrassed::biglaugh:.

Seriously this photo was taken by National Geographic in South Africa, still amazing though I reckon.

Common sense and an 'understanding' is all that is needed to live WITH sharks, they are truly spectacular, and never cease to amaze me. Often gets blown out of all proportion, just a common sense approach and all will be well, :yes:.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

just a common sense approach and all will be well

Like not going in the sea at all. lol

We never gave it a second thought, most attacks are either in the early morning or at dusk when sharks mainly feed and theres few attacks near the beach, so they say.

Guest Guest9973
Argh!!

Really... Sharks???? 2-3 deaths a year????

Is that in Adelaide? I though with it been a gulf it would be safer. Do the sharks come into the shallower waters or are the incidents out deeper?

I'm worried now.

A

Don't worry too much Amanda, look at my last comment, very rare.

Well that's how the sharks like their meat :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Archived