who sets your wage on a 457 visa???

cobbler

Hi All,

I have just had an email from my potential employer/sponsor 457. He has stated that the Australian Goverment sets the wage that an employer pays a worker on a 457 visa, if this is true then the figure he has told me is far to low for me to survive & not what I originally thought I would be earning:no:. I thought the goverment only states a minimum wage.

Help please

Guest Jamie Smith

The Govt does indeed set the minimum wage for 457 and other visas, largely to try and prevent the import of dirt cheap labour.

That said, some professions like hairdressing, hospitality, aged care tend to run quite low wages in the industry. And they complain they can't get good staff (without increasing prices).

Methinks the easy business model is low priceand hence low wages, but the smart business model is better value ie additional benefits that don't have to cost much, like clean and tidy premises, flexible trading hours, courteous service. :realmad: Happy customers spend more and bring more people to the business. So wages can then go up.

Suggest you check the average wage for your occupation via job portals and the 457 sponsorship report with wages by occupation by state from the DIAC web site.

Then ask the employer how long the trial period on lower wages would last, and how long he expects you to work for these wages once you pass the trial. If the answer is forever, then that employer is just interested in low cost workers (low prices) rather than productivity (better value all around).

Be moderate in your comments as it might be an industry issue of low wages, in which case you need to consider the total cost of moving and getting set up and if you can afford it, and think about how long you can last before a planned shift to other employment at a later date. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet as a means to an end, and other times you need to be aware of shonky employers.

Thanks,

After reading your link it looks to me that the employer thinks he has to pay the base rate for a 457 visa @ $45,220 p/a . I feel that I will have to get back to him (employer) & explain to him that this is not enough but I don't want him to feel I am being a pain & tells me not to bother going over to them.

How should I approch him??????

I have just had a email granting a eVISITOR visa for my stay in April which is planned for meetings etc, BUT should I email employer before I go OR should I wait until I meet the employer THEN talk about the wages matter ????

Please help because this is a make or break issue

Thanks

cobbler

Thanks,

After reading your link it looks to me that the employer thinks he has to pay the base rate for a 457 visa @ $45,220 p/a . I feel that I will have to get back to him (employer) & explain to him that this is not enough but I don't want him to feel I am being a pain & tells me not to bother going over to them.

Really you would be wanting more than $45K, do you reckon this employer has only budgeted for that figure?

bump please!

Not sure how much help anyone can give as who can say how he would react?

Do you think you could live on that wage?

I couldn't so I'd email him back and say that the wage he is offering is the minimum acceptable by DIAC but unfortunately it would not be enough for you to live on. You need to decide what your minimum acceptable wage would be.

I have just had a email granting a eVISITOR visa for my stay in April which is planned for meetings etc, BUT should I email employer before I go OR should I wait until I meet the employer THEN talk about the wages matter ????

Please help because this is a make or break issue

Thanks

cobbler

I have not spoke to the employer about wages yet but I have had an email from him this morning saying that they have accommodation for me to stay in central Perth so I can have a good look around whilst I visit them for a month in April. Going back to my previous post should I talk to him about the money now or go to them, have a good look around, see if the work, life, area etc suits me then talk figures with him when I am there??:confused:

I have not spoke to the employer about wages yet but I have had an email from him this morning saying that they have accommodation for me to stay in central Perth so I can have a good look around whilst I visit them for a month in April. Going back to my previous post should I talk to him about the money now or go to them, have a good look around, see if the work, life, area etc suits me then talk figures with him when I am there??:confused:

I reckon you would need more than $45K for Perth, hit him up for more cash for sure.

Personally I couldn't see the point in wasting any time and would want to get the money sorted out. If he doesn't increase it then you're not using up the time you have there and can get on with looking elsewhere.

Thanks,

Not sure where you got the figure of $45,220 but this is an old Minimum Salary Level (MSL) which no longer applies.

If a 457 application was lodged with a proposed salary for $45,220 it would result in a refusal.

Currently the “Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold” is set at $47,480 but even a salary at this rate may not necessarily meet “Market Rate” requirements.

Archived