Duvet covers - what size if buying in UK?

Shaz36

Hi,

I have the shippers coming in a few days and thought I should get round to buying some duvet covers to take over. I'm taking my double bed to keep as a spare so have plenty of double duvet sets, but will be buying a new bed for our bedroom. Can anyone tell me if Queen size is the standard size people buy over there and what size duvets you need to buy here to fit it?

I looked online at international bed sizes and it looked like a queen size bed in Australia is the same size as King size in the UK, but wanted to check with anyone who's bought in the UK for aussie beds before going and buying the wrong size.

Thanks

Shaz

My understanding is queen sized there is UK king give or take a cm or two. Sheets and duvets for a king sized should fit fine therefore. We have a king sized bed and I'm stocking up on a couple of spare sets before we move over. That and a really good extra duvet and a couple of spares for kids and guest beds.

I also used this Bed size - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest dawnpepper

yes we bought a new bedroom suite over here but are still using our UK mattress and I can tell you that a king size mattress fits a queen size bed here but is still smaller. If you buy king size duvet covers then they will fit the duvets (or doonas as they are called here)

Thanks, just ordered some in the M&S spring sale! Just ordered online, should come tomorrow and can pack for Thursday. They've got some great buys in the sale. You have to be quick though as I picked a few duvet covers but by the time I got to pay, one set was sold out.

Guest wendyd

Hi Ladies Re Duvet's , Don't Buy feather Duvets As Customs Wont Let Them In As They Are Of animal Origin ,:wink:Had Shippers Here Today & Feather Cushions Hope This Helps Good Luck To All Packing.

Guest HavenMarra

Seriously! We've loads of feather stuff - duvets, pillows - the sofa is massive and all feather filled!

Oh no.

Guest CandS
brought loads of feather pillows and duvets over plus sofa is feather filled and leather - not an issue. only untreated stuff is a problem such as your xmas pine cones and straw hats.

HOLY $%&*! MY PRICELESS COLLECTION OF STRAW HATS! :shocked:

What am I going to do???

Actually, we are going to have chuck out our laundry basket and some storage baskets... Glad to hear your sofa is going to be ok!

I can confirm that an Australian Double size duvet (or doona) does fit in a British Double size duvet cover if that helps anyone.... Probably not. I will say that Australian Morino wool duvets (or whatever you want to call them) are really good and far better than most of the duvets available in the UK.

Guest CandS

Actually, that is really helpful. We were wondering whether it was worth bringing our duvet to Brisbane, especially as I guess we won't need it for most of the year.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Im being very daft tonight....sorry...im a little confused on sizes of duvet ???, i have a standard 4.6 double sized bed here in the u.k...( and i have loads of new double ) sized sets of duvet covers here...will they NOT fit a standard double in australia ??.....i need to know as i wont shipp them if they wont and will go and get some new covers ...please help.x

UK double duvet is 200 x 200 cm

Oz double donna is 180 x 210 cm

What you may find is with the bigger bedrooms in the houses over here you will get a bigger bed. Most beds sold here are Queen size, similar in size to UK King.

Archived