price of shipping car @ motorbike

PARBUTTN

Guest edie209
If you have 20 TV's they might raise a few questions.

A fairly recent TV wont even get looked at. So long as its for personal use, and not for resale.

Thanks for clearing that one up.

Just out of interest what site would you use to look at used bikes in Oz so as to do a price comparison.

hi we have a toyota celica with low mileage (in oz worth £13000) i only paid 4k in uk for it. owned almost a year. my oh has a subaru impreza wrx wr1 (only 500 made in uk) worth an awful lot of cash in oz. wanting to either take both these cars when we get our visa or maybe sell my celica and get maybe an m3 to take over. I read somewhere that you can only take one car. does this mean one car per family or per person. thanks nicola

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Parbuttn

Thank you for the information you have posted regards your car import. I am looking to do the same on a Merc C220 59 plate when I go next year and have a few questions if you don't mind, some of which you may not have the answers for:

• What was the £20K price of your car based on? The UK price at the time of shipping or the Aus price, as this may add the Luxuary Car Tax to the total if over a certain amount. If it is the current UK price, did you have to get a valuation?
  • Did you get your car totally unblemished from the shippers, i.e. no damage done, like minor scratches?
  • The '10-20% less' retail value you have specified, does it matter, or affect the resale, if you don't change your speedo on the car to one that displays KM?
  • Do dealers generally give you around 80% of the usual price, even for part-exchange?
  • Did you find servicing costs the same for imported cars?
  • Did you have to modify any part of the car to adhere to local standard, i.e. CO2 emissions etc?
  • How does insurance work whilst sending it from the UK and receiving it in Aus?
  • And lastly ! How long did the whole process take? Did you have to be in the UK to see the car off, or could you leave it with someone to ship (assuming the 12-month rule has been met)?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks in advance !

Hi rajt,

I wil try and answer as best I can.

1. The 20K was the UK price, we were always unsure about this valuation, as it was never made clear to us whether it would be oz ot uk value, and to honest most people said it would be landed price(oz)less import valu, so we just assumedd we would have LCT to pay aswell.

2 The car and our motorbike were totally unblemished by the shippers, however the Range Rover when it went for compliance checks has had its licence plate drilled straight thru the paintwork with out using the correct brackets so we have had to sort this out.

3.The speedo will always have to be in KM for compliance.

4.Unsure about the dealer question as we only just got here, but Landrovers they import from UK so I cant see there being any servicing problems, and also no modifications were required.

5.You have to have marine insurance whilst being shipped, and it has been so easy to insure the vehicle here too.

6. The whole process from import licences to delivery was about 16 weeks, however, we had abit of delay with our container in Brisbane due to the floods!! We left same time as our container but as long as all the permit licences, car paperwork etc are with the shippers or someone else it should be ok.

They changed the Personal Import scheme end of last year so not too sure whether there is a time limit for you abide to, check the DOTAR website.

Hope this helps and make sure you do your homework. The replacement value would be a fortune here Mercs/ BMW/Audi.

Good luck

hi we have a toyota celica with low mileage (in oz worth £13000) i only paid 4k in uk for it. owned almost a year. my oh has a subaru impreza wrx wr1 (only 500 made in uk) worth an awful lot of cash in oz. wanting to either take both these cars when we get our visa or maybe sell my celica and get maybe an m3 to take over. I read somewhere that you can only take one car. does this mean one car per family or per person. thanks nicola

Its just one car per family, and you have had to own it for at least 12 months & bring it over when you emigrate. You cannot wait until the 12 months have passed, then get it shipped.

Guest zzr14001962

Hi Mate just reading your post,can you tell me please what shipping company did you use.I have 2 Motorcycles and some small personal belongings,to bring to Aus.can you tell me how much all in for container.10ft or 20ft.Thanks.Nick.:cool:

Hi Mate just reading your post,can you tell me please what shipping company did you use.I have 2 Motorcycles and some small personal belongings,to bring to Aus.can you tell me how much all in for container.10ft or 20ft.Thanks.Nick.:cool:

Hi Nick.

I replied to your PM as well.

Unfortunately if you definitely want to bring a bike over, you are going to have to choose between the 1400 & the 1000 :no: sorry

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_09.pdf

I didnt ship my own bike. Its a Yamaha XV1700 and they are very scarce in both Europe & Australia (I lived in Holland before emigrating here) and it was actually cheaper to buy here than buy in Holland and ship it here.

As I have already mentioned, have a good read of this thread, and you will need to make your own decisions.

Also become a member of the kwaka forum I sent you the link to, and ask the boys there. They are your best indicators of the local values.

Where are you likely to be headed?

Paul.

Thank you Parbuttn for your replies.

Just some further clarification on the speedo, did you need to get this converted here before shipping, or was it something you had to get done from the dealer once you shipped it?

Ta

We have an 04 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro - a lovely car with all bells and whistles - we could never afford to buy one in Oz as car prices seem very high - does anyone have a rough guide on what it would cost to ship it is probably only worth £5k in the UK. We have had it for 3 years - and any reccomendations on companies to use?

Thanking you in advance :)

We have an 04 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro - a lovely car with all bells and whistles - we could never afford to buy one in Oz as car prices seem very high - does anyone have a rough guide on what it would cost to ship it is probably only worth £5k in the UK. We have had it for 3 years - and any reccomendations on companies to use?

Thanking you in advance :)

Have a good read of the sticky thread at the top of this forum from Iron chef.

There is a heap of info on there about bringing cars over & the costs involved.

Have a check as well if the same model was a model shipped to Oz as well. Audi's are not cheap to service from what I have read, and spares might be a problem (take time to source, and not cheap)

Guest zzr14001962

Have a check as well if the same model was a model shipped to Oz as well. Audi's are not cheap to service from what I have read, and spares might be a problem (take time to source, and not cheap)

Cheers mate,will do.Nick

Guest zzr14001962

:arghh:

We are in the process of applying for our visa's at present, sent everything off and sat the english exams. Both are really looking forward to hopefully starting a new in Perth.

I have a Porsche 996 turbo that I am looking to take over with me but for the life of me cannot work out how much it will cost to take. Redbook say the car in present state is worth up to 120k aus but privately have seen them go for far more (in excess of 150k aus. With the varied pricing I have no clue as to put a price against it and work out the various charges.

If anyone could maybe shed a little light it would be most appreciated.

We are in the process of applying for our visa's at present, sent everything off and sat the english exams. Both are really looking forward to hopefully starting a new in Perth.

I have a Porsche 996 turbo that I am looking to take over with me but for the life of me cannot work out how much it will cost to take. Redbook say the car in present state is worth up to 120k aus but privately have seen them go for far more (in excess of 150k aus. With the varied pricing I have no clue as to put a price against it and work out the various charges.

If anyone could maybe shed a little light it would be most appreciated.

First of all have a good read of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

and this Govt link for more info:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_09.pdf

They should both provide lots of answers & info.

There was an excel spreadsheet on one of the expat sites some time back I thought from BigApe. Ill see if I can find that link as well

found it/them :)

http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/BritVics/ImportingYourCar

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600334

Archived