Private plate

Proview220

Hi proview, this was one of our queries, but was told that you cannot take your plate over their, and after validating in Jan 11, can see why not ! You can just get about anything on a PP over there !

I think we will put ours back onto retention certificate, until we make the decision to stay 100 %

Yeah our number plate system is fairly different (and far more 'open') than the UK.

Each state has its own specifications with colour/letter combinations and requirements. Theoretically, if you ended up in a state that allows yellow/black, you should be able to bring your UK plates and add the Australian state abbreviation to it without copping too much attention from police.

Most states here now do Euro-style number plates too, for anyone who is interested.

Here's the SA version:

Euro number plates - Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure (DTEI)

I slightly intrigued that anyone would even think that it was a possibility that they could bring their registration plates from one country to a foreign country and expect them to be legal. Australia is a foreign country with quite different regulations and expectations across the board. I think new migrants sometime lose sight of that - it isnt UK with sunshine.

However chances are you can get vanity plates here with the same letter/number combo and probably a nice pretty background to go with it.

Guest chris955

I have to agree, it does seem strange. As Quoll says it could be possible to get the same or similar plate here. It can be expensive depending on exactly what numbers/letters are on the plate.

We have a UK private plate and was told we couldnt use it here. We weren't that keen on selling it just incase things didnt work out here. We didnt want to put it on retention as id probably forget to pay the fee and lose it so we added a friends name on to the paperwork and he has it on his car. Its actually for my son so we don't want to sell it until he is 18 and decides if he wants to go back to the UK for a while.

Cal x

If you can afford a private plate why not? Your comment is like saying ;"why have a car, catch the bus!'', its personal prefernce and lots of people recieve private plates as gifts or for business purposes.

We personally bought ours for my son when he was born, we just hadnt contemplated on moving across the world,lol.

Cal x

Guest Guest31881
What's wrong with having a normal number plate like eveyone else? Too much money and not enough sense

Why post just to insult members, people choose the colour of their car, the style of fixtures and fittings, so why not a number plate. I do not have a private plate. But if i did the I would find your attitude insulting.

Im sure a Private Plate would work for me, Might actually be able to remember my registration! Lol!

Mine has gone - well, the only one I would have had and checked out some years ago. Living in the ACT(my initials) it was pretty much a foregone conclusion though

Guest Guest31881
Mine has gone - well, the only one I would have had and checked out some years ago. Living in the ACT(my initials) it was pretty much a foregone conclusion though

I changed my name to FRJ 593 have no problems with my new personalised plate now:wink:

Archived