Recommend me a dongle :)

lsbc1976

Guest guest36762

I recently bought a telstra dongle cos we were moving house and on hols in Tassie

it was expensive ($79 for 2G data) but gee we could get coverage EVERYWHERE.

Guest guest36762
cheers, looking for a uk buy which will do in oz to start with :)

I'm sure if they'd work in oz, personally I'd wait, you can be online same day

I'm sure if they'd work in oz, personally I'd wait, you can be online same day

The dongle itself would work and could be charged with any providers broadband, however the providers (Telsra, Optus and Vodafone) all do discount packages if you don't have one - which are often cheaper....

HTH

Cx

We are in Sydney and have just brought a Optus "Yes" dongle. It cost us $125 and for that we got 8GB, that lasts 6 months. It can be used either via wi-fi or plugged in via the USB. We found via the USB was better as some sites like this on and yahoo would not open on wi-fi. We have found that in the few days we have had it, there has been no signal issues and that the service has been good. We are in North Sydney, so not sure what it would be like if we moved out further.

I would buy one from Australia. The one I got is from optus, $79, 4GB download and lasts for 3 months. Have to say was very happy with it. They also have one for $49 with 1GB download.

Optus Pre-paid Mobile DSL

Also, you need to check if the 3G coverage in the area you'll be staying is good for the chosen provider.

Cheers

B!k3R

I bought one of these also. Happy enough other than Optus removing the remaining credit after 1 month.....donkeys.

I bought one of these also. Happy enough other than Optus removing the remaining credit after 1 month.....donkeys.

Which one was it, 1GB or 4GB? Did you use all the download limit or?

Mine is still going after a month, but I have 3GB left....

Cheers

B!K3R

Which one was it, 1GB or 4GB? Did you use all the download limit or?

Mine is still going after a month, but I have 3GB left....

Cheers

B!K3R

Sorry to digress - it was a 3month 4GB job. On the month I got a email saying 'you haven't recharged so schucks to you mate!' and it stopped working. A phone call reinstated the remainder (3.6GB) for 6 months. But I forgot to ask about the free SMSs and Facebook (which I don't use TBH). If you have passed your 1 month anniversary then it isn't a problem for you.

Cheers. Hope all is well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shusselmann

We got a Vodafone dongle when we first arrived and got frustrated with it and their service, it always seemed slower than specified and we couldn't top it up online with an international credit card so had to keep going to a Vodafone store.

Happy Virgin dongle user here, it has had good enough coverage for anywhere that we have wanted to be other than the bush where DS2 lives and nothing works there so I didnt expect coverage.

I would avoid Vodafone given the mess they are in at the moment with legal action and all.

Guest The Joker

Actually - not sure if all UK dongles WILL work down here. There are two bands that mobile data use and I believe that areas of Australia are compatible with the UK but not all. Suffice to say, dongles acquired down here will work on both bands.

Archived