Can anyone help me with school start dates please?

Harpersgirl

Hey guys

I'm trying to work out what year my boy will enter into when we make the move to Perth sometime in May and am hoping someone can confirm for me.

Zac was born 28/4/04 and I think that means that he will join Year 1 halfway through for the start of Term 3. Is that right?????

I'm also looking ahead for Evie (31/7/07) who I think could start Kindergarten in Feb 20012????

Am I right in thinking that rather than a Year starting in September as in the UK, Australia starts its school year in Feb?

Ooooooh its all a mind boggle :wacko:

Angie

Hey guys

I'm trying to work out what year my boy will enter into when we make the move to Perth sometime in May and am hoping someone can confirm for me.

Zac was born 28/4/04 and I think that means that he will join Year 1 halfway through for the start of Term 3. Is that right?????

I'm also looking ahead for Evie (31/7/07) who I think could start Kindergarten in Feb 20012????

Am I right in thinking that rather than a Year starting in September as in the UK, Australia starts its school year in Feb?

Angie

Hi have a look here,

The Department of Education - Schools and You - Schooling

there's a calculator half way down were you put your childs D.O.B and it will tell you the school years

Regards

Hey guys

Angie

If you arrive in May, term 3 isnt going to start until the end of July - he can start any time, doesnt have to be the beginning of a term, in fact it doesnt even have to be the beginning of a week. Department of Education - School Term Dates

Yes the academic year goes from Feb - Dec

Hi

I am jumping the gun a little as my visa is still in progress but if we were to move to Australia (not sure which state yet) in July this year, which year would my two girls be in?

My eledest was born Jan 98 and is currently 2nd year High school

My youngest was born Jun 99 and is currently in Primary 7 Primary school.Would they have to do half a year in the same class and wait until the schools go up a class in February?

Thanks

Hi

I am jumping the gun a little as my visa is still in progress but if we were to move to Australia (not sure which state yet) in July this year, which year would my two girls be in?

My youngest was born Jun 99 and is currently in Primary 7 Primary school.Would they have to do half a year in the same class and wait until the schools go up a class in February?

Thanks

Your eldest is the same age as my daughter and she starts year 8 in a couple of weeks (first year of high school here). Your youngest will enter year 7 when you arrive.

Your eldest is the same age as my daughter and she starts year 8 in a couple of weeks (first year of high school here). Your youngest will enter year 7 when you arrive.

"Your eldest is the same age as my daughter and she starts year 8 in a couple of weeks (first year of high school here)."

My daughter will be finishing 2nd year in 5 months time, surely she would not be expected to go back into 1st year. She is one of the youngest in her year but there would be no way that she could go back so far..would it be possible for her to do another half year in 2nd year?

Thanks for your reply

If you put "Australian Education System" into wikiapedia, there is a a chart stating what age children start school in the different areas and also has a comprehensive list of all the schools in Oz.

Suzanne

Thanks livethedream, I have had a look, I think the girls will have to do 6 months of their year again (that will please them!!!) :biglaugh:

Thanks again for your reply

Hi

Thanks

It really depends on the state Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The June birthday may cause some differences as in some states the cut off date is April.

Whatever you do, dont talk about "repeating" "Going back" or "same class" etc, it is a foreign system with totally different requirements and all they will be doing is joining their age cohort.

The academic year goes from February to December so they will be in whichever year they enrol in for the rest of this year.

It really depends on the state Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The June birthday may cause some differences as in some states the cut off date is April.

Whatever you do, dont talk about "repeating" "Going back" or "same class" etc, it is a foreign system with totally different requirements and all they will be doing is joining their age cohort.

The academic year goes from February to December so they will be in whichever year they enrol in for the rest of this year.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. I didn't mean that I think that we will be going backwards moving to Oz, I was just trying to figure out whether moving in July would be a good option. Sorry if I caused offence..:wubclub:

I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all. I didn't mean that I think that we will be going backwards moving to Oz, I was just trying to figure out whether moving in July would be a good option. Sorry if I caused offence..:wubclub:

No offence taken - moving in July is fine, you can move at any time (even in mid week mid term if you like!) - my point was more about the way it is represented to the kids. They can get upset thinking they are in year 5 (or whatever) but then "going back" or "repeating" year 4 whereas they just need to understand that all countries are different and the year names mean very little as long as they are with their age cohort.

In point of fact, they are likely to find that they are way ahead of their age cohort in many things! So they may well be going backwards educationally.

It really wont matter when you arrive and enrol them!

"Your eldest is the same age as my daughter and she starts year 8 in a couple of weeks (first year of high school here)."

My daughter will be finishing 2nd year in 5 months time, surely she would not be expected to go back into 1st year. She is one of the youngest in her year but there would be no way that she could go back so far..would it be possible for her to do another half year in 2nd year?

Thanks for your reply

I doubt it very much. WA Education are not that flexible. As Quoll says don't think of it as her going back. She will be with kids her own age so that is all that matters. Say you did put her a year ahead, she would be having to leave school a year younger than everyone else which in turn could cause an issue for University. It is a completely different system here so try and roll with it as best you can.

Hi, when we arrived my eldest has already done 3 months in year 7 at high school in the UK, moving to Perth year 7 was the last year of Primary. As Quoll said, we made sure we didn't use the words going back etc., but explained that it was a different system etc. We also arrived in January so that our eldest in particular could get a full year in to make friends, establish herself etc. She's now going into year 11 and often says that she's glad that she had this year before moving onto high school here, it gave her an idea of the curriculum, teaching methods etc., She didn't see it as 'repeating' year 7 ... because she'd never completed year 7 in the UK.

I was going to wait until July thinking I would let them finish off their year but really that is not going to make any difference to them so all going well I could leave sooner as my rental house is up in May. This is really good news !!. Can I ask how your kids have settled in to school, my girls are scared they get picked on because of their accent etc..

I was going to wait until July thinking I would let them finish off their year but really that is not going to make any difference to them so all going well I could leave sooner as my rental house is up in May. This is really good news !!. Can I ask how your kids have settled in to school, my girls are scared they get picked on because of their accent etc..

No problems with my kids, they settled in just fine.

Hi

Does kindergarten come under state schooling or is there charges like long day care?

Carl

Kindergarten is state school but is not compulsory therefore you are not guaranteed a place in your nearest school. You make an application at the school of your choice and places are then allocated according to:

a) catchment with siblings

b) catchment

c) out of catchment with siblings

d) out of catchment

Kindy is usually 2 days per week or 4 half days. You should pay school voluntary contributions and a contribution towards stationary for the classroom, mine was $45 for voluntary contribution and $30 towards stationary.

Guest carlj3108

Ah right.....thank you

So do all schools offer kindergarten places?

I would guess most parents who get places in kindy still use fee paying nurseries as well then (if in full time employment).?

So is pre-primary full-time school ?

Ah right.....thank you

So do all schools offer kindergarten places?

I would guess most parents who get places in kindy still use fee paying nurseries as well then (if in full time employment).?

So is pre-primary full-time school ?

The majority of state schools will have a Kindy program. If you are working full time then yes you would have to use daycare facilities.

Pre-primary is full time but again not compulsory so same rules of enrolment apply.

Guest carlj3108
The majority of state schools will have a Kindy program. If you are working full time then yes you would have to use daycare facilities.

Pre-primary is full time but again not compulsory so same rules of enrolment apply.

thanks again..

just trying to work out how many more yrs I'll still be paying for nurseries:confused:

Is it usual to take up a Kindy or Preschool place?

I'm at home with my 3 year old although she goes to play school 3 mornings a week so that would still be an option if I understand correctly? She was due to start full time education in the UK this September :sad:

Tbh the later school starting age is one of the many reasons I like the way Aussie way of life. Personally I feel that kids go to school far too early in the UK....

Is it usual to take up a Kindy or Preschool place?

I'm at home with my 3 year old although she goes to play school 3 mornings a week so that would still be an option if I understand correctly? She was due to start full time education in the UK this September :sad:

Tbh the later school starting age is one of the many reasons I like the way Aussie way of life. Personally I feel that kids go to school far too early in the UK....

Some people don't bother with Kindy but personally I think missing it would be a huge mistake. Although I agree kids start school way too early in the UK, Kindy is a good stepping stone (well it was at my school) to full time schooling and lots of friendships start in Kindy.

Archived