The Australian Dream

Guest guest37336

Its not exactly "self" build tho mate a lot of the time is it? im just saying to factor in the cost of subbies tbh,probs still cheaper tho
not really mate , but it nice playing the boss:wink: keeping those brickies on the toes ,to be honest its a nightmare building your own home ,never goes to plan ,and if you f up along the way it ends up costing a fortune in the long run ,but one think i have learned is never go for the cheapest price when it comes to the foundations,brickwork and the roof and stay away from cowboys:wink:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not really mate , but it nice playing the boss:wink: keeping those brickies on the toes ,to be honest its a nightmare building your own home ,never goes to plan ,and if you f up along the way it ends up costing a fortune in the long run ,but one think i have learned is never go for the cheapest price when it comes to the foundations,brickwork and the roof and stay away from cowboys:wink:

I'l just put a price in under a pseudonym then sharkey:cute::wink:

As usual Tony another great topic that's got me thinking.

I'd like to think that I didn't have any great expectations prior to moving here. I have family here & had been here three times previously. But, as everyone says, there's a big difference between a holiday (even a reccie type one) & actually living here.

We came to Perth from the u.k. in September 2009. (Me, my husband, 2 kids & ma-in-law).

In the 2 years leading up to this, we had hoped (not unrealistically) to be able to sell our home in

the u.k. & buy one outright here. (No mortgage)

Well, we all know what happened to the exchange rate, hence we now have a mortgage.

So that was the first delusion thwarted.

And I seem to remember that having a swimming pool was an absolute must. Non negotiable.

Err...no...wrong!

We ended up buying a house without a pool, but with room to put one in (should we ever be able to afford one). Houses with pools are generally more expensive. Also, we loved the house we bought enough to forgo a pool. So, that was the second delusion.

The third delusion was buying a property near the beach. Have you seen the prices of houses near the beach?! This option was not practical, either...especially regarding schooling & being close to family.

So now, with those delusions thwarted, we are back down to planet reality.

The outcome for us? A 1967 solid, double brick, spacious 4 x 2. It was far & away the best house we'd seen for the money. The layout is slightly quirky (but I like quirky!) The garden is sizeable, tropical, beautiful & well established. The previous owner built a double garage, double car port, with electronic doors. We even have bore reticulation.

We live across the road from the school. 5 min walk to railway station & local shops.

So, the moral of the story for us (& it could apply to other people) is:

Even if you've been here a few times before...It is not the same as living here.

No-one could have predicted the decline in the pound. We were disappointed to get an exchange

rate of 1.82. We were holding out for the mythical 2.00. Look at it now!

Lower your expectations. (unless you are rich) you will probably need to compromise.

We would have loved a pool, but you live in a house, not a pool. And it's something we can aspire to.

Well built older properties are not built to fall down within 50 years. That's a myth.

You may need to add to your mortgage to allow for the cost of setting up home.

I'm still surprised that we needed to do this, being very budget conscious. But we did.

Don't forget, location. What we did won't be for everyone, but it's sure made our lives much more practical & so much easier.

The other thing to say is that the one dream we did hold on to, was to work part time. We both work part-time, so have a good work/life balance.

I hope this answers your question, Tony.

Cheers,

Erica

Guest sh7t man no way

me mate bought an acerage,and built his own house (it took 2 years) had heaps of issues with the local council but got there in the end--it just did it a bit at a time when funds became availble--meanwhile he just rented (dead money but with building your own home,a blessing i feel) he had money in the uk,and worked the dollar to the pound to get maximum return--building your own house in aus is a game of patience,and if you play it right a dream come true:wubclub:

Guest siamsusie

I can only speak with regards to our rumpus room, I found the Shire exceptionally helpful and pleasant to deal with... Planning department also, with all inspections carried out methodically and on time..

I was very surprised.

The 'home' part of the move has bugger all to do with it for us. We'll be leaving our lovely four bedroom edwardian terrace for a one or two bed unit. But we'll be in Sydney's eastern suburbs close to the city and beach.

Eventually we'll move further out and get somewhere bigger when it is needed but for now I'm happy to 'downgrade'.

Guest guest33730
I can only speak with regards to our rumpus room, I found the Shire exceptionally helpful and pleasant to deal with... Planning department also, with all inspections carried out methodically and on time..

I was very surprised.

Mmmmmmmmmm susie's rumpus room Mmmmmmmmmmm

Daniel

Guest guest37336

My thread, so.............

I had an Australian Dream last night.:embarrassed::eek:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

sing-winston.jpg

I liked the look of this one mate, it was $152,000 i know you buy the land, but that means you could have a fabulous new house for about $400,000. Amazing.

sing-winston.jpg

I liked the look of this one mate, it was $152,000 i know you buy the land, but that means you could have a fabulous new house for about $400,000. Amazing.

Something im debating doing jim tbh,the plots ive seen on REALESTATE.COM.AU overlooking victor harbor and the southern ocean are from $100k for a decent sized plot.

Dont know if i will or not because i seem to have spent my whole life gutting and refurbishing houses,dont know if i cba again :wideeyed:

Archived