The Australian Dream

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Been watching a few programmes about Australia , WDU, Phil, etc, and to an extent the programme seems to concentrate on the house that may or not be available to 'clients'. Of course dependant on price, locality, amenities , etc. And while I wholly agree that to have a nice house is all well and good, and if you can afford one then fair play, BUT.

Do these programmes to some extent concentrate on the more 'peripheral' aspects of the migration process. This is a VERY PERSONAL point of view, and I don't expect anyone else to agree or disagree to an extent, so with that said.

If our expectations are too high about what we can and cannot afford does this immediately put you on the back foot before arrival and in someway we may become a little disillusioned with our now higher than ideal ideas of what we may be able to afford.

After all, you can only sleep in one bedroom at a time, live in one living room, use one kitchen etc, do we really need a bigger house to ensure future happiness. I realise that those with children may have their options a little limited if the houses are too small, and I also realise that it is nice to have a spare bedroom or two, maybe a pool, en-suite etc, but is this sort of dream really putting too much pressure on ourselves before we have even settled in OZ.

As I said, I have NOTHING against anyone that chooses this path, work hard, you fully deserve the 'wealth' it brings you and in so doing why the hell not get a large house with a pool etc, bloody good luck to you. But, maybe, just maybe if we lowered our expectations a little more maybe it would lead to a more settled mindset is all.

Again, very personally I and the good lady would be happy in a very modest one or two bedroom unit, flat, cabin, etc. I have even lived in a static caravan for several months, and if you didn't know better we could have been in any suburb, one and a bit bedrooms:goofy:, small kitchen (very) one loo and one shower/bath, and about five metres of grass outside. And I would have to say, the camaraderie and community spirit was better than any I had ever experienced in Australia when I was living in a 'proper' house.

I realise that prices of even the smallest abodes in Australia have gone up, but if we ever so slightly drop our expectations a bit I reckon that whilst we 'may' be living in what some may call a shoe box, we may well be the happier for it.

Just my opinion is all, I have no axe to grind with those that afford the bigger houses, my only intention of this thread is to maybe say that at times we may need a shot of reality and realise that just because it is smaller, doesn't mean it is any less of a home.

The examples I have shown would suit me down to the ground, and I realise that they are not for everyone, but one in particular looks fantastic, now if I can get it erected with a view of the ocean I would be a very happy bunny.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30085

A mud hut will do me . . . . . . so long as its in Oz:yes:

You can get some very nice ones which include an en-suite (hole in the ground), running water (local stream) and sliding roof (when the wind blows it off) :biggrin:

I dont believe that the 'dream' is to own a big house. Well it isnt to me. Mine dream is to experience something different. Honestly I couldnt care less, so long as the house (Im no longer talking mud huts) is structurally sound - I will improve it myself rather than pay way over the odds for someones else's taste.

:yes: A shed would do us fine with maybe separate rooms for the kiddie winks :wubclub:As long as i had a veggie growing space and land for the kids and dogs to roam , would be fine :chatterbox:got to have a loo though :swoon:no leaves for me lol

If it was just me and hubby :biglaugh: give us a waterproof cover and a few supplies and fishing rods and we would be fine :yes:

Yes Tony, you are right in some ways, there are some good areas if you go a little way out of the main cities, I don't work in the city, so don't need to be near it to do the train/bus commute, so live in the outer east, but it might not suit others. I don't live in a big house, but was talking to someone at work yesterday who's daughter has just build a 42square home in sth east Melbourne. Not for me though, but each to their own

Guest guest37336
A mud hut will do me . . . . . . so long as its in Oz:yes:

You can get some very nice ones which include an en-suite (hole in the ground), running water (local stream) and sliding roof (when the wind blows it off) :biggrin:

Honestly I couldnt care less, so long as the house (Im no longer talking mud huts) is structurally sound - I will improve it myself rather than pay way over the odds for someones else's taste.

It's very surprising now Gill how many self erect, (stop it :mad:) wooden/metal cabins are available now. They are manufactured to very high standards, and have one/two even three bedrooms, at times with en suite. I was looking at a website recently where a two bed roomed, (one en-suite) largish living room, diner/kitchen and two loos was available for $95,000, erected by trained personal with a lifetime guarantee.

OK, this was in Darwin, but I love Darwin so no problem, but I bet they are in several sates as well.

Guest guest37336
I like the kit homes Tony,like you im not into the fancy macmashions,lol, we are planning to sell ,buy some land and build this one - Country Home

Cal x

Bloody hell Cal, do you mind if I nick that website and bookmark it. They look wonderful. I'm getting very spoilt for choice now. Just got to decide which state.:laugh:

'Have home will travel'.:wink:

Cheer Tony.

Guest guest30085
I like the kit homes Tony,like you im not into the fancy macmashions,lol, we are planning to sell ,buy some land and build this one - Country Home

Cal x

Wow, thats more like it!

Ive seen something similar here but dont remember them being affordable. Usually the kind of kit houses we are shown over here on 'lifestyle' programs are Huf Haus (I think they are called) by a German Design/Build Company and they are not usually available to the normal working Joe . These are fab Cal :jiggy:

http://www.huf-haus.com/en/lokal/london.html

Bloody hell Cal, do you mind if I nick that website and bookmark it. They look wonderful. I'm getting very spoilt for choice now. Just got to decide which state.:laugh:

'Have home will travel'.:wink:

Cheer Tony.

I have also been looking at Kit homes to build on a block down by the beach. They are great as long as you are allowed by the Council to build it in certain areas. I am currently checking this for myself. They are a great way to go in housing that's for sure.

I had a look at these the other day:

Home Builders, Kit Homes, Kit, Transportable, Relocatable, Prebuilt, Prefabricated, Prefab, Modular Building

Guest guest37336
Wow, thats more like it!

Ive seen something similar here but dont remember them being affordable. Usually the kind of kit houses we are shown over here on 'lifestyle' programs are Huf Haus (I think they are called) by a German Design/Build Company and they are not usually available to the normal working Joe . These are fab Cal :jiggy:

HUF HAUS :: London

You had to do it didn't you Gill. You know who will be along soon.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You have to remember on the prices given Kitchens, bathrooms etc are not included but they are still great value money.

The only issue i have with shed homes is that quite a few ive seen still 'look like a shed',lol, but the one i showed you is done in the right colours with the right size windows etc and we think looks fab.

Also the added bonus is its majority steel so the termites won't like it,lol.

Cal x

Guest guest30085
You had to do it didn't you Gill. You know who will be along soon.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

:wideeyed::shocked::biglaugh:

Guest guest30038

We built ours Tony, to accomodate the large family that we had at the time (7 of us).

Jake took the smallest bedroom and despite him now being 6ft, he's still in a single bed in that small room. We'd like to downsize and realise some capital, but, being autistic, he is used to things being "constant". Even the idea of a change of location or routine does his head in. Perhaps when he's older he may contemplate a move, but atm we're stuck with a house that takes heaps of cleaning, and a pool, that when you work out the cost of maintenance, must stand us at 50 bucks a dip :rolleyes:

kev

Guest guest37336
We built ours Tony, to accomodate the large family that we had at the time (7 of us).

Jake took the smallest bedroom and despite him now being 6ft, he's still in a single bed in that small room. We'd like to downsize and realise some capital, but, being autistic, he is used to things being "constant". Even the idea of a change of location or routine does his head in. Perhaps when he's older he may contemplate a move, but atm we're stuck with a house that takes heaps of cleaning, and a pool, that when you work out the cost of maintenance, must stand us at 50 bucks a dip :rolleyes:

kev

I can understand perfectly what you're saying Kev, not as easy as just uprooting for some.

But $50 a dip,:eek::shocked: bloody hell, does the Hoff know about this. I think he has visions of an Olympic size pool to take his magnificent hairy arsed bulk.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

The kit homes seem nice and reasonably cheap,IF your building it "yourself",has anyone worked out how much it would cost to get a team together and contruct one tho?as wouldnt that be the way most would go?

Also would you have to add on piling or footing costs,or services?because thats were a lot of the money goes on housebuilding,in the ground.

Ive seen offplan drawings for decent brick built houses in oz for $100k,not 100% if services are included in these either tbh,but im just saying i'd be VERY carefull buying a kithouse,especially if your not in the building trade

Guest guest37336

Good points mate.

And maybe I am being a bit naive again, (ref costs) but the one on the far right in my OP does it for me Pablo. Like a mini Queenslander, :wacko:.

I know a lot of the 'kit' homes don't include services, etc, but I would be willing to live in a one/two bedrooms place just to get back out there again.

And, what do you mean mate, how much to build. I thought that was fairly obvious from the start Pabs. You and Andy doing the main construction, Geoff going to and from the builders merchants, Bob does all the wiring, Susie can do her special seafood buffet for 'smoko'. I will of course be doing all the labouring, the least I can do. And last but not least, the Hoff, sitting with his speedos on reading the plans and cracking the whip, job done my friend.:yes::idea:

The kit homes seem nice and reasonably cheap,IF your building it "yourself",has anyone worked out how much it would cost to get a team together and contruct one tho?as wouldnt that be the way most would go?

Also would you have to add on piling or footing costs,or services?because thats were a lot of the money goes on housebuilding,in the ground.

Ive seen offplan drawings for decent brick built houses in oz for $100k,not 100% if services are included in these either tbh,but im just saying i'd be VERY carefull buying a kithouse,especially if your not in the building trade

self build is the way to go , save a fortune

Good points mate.

And maybe I am being a bit naive again, (ref costs) but the one on the far right in my OP does it for me Pablo. Like a mini Queenslander, :wacko:.

I know a lot of the 'kit' homes don't include services, etc, but I would be willing to live in a one/two bedrooms place just to get back out there again.

And, what do you mean mate, how much to build. I thought that was fairly obvious from the start Pabs. You and Andy doing the main construction, Geoff going to and from the builders merchants, Bob does all the wiring, Susie can do her special seafood buffet for 'smoko'. I will of course be doing all the labouring, the least I can do. And last but not least, the Hoff, sitting with his speedos on reading the plans and cracking the whip, job done my friend.:yes::idea:

Sack the seafood mate,i want lamb or Tbone,seafoods for the tarts(girls soz:wubclub:)to fight over:tongue:

Nah not andy mate,ive seen his brickwork,its like one of those climbing walls in leisure centres,hang yer coat on it:cute:

I was thinking of al for the wiring,and jim for the labouring,get jim actually grafting on the brickies,but tbh i doubt jim could keep a donkey going in strawberries let alone a bricky with brick,if a big dingo ran at me i'd have f... all to throw at it:cute:

Your down for being the project planner/making snap decisions:wideeyed:,dont worry theres no time limit/penalty clause on a finish date:laugh::wubclub:

Guest guest37336
Sack the seafood mate,i want lamb or Tbone,seafoods for the tarts(girls soz:wubclub:)to fight over:tongue:

Nah not andy mate,ive seen his brickwork,its like one of those climbing walls in leisure centres,hang yer coat on it:cute:

I was thinking of al for the wiring,and jim for the labouring,get jim actually grafting on the brickies,but tbh i doubt jim could keep a donkey going in strawberries let alone a bricky with brick,if a big dingo ran at me i'd have f... all to throw at it:cute:

Your down for being the project planner/making snap decisions:wideeyed:,dont worry theres no time limit/penalty clause on a finish date:laugh::wubclub:

I don't know about the girls fighting over the seafood mate, I may have my hands full with this big bugger.:shocked:

And 'time limit/penalty', it's a work ethic Pablo that I live my life by, and in so doing have I told you how fecked up my life is at times.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:biglaugh:

I don't know about the girls fighting over the seafood mate, I may have my hands full with this big bugger.:shocked:

And 'time limit/penalty', it's a work ethic Pablo that I live my life by, and in so doing have I told you how fecked up my life is at times.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:biglaugh:

Just as long as the "snap" decisions dont take as long as some of yer threadstarters tone:daydreaming:

Only joshing mush,yer know that:wubclub:,the more i think of it the more the idea of jim labouring on me appeals!:army-mad::laugh:

Guest guest37336
Just as long as the "snap" decisions dont take as long as some of yer threadstarters tone:daydreaming:

Only joshing mush,yer know that:wubclub:,the more i think of it the more the idea of jim labouring on me appeals!:army-mad::laugh:

Last time I made a snap decison mate, I lived to regret it for several years, however, we are friends now.:embarrassed:

Don't forget if Jimbo is site foreman/labourer if we cross words with him he will press the 'ignore' button and blank us. Could be a loooonnnnngggggggg building project mate.:biglaugh::wubclub:

Archived