Five reasons why Tasmania is awesome!

Guest bikerlinz

Guest siamsusie
I think Tasmania is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I did 'move' there in 1998 however only lasted 3 weeks as the friend I moved with started going out with my brother and wanted to go home, and she drove me mad - wish I had stayed on on my own as I thought Hobart was stunning. Must get back down there for a visit - just not Davenport - kind of got barred from the whole town :laugh:- oops!!

ps my mum swears Tassie is colder than scotland!!! I think she has been in Australia too long - under 20deg is now 'freezing' for her!!

Having lived in Scotland Kylie, I can assure you Tassie is like the Med for me:biggrin:.

I have never been so bitter in my life, well Holland is cold also those north winds can bite you.

It is a beautiful state, every one of our visitors fall in love with the place.

Next time I am in Devonport I will look for all the evidence of your presence Kylie:yes::biglaugh:

Guest smileykylie

fortunately it should be looooooong gone and I am a very good girl now I promise :wubclub:

Seriously though after reading some of the threads here I really need to get out and do some travelling in australia as I have seen far less than many migrants - but probably more of Europe than many Europeans - seems to work that way!

Tassie is brilliant, went 5 years ago for a month, Tassie is the easiest place to explore if you are travelling with a pack on your back, fantastic walks and cycle rides,

I stayed at Burnie Holiday Caravan Park it is situated opposite a sandy beach near Burnie :notworthy:

the hot weather is not its all cracked up to be susie--ive heard in winter in tassie it dosnt get lower than 6 degrees--my mates in qld suffer from the humidity (there oldies)

Well, a bit lower than 6 degrees. Hobart can get down to zero at night in winter and Launceston minus 1 or 2, and further inland or on the mountains considerably colder than that. For example we can get -15 (with the wind chill factor) at the top of the mountain behind Hobart. But no one lives in the really cold places and most of the population lives by the sea, which moderates the temperatures.

I'd agree about the humidity. We originally moved to Tasmania because my English mother couldn't stand the humidity in northern New South Wales - and that wasn't even Queensland - despite trying to acclimatise for 8 years. She loved Tassie. Even my Australian born Dad was finding the humidity hard to take after spending a few (war) years in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree with you, Lindsay. I first came here 5 years ago and fell in love with both Tasmania and my husband then and there. I've been living here for just over 2 years now with my husband who is Tasmanian; he loves it here too. :wubclub:

Kmthor, it very much depends on what you do for a living and what sort of skills you have as to how successful you will be when it comes to looking for work. There is quite a bit of work around in Tas but very little in my particular field. Looking back, had I known then what I know now, I would have taken a good look at the job market and done my research before I moved. That way I could have got the training I needed at a rate that I could afford before I left the UK.* I am nonetheless very happy here. :smile:

*Please note. Cost of additional training, RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) or re-training is unlikely to be an issue for anyone with PR or who is already an Australian citizen but it certainly is for those on provisional versions of the spouse and partner visas who are presently charged at the overseas rate.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SunshineSmile

Hi all,

Just wanted to keep this thread alive for new comers looking for info on Tassie and also because I want to add my own experiences when we arrive!

On the count down now, will be arriving in Hobart on March 1st :biggrin:

Major excitement in the camp :jiggy:

Steph

Guest SunshineSmile
Great idea Steph, and we also have Kellyjamie hopefully about to join us in Launceston also.....

:hug:Susie

Isnt it fab?! (The Tassie secret is out) :wubclub:

Tasmania is an awesome place to live. We moved here a little over a year ago and LOVE it! To dispel a few myths, here is some stuff that you would love too:

1. THE WEATHER - contrary to popular myth, Tasmania has beautiful weather. It is on the same latitude south as Madrid is north. We have more sunshine than Melbourne and Hobart is the second driest state capital in Australia. Yes, it would feel cold if you came from Darwin, but coming from the UK it is heavenly. We have four seasons same as the UK, but much more sunshine and we are protected (by the sea) from the temperature extremes you see either in the UK or on the Oz mainland. Winter is where you REALLY notice the difference. Max daytime temperatures in the winter are actually WARMER than Madrid. In the middle of winter 2010 I was sat outside a restaurant by the Derwent with my daughter having lunch in a t-shirt and watching a school of dolphins swim past. Unbelievable!

2. THE LIFESTYLE - we live in open country, but I work in Hobart CBD. The journey takes 20 minutes, 25 if there's 'traffic' (i.e. 30 other cars). I struggle to think where else this would be possible. Certainly not Sydney or Melbourne. Hobartians don't know how lucky they are. Having spent much of my time commuting into either London or Oxford, we don't have real traffic in Hobart!

3. THE PLACE - is epic! Lonely Planet put the east coast of Tassie as its No. 1 place in the world to visit in 2009, and with good reason. White talc sandy beaches and clean blue water. And only 1-2h drive from Hobart. But the beaches are everywhere and empty. We went down to Dodges Ferry about a week ago with friends from the mainland. Their comment (on walking onto a beautiful white beach with clear blue sea that had about 5 people on it) was 'we love Tasmania!'. And don't get me started on Cradle Mountain national park!

4. THE PEOPLE - are fab. We have made some really good friends since moving here, and the sense of community is something that I remember from growing up in the UK 40 years ago. When we arrived there was a neighbourhood barbie organised to welcome us and so that everyone could introduce themselves.

5. THE COFFEE - if you love coffee you'll love Hobart. Tasmanians are infamous for not allowing large franchises to take hold (except McDonald's and KFC) and Starbuck's lasted about 3 months. Instead we have Oomph (which is Tasmanian and far better) and lots of small cafes with really good local coffee.

This should get you started. We love it here, it is a perfect place to raise a child, or to simply enjoy life in a beautiful place that is not polluted and overcrowded.

Hope to see you all here soon,

Lindsay.

There's probably more than just five reasons but nice post anyway.

TASMANIA OR BUST !

I'm going to spend 5 weeks in Australia and new zealand between july and august. First, I thought about seeing western Australia. I've already been to the east coast and the red center, and I thought that the weather might be too harsh in winter for Tasmania. But your enthusiasm is contagious:biggrin:

Cheers,

Cédric

• 1 month later...
Guest coxsp
Completely agree with you, Lindsay. I first came here 5 years ago and fell in love with both Tasmania and my husband then and there. I've been living here for just over 2 years now with my husband who is Tasmanian; he loves it here too. :wubclub:

Kmthor, it very much depends on what you do for a living and what sort of skills you have as to how successful you will be when it comes to looking for work. There is quite a bit of work around in Tas but very little in my particular field. Looking back, had I known then what I know now, I would have taken a good look at the job market and done my research before I moved. That way I could have got the training I needed at a rate that I could afford before I left the UK.* I am nonetheless very happy here. :smile:

*Please note. Cost of additional training, RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) or re-training is unlikely to be an issue for anyone with PR or who is already an Australian citizen but it certainly is for those on provisional versions of the spouse and partner visas who are presently charged at the overseas rate.

Hi Happy Lass, wondering if you can shed some light regarding your "looking for work" experience? I'm due to head over to Tasmania at the end of the year and I don't think I'll find employment equivalent to what I current do in London (Oil trading). I've been looking at a few employment websites and checking the The Mercury. Just wondered if you might have some advice on the approach you took to resolve this problem.

Thanks Shannon

Hi Shannon,

You are better off contacting companies directly over here. Job sites will help you to find out what sort of work is available but they're not a reliable means of securing work.

If you want to try RPL, you may want to get in touch with the Skills Institute here in Hobart - at the very least they are a good way of finding out more about the kind of work that is available here. I found them to be very helpful as are UTAS.

I have seen less than a handful of positions come up that would be a close match for me, which doesn't bode well in terms of a career so I'll be retraining altogether as soon as my PR comes through. Probably with a combination of study at Open University Australia and at UTAS. If you become sure that you will need to retrain before you arrive, you may want to consider starting with the Open University in the UK. They were spot on with their advice for me and I do wish that I had continued on with them.

Good luck. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest claireandmark
Tasmania is an awesome place to live. We moved here a little over a year ago and LOVE it! To dispel a few myths, here is some stuff that you would love too:

1. THE WEATHER - contrary to popular myth, Tasmania has beautiful weather. It is on the same latitude south as Madrid is north. We have more sunshine than Melbourne and Hobart is the second driest state capital in Australia. Yes, it would feel cold if you came from Darwin, but coming from the UK it is heavenly. We have four seasons same as the UK, but much more sunshine and we are protected (by the sea) from the temperature extremes you see either in the UK or on the Oz mainland. Winter is where you REALLY notice the difference. Max daytime temperatures in the winter are actually WARMER than Madrid. In the middle of winter 2010 I was sat outside a restaurant by the Derwent with my daughter having lunch in a t-shirt and watching a school of dolphins swim past. Unbelievable!

2. THE LIFESTYLE - we live in open country, but I work in Hobart CBD. The journey takes 20 minutes, 25 if there's 'traffic' (i.e. 30 other cars). I struggle to think where else this would be possible. Certainly not Sydney or Melbourne. Hobartians don't know how lucky they are. Having spent much of my time commuting into either London or Oxford, we don't have real traffic in Hobart!

3. THE PLACE - is epic! Lonely Planet put the east coast of Tassie as its No. 1 place in the world to visit in 2009, and with good reason. White talc sandy beaches and clean blue water. And only 1-2h drive from Hobart. But the beaches are everywhere and empty. We went down to Dodges Ferry about a week ago with friends from the mainland. Their comment (on walking onto a beautiful white beach with clear blue sea that had about 5 people on it) was 'we love Tasmania!'. And don't get me started on Cradle Mountain national park!

4. THE PEOPLE - are fab. We have made some really good friends since moving here, and the sense of community is something that I remember from growing up in the UK 40 years ago. When we arrived there was a neighbourhood barbie organised to welcome us and so that everyone could introduce themselves.

5. THE COFFEE - if you love coffee you'll love Hobart. Tasmanians are infamous for not allowing large franchises to take hold (except McDonald's and KFC) and Starbuck's lasted about 3 months. Instead we have Oomph (which is Tasmanian and far better) and lots of small cafes with really good local coffee.

This should get you started. We love it here, it is a perfect place to raise a child, or to simply enjoy life in a beautiful place that is not polluted and overcrowded.

Hope to see you all here soon,

Lindsay.

If you like coffee lindsay theres a great coffe shop on Elizabeth st called Island and theres a new opening on Collins st next to Zumba called Yellow Bernard, they have invested $30k on the coffee machine alone, the coffee is amazing. I highly recommend them.

Oh and Tassie rules....true story!

Mark

Archived