Five reasons why Tasmania is awesome!

Guest bikerlinz

Guest bikerlinz

Tasmania is an awesome place to live. We moved here a little over a year ago and LOVE it! To dispel a few myths, here is some stuff that you would love too:

1. THE WEATHER - contrary to popular myth, Tasmania has beautiful weather. It is on the same latitude south as Madrid is north. We have more sunshine than Melbourne and Hobart is the second driest state capital in Australia. Yes, it would feel cold if you came from Darwin, but coming from the UK it is heavenly. We have four seasons same as the UK, but much more sunshine and we are protected (by the sea) from the temperature extremes you see either in the UK or on the Oz mainland. Winter is where you REALLY notice the difference. Max daytime temperatures in the winter are actually WARMER than Madrid. In the middle of winter 2010 I was sat outside a restaurant by the Derwent with my daughter having lunch in a t-shirt and watching a school of dolphins swim past. Unbelievable!

2. THE LIFESTYLE - we live in open country, but I work in Hobart CBD. The journey takes 20 minutes, 25 if there's 'traffic' (i.e. 30 other cars). I struggle to think where else this would be possible. Certainly not Sydney or Melbourne. Hobartians don't know how lucky they are. Having spent much of my time commuting into either London or Oxford, we don't have real traffic in Hobart!

3. THE PLACE - is epic! Lonely Planet put the east coast of Tassie as its No. 1 place in the world to visit in 2009, and with good reason. White talc sandy beaches and clean blue water. And only 1-2h drive from Hobart. But the beaches are everywhere and empty. We went down to Dodges Ferry about a week ago with friends from the mainland. Their comment (on walking onto a beautiful white beach with clear blue sea that had about 5 people on it) was 'we love Tasmania!'. And don't get me started on Cradle Mountain national park!

4. THE PEOPLE - are fab. We have made some really good friends since moving here, and the sense of community is something that I remember from growing up in the UK 40 years ago. When we arrived there was a neighbourhood barbie organised to welcome us and so that everyone could introduce themselves.

5. THE COFFEE - if you love coffee you'll love Hobart. Tasmanians are infamous for not allowing large franchises to take hold (except McDonald's and KFC) and Starbuck's lasted about 3 months. Instead we have Oomph (which is Tasmanian and far better) and lots of small cafes with really good local coffee.

This should get you started. We love it here, it is a perfect place to raise a child, or to simply enjoy life in a beautiful place that is not polluted and overcrowded.

Hope to see you all here soon,

Lindsay.

Guest Guest47308

Wow Tasmania sounds like a lovely place, i have to admit i thought it would be quite dreary.... But the way you have described it is lovely. If we ever make it to Oz, we will defo stop by and give it a visit.

:smile:

Guest siamsusie
Wow Tasmania sounds like a lovely place, i have to admit i thought it would be quite dreary.... But the way you have described it is lovely. If we ever make it to Oz, we will defo stop by and give it a visit.

:smile:

Tasmania dreary:laugh: absolutely not, its the jewel of Australia seriously!

Guest siamsusie
Tasmania is an awesome place to live. We moved here a little over a year ago and LOVE it! To dispel a few myths, here is some stuff that you would love too:

1. THE WEATHER - contrary to popular myth, Tasmania has beautiful weather. It is on the same latitude south as Madrid is north. We have more sunshine than Melbourne and Hobart is the second driest state capital in Australia. Yes, it would feel cold if you came from Darwin, but coming from the UK it is heavenly. We have four seasons same as the UK, but much more sunshine and we are protected (by the sea) from the temperature extremes you see either in the UK or on the Oz mainland. Winter is where you REALLY notice the difference. Max daytime temperatures in the winter are actually WARMER than Madrid. In the middle of winter 2010 I was sat outside a restaurant by the Derwent with my daughter having lunch in a t-shirt and watching a school of dolphins swim past. Unbelievable!

2. THE LIFESTYLE - we live in open country, but I work in Hobart CBD. The journey takes 20 minutes, 25 if there's 'traffic' (i.e. 30 other cars). I struggle to think where else this would be possible. Certainly not Sydney or Melbourne. Hobartians don't know how lucky they are. Having spent much of my time commuting into either London or Oxford, we don't have real traffic in Hobart!

3. THE PLACE - is epic! Lonely Planet put the east coast of Tassie as its No. 1 place in the world to visit in 2009, and with good reason. White talc sandy beaches and clean blue water. And only 1-2h drive from Hobart. But the beaches are everywhere and empty. We went down to Dodges Ferry about a week ago with friends from the mainland. Their comment (on walking onto a beautiful white beach with clear blue sea that had about 5 people on it) was 'we love Tasmania!'. And don't get me started on Cradle Mountain national park!

4. THE PEOPLE - are fab. We have made some really good friends since moving here, and the sense of community is something that I remember from growing up in the UK 40 years ago. When we arrived there was a neighbourhood barbie organised to welcome us and so that everyone could introduce themselves.

5. THE COFFEE - if you love coffee you'll love Hobart. Tasmanians are infamous for not allowing large franchises to take hold (except McDonald's and KFC) and Starbuck's lasted about 3 months. Instead we have Oomph (which is Tasmanian and far better) and lots of small cafes with really good local coffee.

This should get you started. We love it here, it is a perfect place to raise a child, or to simply enjoy life in a beautiful place that is not polluted and overcrowded.

Lindsay.

Great post there Lindsay... my husband a Tasmanian has finally come home to this wonderful state and we are exceptionally happy here.

We are skiers and Cradle Mountain is just up the road from me so we are in seventh heaven here. Greens Beach on my door step together the National parks.. yes we have everything.

Pleased you love it as much as we do.

Susie x

Guest siamsusie
If I thought I could find decent paid work I'd be there a week tuesday.

Tassie is by far the most beutiful place Aus has to offer.

Great post and really jealouse

John x

Yes John, you are so right there, I am totally in awe of the place.

:hug: hope you both and the baby are well xx

Yes John, you are so right there, I am totally in awe of the place.

:hug: hope you both and the baby are well xx

Thanks Susie

Bonnie is so beutiful and full of life.

The weather was cold and drizzly when we were there, but it still stood head and shoulders above all else.

I'm jealous of you two

x

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie

Bonnie is so beutiful and full of life.

The weather was cold and drizzly when we were there, but it still stood head and shoulders above all else.

I'm jealous of you two

x

Bonnie is such a beautiful name, I am also thrilled for you guys, they are a special gift.

This is the view from my garden John, the River Tamar at the end of my garden, temps of 34 here today...

Susie xx

Bonnie is such a beautiful name, I am also thrilled for you guys, they are a special gift.

This is the view from my garden John, the River Tamar at the end of my garden, temps of 34 here today...

Susie xx

Your now rubbing it in:biglaugh: x

Guest guest37336

Apart from the scenery, the apples, coffee, (NO BLOODY LEMONS:jiggy:) etc, there is a certain lady out there:wubclub::notworthy: who I owe a lot to.

I have no idea if the picture included is anything like the lady in question, couldn't care less really, but classy, compassionate and caring are her main traits.

And she is a dab hand with a Durian fruit as well.:biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:notworthy::wubclub:

Guest guest37336

Sorry Susie.

I didn't mean you. I meant 'Slippery Sue from Saigon'. I had a little dalliance with her many moons ago in Bangkok, lovely 'innocent' girl she was, :eek::biglaugh:.

When I said I owe her a lot, I meant that I still haven't reimbursed her for services rendered,:err: and the Durian incident, well, it still brings tears to my eyes to this day.:shocked::arghh:.

I know she is now in Tasmania as I received a communication from a certain 'clinic', post marked Launceston, asking that I get tested as soon as possible as Slippery had been admitted to the hospital out there with a form of STD that is unknown to science.:embarrassed:

Cheers Tony.:wink::wink::notworthy::wubclub::notworthy::wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
Sorry Susie.

I didn't mean you. I meant 'Slippery Sue from Saigon'. I had a little dalliance with her many moons ago in Bangkok, lovely 'innocent' girl she was, :eek::biglaugh:.

When I said I owe her a lot, I meant that I still haven't reimbursed her for services rendered,:err: and the Durian incident, well, it still brings tears to my eyes to this day..

I know she is now in Tasmania as I received a communication from a certain 'clinic', post marked Launceston, asking that I get tested as soon as possible as Slippery had been admitted to the hospital out there with a form of STD that is unknown to science.

Cheers Tony.

:frown:Apologies are due to the OP.. this is a beautiful posting thread and the report button will be pressed pretty shortly:biggrin: for your contribution of utter degradation!

:hug:

Guest guest37336
:frown:Apologies are due to the OP.. this is a beautiful posting thread and the report button will be pressed pretty shortly:biggrin: for your contribution of utter degradation!

:hug:

Yes, apologies to OP. :wubclub:. And Susie, you have rightly shown up my shortcomings again, but in my defence Susie, 'Derogatory' posts seem to be the fashion lately on here. But you are right, I should not follow suit.:wubclub::eek::wink:

Guest guest37336

OK, in all seriousness. Tasmania is the only state in Australia I have never visited, and if truth were known I had no 'real' interest. I had many preconceived ideas about the place, rightly or wrongly. But having seen many of the pictures that posters have put up and their thoughts about Tassie, I truly can't wait, it does look truly beautiful, can't wait now.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest kmthor

the last few months i must have heard of 6 people packing up and moving to Tazy... for most people it seems that work it the problem.

Guest siamsusie
the last few months i must have heard of 6 people packing up and moving to Tazy... for most people it seems that work it the problem.

There appear to be a few more immigrants coming into Tasmania yes... I guess it depends on what occupation you hold.

I can only speak for the medical profession where employment is favourable in Tasmania, although both my husband and I FIFO to Asia, the shift pattern & salaries suit us better.

We thoroughly enjoy living here.:wubclub: Susie x

Guest siamsusie
OK, in all seriousness. Tasmania is the only state in Australia I have never visited, and if truth were known I had no 'real' interest. I had many preconceived ideas about the place, rightly or wrongly. But having seen many of the pictures that posters have put up and their thoughts about Tassie, I truly can't wait, it does look truly beautiful, can't wait now.:jiggy:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

To be honest Tony, I didnt know anything about the place until I met my husband. After 5 years in temps of 42 + on many occasions and cooling down for a few weeks only in Karratha, I wanted a more European climate which I have found here, and I had the choice of all the states in Australia.

We dont find it particularly cold in the winter, we cook outside 24/7, there is "puffing ned" to keep us warm if it does get parky!

Log fires, snow on the hills, the national parks.. one of which is across the road from me.. beaches, and the most amazing nature right here in my back garden.

Personally I dont have too much to whinge about apart from the condition of some of the roads etc... the community spirit is amazing and OH is enjoying being home after 25 years in the bush amongst family and friends.

The fishing is different here thats for sure and I miss WA for the Barra and being closer to Asia but for the rest, its a little bit of paradise.

We havent discounted Queensland in the future when we downsize, and just want to fish and sit on the balcony watching the world go by.

I am looking forward to showing you around when you are next over on this massive walk:laugh: love Susie x

Guest SunshineSmile

Lindsay.

Thank you soooo much for the informative and positive thread...

We are moving to Hobart, Tassie within the next month or so, just waiting for our 457 to be granted, book flights and away we go. We are incredibly excited and its wonderful to get the reality from someone living there.. I have had some great info from Susie so its great to see more people enjoying the beauty of Tasmania.

We cant wait to join the ranks!

:jiggy::v_SPIN::biggrin:

Steph x

Guest sh7t man no way

ive heard great things about tassie to--we have dear friends in queensland who rave on about tassie--they moved to queensland because of family--they yearn to go back:wubclub:its a state not many look to when on there journey to australia--a mistake in my book

Guest siamsusie
Update from above... Visa granted this morning :biglaugh:

Tasmania here we come!!!!!!!!!! :jiggy:

:hug:Thats just the most fantastic news ever Steph.. one happy bunny here... I am just thrilled for you guys love Susie xxx

Guest siamsusie
ive heard great things about tassie to--we have dear friends in queensland who rave on about tassie--they moved to queensland because of family--they yearn to go back:wubclub:its a state not many look to when on there journey to australia--a mistake in my book

Well it does depend on employment Alan, and many people like Jimbo wouldnt like the cooler weather.

Personally that was a plus for us after northern WA . We love it here, it really is one of Australia's jewels.

:wubclub:Susie x

Guest sh7t man no way
Well it does depend on employment Alan, and many people like Jimbo wouldnt like the cooler weather.

Personally that was a plus for us after northern WA . We love it here, it really is one of Australia's jewels.

:wubclub:Susie x

the hot weather is not its all cracked up to be susie--ive heard in winter in tassie it dosnt get lower than 6 degrees--my mates in qld suffer from the humidity (there oldies):wubclub:and really struggle with it-mind you the best time for me in qld is the winter months,i have much more energy--ive never been to tassie but as i say from what ive heard its the place to be

Guest smileykylie

I think Tasmania is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I did 'move' there in 1998 however only lasted 3 weeks as the friend I moved with started going out with my brother and wanted to go home, and she drove me mad - wish I had stayed on on my own as I thought Hobart was stunning. Must get back down there for a visit - just not Davenport - kind of got barred from the whole town :laugh:- oops!!

ps my mum swears Tassie is colder than scotland!!! I think she has been in Australia too long - under 20deg is now 'freezing' for her!!

Archived