Back to UK after 20 years

LinziM

We have just made the decision to return to the UK after 20 years me and 30 years, hubby. We go back every couple of years or so to visit parents, family and friends. We had talked about retiring to Carmarthenshire as my parents, sister and her large family are there, but have decided to go now while we can enjoy the countryside and the fabulous history, culture and architecture. We had a week on the Mon and Brec canal on a narrow boat last September and since then the idea formed and gained momentum. We have heard about people regretting the move back, but we intend to enjoy our time there to the fullest and explore the British Isles and Europe. I have to say that I have been happy here, but I am over Perth! I would love to hear from anyone who is contemplating going back or has done so.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Good luck with it. Lots of people seem to be doing it for all the same reasons. I was back in the UK a few months ago and saw nothing to put us off. I arrived here in 1962 with my parents and love England. He hope to make the move the end of this year.

Guest Gunner
We have just made the decision to return to the UK after 20 years me and 30 years, hubby. We go back every couple of years or so to visit parents, family and friends. We had talked about retiring to Carmarthenshire as my parents, sister and her large family are there, but have decided to go now while we can enjoy the countryside and the fabulous history, culture and architecture. We had a week on the Mon and Brec canal on a narrow boat last September and since then the idea formed and gained momentum. We have heard about people regretting the move back, but we intend to enjoy our time there to the fullest and explore the British Isles and Europe. I have to say that I have been happy here, but I am over Perth! I would love to hear from anyone who is contemplating going back or has done so.

Hi

We have sold the house, shipped belongings, wifes car sold, wife and kids arrived last night into UK. Only things left to do are sell my car,book my flights and tidy up a few things at work. I have been in Oz and NZ for 17 years had a great time, kids both Aussies (10 and 5 yrs) both the wife and I have had great careers here but we decided to risk it all on a return to the UK. I keep asking myself am I completely insane to wreck a great life on a half chance of success....any clairvoyants feel free to tell me. At the end of the day for us it is a now or never situation, we are both 46 and feel any older may be a bit late, also have a son who will be attending High school in a couple of years and we don't want to move him once he has begun HS. Additionally exchange rate is good and to cap it all I feel bored now with AU/NZ. I have travelled extensively around the Asia/Pac region numerous times and none of it excites me anymore. We all have dual citizenship so can return if the doom sayers are correct about the UK and it is all washed up ( they were saying that in 1990 when I first left for adventure). Going to live in Hertford (SE Hertfordshire) mortgage free thanks to the mighty AU dollar with enough to keep me going until I hopefully find a suitable job or buy a business. My biggest worry is the kids not finding life as stimulating and fun in the UK as I did when I was a child. Oh I nearly forgot our entire families are in the UK many Uncles Aunties and cousins for my kids to really spend time with not the annual visit for a month at Xmas we have had in the past. No regrets about living here it has been fantastic but time to move on.....new adventures and hopefully continued success. Please wish a delicate, grey haired, middle aged conservative Arsenal/Collingwood fan good luck.

Pete

Guest guest30038
Please wish a delicate, grey haired, middle aged conservative Arsenal/Collingwood fan good luck.

Pete

Good luck..................especially with your choice of footy teams :wink: :biggrin:

kev

Hi

We have sold the house, shipped belongings, wifes car sold, wife and kids arrived last night into UK. Only things left to do are sell my car,book my flights and tidy up a few things at work. I have been in Oz and NZ for 17 years had a great time, kids both Aussies (10 and 5 yrs) both the wife and I have had great careers here but we decided to risk it all on a return to the UK. I keep asking myself am I completely insane to wreck a great life on a half chance of success....any clairvoyants feel free to tell me. At the end of the day for us it is a now or never situation, we are both 46 and feel any older may be a bit late, also have a son who will be attending High school in a couple of years and we don't want to move him once he has begun HS. Additionally exchange rate is good and to cap it all I feel bored now with AU/NZ. I have travelled extensively around the Asia/Pac region numerous times and none of it excites me anymore. We all have dual citizenship so can return if the doom sayers are correct about the UK and it is all washed up ( they were saying that in 1990 when I first left for adventure). Going to live in Hertford (SE Hertfordshire) mortgage free thanks to the mighty AU dollar with enough to keep me going until I hopefully find a suitable job or buy a business. My biggest worry is the kids not finding life as stimulating and fun in the UK as I did when I was a child. Oh I nearly forgot our entire families are in the UK many Uncles Aunties and cousins for my kids to really spend time with not the annual visit for a month at Xmas we have had in the past. No regrets about living here it has been fantastic but time to move on.....new adventures and hopefully continued success. Please wish a delicate, grey haired, middle aged conservative Arsenal/Collingwood fan good luck.

Pete

Always good to see off a Collingwood supporter :biggrin:

good luck.

Guest siamsusie
Hi

Pete

You have so many choices and I wish you all the luck in the world. It's always exciting going to pastures new and hopefully everything will fall into place for you.

I am very jealous you are near my beloved Arsenal:tongue: Cheers and best wishes Susie x:wubclub:

Guest chris955

You are no more insane than those who do it the other way around, they leave a good, comfortable life in the UK for a complete unknown. Beleive me the doom sayers have their own agenda and the UK is far from all washed up from what I saw a couple of months ago. As you say people have been saying that for years and it's no more true now than it was then.

Kids find stimulation wherever they are, if they are into the beach and surfing then yes they might struggle but if they are just normal everyday kids that like TV, playing games and kicking a ball then they will be fine, it is adults that find it harder to adapt. I only spent 3 weeks back in the UK but travelled one end to the other and saw nothing to make me doubt our plan. Good luck, you'll love it.

Hi

I keep asking myself am I completely insane to wreck a great life on a half chance of success....any clairvoyants feel free to tell me. At the end of the day for us it is a now or never situation, we are both 46 and feel any older may be a bit late, also have a son who will be attending High school in a couple of years and we don't want to move him once he has begun HS. Additionally exchange rate is good and to cap it all I feel bored now with AU/NZ. I have travelled extensively around the Asia/Pac region numerous times and none of it excites me anymore. We all have dual citizenship so can return if the doom sayers are correct about the UK and it is all washed up ( they were saying that in 1990 when I first left for adventure). Going to live in Hertford (SE Hertfordshire) mortgage free thanks to the mighty AU dollar with enough to keep me going until I hopefully find a suitable job or buy a business. My biggest worry is the kids not finding life as stimulating and fun in the UK as I did when I was a child. Oh I nearly forgot our entire families are in the UK many Uncles Aunties and cousins for my kids to really spend time with not the annual visit for a month at Xmas we have had in the past. No regrets about living here it has been fantastic but time to move on.....new adventures and hopefully continued success. Please wish a delicate, grey haired, middle aged conservative Arsenal/Collingwood fan good luck.

Pete

Guest guest30038
Beleive me the doom sayers have their own agenda

Why do you think that?

Aren't their perceptions based on their experiences or are you calling them liars............lying because they have an agenda? What would that agenda be Chris?

Why do you have to question others' experiences and attempt to nullify them, just because yours are different?

I know plenty of folk that we left behind who are having a hell of a time of it back in the UK. Six out of 9 people that we keep in touch with, have been made redundant, all of them having been in their employment for more than 10 yrs. Geldhills, a major company making traffic cones, bus shelters etc for local gov't (est over 50yrs) was to shed 90 jobs with an estimated doubling of that figure within 6 months. Thirty have gone now with the other 60 being "on hold" because other workers accepted shorter hours...........this impacts not only on those redundant but those with cut hours..........figures that won't show in any unemployment figures.

Unemployment figures in my home town of Blackpool rose by 17% last month to a total of nearly 9%. I could quote many similar figures but if I did, why should it be construed as me (ar anyone else for that matter) as "having an agenda" just because you see things as hunky dory?

I don't expect an answer because just as you judge people with opposing views as "having an agenda" so too do you refuse to debate issues with me based on your preconception of me.

Three weeks Chris you should have spent three months like we did this year.

Chris we all know you wish to return to UK and that is fine and I hope it gives you all you want in life, you find a good job, you settle in a cottage with roses around the door, the snow falls on Christmas Day and traffic does not use the street you live on.

Sorry for the sarcasm but honestly like the other op said its not a bed of roses for a lot of the UK inhabitants, for some of them it has not been since the mines closed.

I have posted before that where my sister lives a lot of the guys who are now older have not worked for over twenty years there is nothing for them.

As long as we have cash in the bank to fall back on and like colder weather we can have a nice life in UK but unfortunately that is not everyone. Its not doom saying its fact.

Guest guest30038

Thank you Petals. Some people refuse to accept other folks' reality. They must have an agenda or something? :rolleyes: :goofy:

kev

Guest chris955

I would have prefeered to have spent 3 months there but I think divorce papers would have been waiting when I got home :biggrin:.

I wont be looking for a job when I get back and I can live without the roses although they would be a nice feature, maybe something we can add ourselves later.

Three weeks Chris you should have spent three months like we did this year.

Chris we all know you wish to return to UK and that is fine and I hope it gives you all you want in life, you find a good job, you settle in a cottage with roses around the door, the snow falls on Christmas Day and traffic does not use the street you live on.

Sorry for the sarcasm but honestly like the other op said its not a bed of roses for a lot of the UK inhabitants, for some of them it has not been since the mines closed.

I have posted before that where my sister lives a lot of the guys who are now older have not worked for over twenty years there is nothing for them.

As long as we have cash in the bank to fall back on and like colder weather we can have a nice life in UK but unfortunately that is not everyone. Its not doom saying its fact.

We are in a similar position to you, lived in Perth for 24 years, and Melbourne last 3 years. Returning to UK sometime this year. Just getting house ready to sell, etc. After a couple of years of 'should we shouldn't we' finally decided that with dual citizenship it's not really a big deal. World is getting smaller. So good luck with your move, and congratuations on making a decision, I know how hard it can be.

Guest treesea

It's probably a good time to be coming back, with the Aussie dollar so strong against the pound. We came back nearly 7 years ago. There's not a lot of work here these days - it was better when we first came back. Self employment was a better option for us. If you did fancy that route, there's lots of support for new businesses, financial and otherwise, especially in Wales. Things like (Scotland) not having to pay any business rates until your turnover is over £500K a year. And grants to employ people, if you are willing to train them. Housing prices are pretty good too. I doubt if they will ever crash. Britain imports too many people, and builds far too few new houses for accommodation to ever get the the cheap and plentiful stage it seems to have got to in the States. If you have a half decent deposit, mortgage interest rates are still very low. People complain about energy prices - and for sure, petrol costs an arm and a leg, £1.22 a litre on a good day - but our electricity bill still costs less than it did for combined gas/electricity in Australia. £55 a week or so, and we both work from home. Our gas bill came to more than that over winter in Australia, let alone with the electricity on top.

If you are travelling around, Travelodge have cheap accommodation. If you book online well in advance, you can get room rates as low as £19 a night. I can recommend the one in Basildon, Essex. It's next door to a fantastic Chinese buffet style restaurant. Some fo the best Chinese I have eaten since I came back.

On the down side, except for curries, which are superb here and better than Oz, the takeaway/restaurant scene here in a bit dismal. Expensive and not the best quality wise. Chinese food, for instance, is a bit like it was in Australia 30 years ago. Dubious quality chow mein and the like.

If you are into Ugg boots, G-Star or good quality wool clothing, I would suggest getting these in Australia before coming back - they cost the earth over here. Likewise Canterbury wear. I saw a sheepskin rug the other day at John Lewis - all £155 of it.

It's probably a good time to be coming back, with the Aussie dollar so strong against the pound. We came back nearly 7 years ago. There's not a lot of work here these days - it was better when we first came back. Self employment was a better option for us. If you did fancy that route, there's lots of support for new businesses, financial and otherwise, especially in Wales. Things like (Scotland) not having to pay any business rates until your turnover is over £500K a year. And grants to employ people, if you are willing to train them. Housing prices are pretty good too. I doubt if they will ever crash. Britain imports too many people, and builds far too few new houses for accommodation to ever get the the cheap and plentiful stage it seems to have got to in the States. If you have a half decent deposit, mortgage interest rates are still very low. People complain about energy prices - and for sure, petrol costs an arm and a leg, £1.22 a litre on a good day - but our electricity bill still costs less than it did for combined gas/electricity in Australia. £55 a week or so, and we both work from home. Our gas bill came to more than that over winter in Australia, let alone with the electricity on top.

If you are travelling around, Travelodge have cheap accommodation. If you book online well in advance, you can get room rates as low as £19 a night. I can recommend the one in Basildon, Essex. It's next door to a fantastic Chinese buffet style restaurant. Some fo the best Chinese I have eaten since I came back.

On the down side, except for curries, which are superb here and better than Oz, the takeaway/restaurant scene here in a bit dismal. Expensive and not the best quality wise. Chinese food, for instance, is a bit like it was in Australia 30 years ago. Dubious quality chow mein and the like.

If you are into Ugg boots, G-Star or good quality wool clothing, I would suggest getting these in Australia before coming back - they cost the earth over here. Likewise Canterbury wear. I saw a sheepskin rug the other day at John Lewis - all £155 of it.

So treesea ?

Are you happy living in the UK or would you like to go back to Aus?

John

we have been back in the UK now for a couple of months, and while there are lots of cutbacks going on I do not regret our move back. Both myself and my husband have secured work and whilst I perhaps do not earn quite as much money I have a job I love.

For me it's all about where I belong and not how much money I can earn. My daughter loves school has made friends very quickly and even the dog appears years younger. We are just planning a holiday in Cornwall in the summer and plan a visit to Germany to visit my uncle where we plan to drive to Italy for a few days.

Good luck with the move I'm sure you will find life as full as you have in oz.

Guest chris955

Yes it's a perfect time to make the move. We are going to be opening our own business and be mortgage free so money isn't a huge issue other than just day to day to start with.

I couldn't get over the cost of accommodation when I was there recently, I used Travelodge a few times, booked before I left here. Very clean, everything I needed and as you say 19 quid a night. We are looking at going away next month only for 4 nights and everywhere is at least $100 a night.

I cant understand why someone keeps posting that electricity and gas is 'much cheaper' in Australia when the facts don't support what he says, it's just misleading.

The food thing I don't agree with, when not eating at friends houses I used the many pubs and the food was excellent and cheap. I must admit I didn't use any restaurants at all.

Guest chris955

Yes you make a good point, obviously for some the money is of great importance, for us and many others it is for that sense of belonging.

we have been back in the UK now for a couple of months, and while there are lots of cutbacks going on I do not regret our move back. Both myself and my husband have secured work and whilst I perhaps do not earn quite as much money I have a job I love.

For me it's all about where I belong and not how much money I can earn. My daughter loves school has made friends very quickly and even the dog appears years younger. We are just planning a holiday in Cornwall in the summer and plan a visit to Germany to visit my uncle where we plan to drive to Italy for a few days.

Good luck with the move I'm sure you will find life as full as you have in oz.

Guest smarties

We moved back to the UK a while ago but are now heading back to Oz this year. There are many things I love about here but on balance we had a better lifestyle as a family in Oz. It will be a compromise on some parts and it’s hard to pinpoint the tipping poinst but we were all just more content there. Our children were happier there and don’t even mind that we are going to a different city this time.

Other considerations for us is our (and the children’s) financial future, wages here are very low. I am in accounts (with qualifications) and earn less now than I did 10 years ago and cannot get a permanent contract for love nor money. Although my OH earns good money he has not had a pay rise since we’ve been back which means we are going backwards financially as the cost of living here rises. Having already lived there we know that the cost of living is high in Oz too, but both of our salaries were better in Oz than they are here. House prices are also more affordable where we are looking at going (Melbourne) than here in SE England.

I didn’t listen to anyone when we were coming back to the UK, I just wanted to come home and I don’t regret it one bit. I would have always wondered “what if” if we hadn’t. It’s all been part of the journey, and everyone’s is different. We have also had some fabulous times exploring the UK and Europe again.

Having come back has given us the opportunity to see life here first hand, living it, not just in holiday mode (or pining for it from afar as I did on many occasions) and for us we feel Australia has a much better future for us as a family and are very excited to be on our way back.

Good luck to the OP, but do your research re income etc (which I’m sure you are doing anyway). I hope it works out for you.

Guest chris955

The move either way doesn't work for everyone, if it did life would be so easy. Wages are higher some some and lower for others, same with housing etc. Many people make the move both ways and life happy lives. I hope your move works out for you this time.

hi i have been moving to and from since 1981 i love england it has so much more to offer, i love the change of seasons. you may ask why i come back, just for family i have all my family here, my husband is oz, we lived in england for twelve years he loves it too now. we have been back four years now, but im desperate to return to my homeland once again. hoping to go end of the year. good luck i dont think you will regret it

Guest The Pom Queen
hi i have been moving to and from since 1981 i love england it has so much more to offer, i love the change of seasons. you may ask why i come back, just for family i have all my family here, my husband is oz, we lived in england for twelve years he loves it too now. we have been back four years now, but im desperate to return to my homeland once again. hoping to go end of the year. good luck i dont think you will regret it

Welcome to pomsinoz Shaz.:wubclub:

Same as you LinziM we too have returned every so often for parents and holidays. Unlike you, I always felt homesick for UK and just decided I had to "put up and shut up"! And so I did...just got on with life here but always missed my own culture, history etc. And so it's with great excitement we are packing up ourselves and our two young dogs to live somewhere near the Welsh/English border countryside that's affordable for us. Have you found that Australian friends think you are mad? And that Brit friends always say "we've been thinking of going back but all too difficult...etc etc" or " We'd love to go back....really miss....etc etc and watch UK TV all the time"? Some people who were once quite regular visitors just simply stopped visiting...It's like they are shunning us for our decision...Or maybe their way of coping with the changed situation. I always tell them they can come stay "free accommodation" in UK. So they know it's not them we are deserting. Anyway...I'll watch with interest how you journey. We will be there around June 2011.

Archived