Moving back to the UK in July 2011

Guest carbee

Guest carbee

We are a family of 4. My husband and I have been here 13 years, we have 2 children born in Oz and wish to move back to the UK for 1-2 years as a life experience for the kids and a break for us. Has anybody else out there done or doing similar? Do we need to get British passports for the kids and ours renewed before we go? Do we need to be concerned about work, tax, national health, doctors, dentists etc etc before we go? Is it an easy thing to do? We have a house in Oz that we will be renting out and will be looking to rent in the UK, is renting an easy way to go? as we have nowhere to stay but plan on holiday accommodation until we find a rental. We are possibly looking around Melton Mowbray area, as it seems quite central to all areas in the UK, has anybody got any views on this area?

Looking forward to any replies.

Guest guest30038
We are possibly looking around Melton Mowbray area, as it seems quite central to all areas in the UK, has anybody got any views on this area?

Looking forward to any replies.

There's good pies there, there is :yes:

Other than that, I can't help, but good luck.

kev

Guest alanmarybella

Hello,

we have just read your post with interest, have you thought about doing a house swap? We are members of a site called homeforexchange.com and are doing a short swap this year to Perth so we can do a recki. We hope to be moving permanantly at the begining of next year, depending upon visa. would you be interested in doing a long term house swap. We are in bedforshire, personal message us if you think this is something you might interested. If our dates don't fit your plans I highly recomend you have a look at that web site anyway.

have a great new year

Alan and Mary

Hello,

we have just read your post with interest, have you thought about doing a house swap? We are members of a site called homeforexchange.com and are doing a short swap this year to Perth so we can do a recki. We hope to be moving permanantly at the begining of next year, depending upon visa. would you be interested in doing a long term house swap. We are in bedforshire, personal message us if you think this is something you might interested. If our dates don't fit your plans I highly recomend you have a look at that web site anyway.

have a great new year

Alan and Mary

What a great idea :jiggy:why not start a thread and get the mods to make it a sticky.

You would be wise to get everyone UK passports then you wont have any hassles with entering the country (try explaining that you are going to UK for a 2 year holiday and expect to work ... probably wouldnt go down too well especially if you cant evidence loads of cash and dont have a visa to work!). You will have to argue permanent residence so even if you think you will be returning to Aus, you probably will want to reassure people that you are there to stay so you can access the NHS etc. You've probably still got your NI numbers from when you lived there before otherwise that can be a bit of a chore.

I don't know what you do for a living but please be aware, it is really hard to get work in the midlands at the moment.

We live in Leicester and 4 members of our family have been made redundant in recent months. Although 3 of them have managed to get jobs it has only been down to pure luck as they have all got jobs in places that family members were already employed. This is mainly because having contacts within the industry means you get to know about vacancies before everyone else and so are able to 'jump the queue' so to speak.

Most decent jobs are gone before they reach the job centre and we have found that agencies are next to useless.

We also have one family member in the Northwest of England who is employed by local authority and has just received notice (austerity measures). She and 8 colleagues are not feeling very hopeful of finding work in the near future.

Obviously a lot will depend on what you do for a living but unless your skill is in short supply you may find it a struggle.

Please be prepared for a few weeks/months of unemployment and make sure you have enough funds to tide you over in this event.

That said, I wish you luck in your next adventure, but, please be aware it is no picnic in the UK job market at the moment.

Kind regards metoo

We did the same thing in 1990 with our three children. Our children were older than yours I think, being 21, 19 and 14. We intended to travel extensively around the UK and Europe as we had emigrated in our early 20's. We travelled on a British passport (we had dual nationality), and because we sold our house in Melbourne, we had no problem with Inland Revenue, doctors, dentists etc. We lived in North Wales and loved living in such beautiful countryside. However, our teenage daughter did suffer over the move, as it is not an easy age and she found it difficult to settle in at school. One of my sons married and had two children, and his wife was not keen on moving to Australia! Our unmarried daughter eventually decided she wanted to return to Australia and did so on her own. We followed two years later with one of our sons, and our other son and his family are due to return sometime this year. Hopefully his wife will settle ok. We do not regret our move to the UK as we saw some beautiful places and made wonderful memories. It is a brave thing to do, as was moving to Australia in the first place. I sincerely hope that you manage to organise this temporary move, as I fully understand why you want to do it. Best of luck!

Guest carbee

Even though I have been in Oz for 13 years, this PomsInOz site or anything like it is very new to me, and really love and appreciate all the feedback from everyone it is all very interesting and useful. I wish I had known about it when we first moved out here. Thankyou.

Even though I have been in Oz for 13 years, this PomsInOz site or anything like it is very new to me, and really love and appreciate all the feedback from everyone it is all very interesting and useful. I wish I had known about it when we first moved out here. Thankyou.

Me too Carbree! I only discovered this site in May this year. Who knows, if I had found it years ago, maybe I would have had the courage to go back sooner?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
What a great idea :jiggy:why not start a thread and get the mods to make it a sticky.

Whats a sticky?:wacko::wub:

Archived