not a permenant stay.

Rhian1

Hi all,

My husband and I are living in Melbourne at the moment, we arrived in October and plan to stay here for 2 or so years - we then want to move back to the uk.

We have residency but got it because it was the easiest way of moving here to give us both as much flexibility with jobs not because we planned to stay here forever. We came here with an open mind, but feel we'll return after this time. Mainly because we miss our family and friends and we also miss the UK!

We are really enjoying our time here, we have seen so much so far, we are enjoying our jobs and life here is good and we have so much planned this year.

We both just don't want to stay forever - is this ok? we have had some mixed reactions from people here - whywould you want to go back to cold uk? eveyrthing is so much better here!!

We are very close to our families, my OH's dad was very ill last year with leukemia and that made things hard.

We came here for an adventure - to live and work overseas, to have an experience, grow as a person and see as much of the place as possible.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

x

That was my dream when I was in my 20's - didn't expect to move here at all. Very glad we have because it suits our family even though I love going back to see my folks, friends and the lovely villages in England where they live.

Enjoy the opportunity and if you fall in love with Melbourne and/or Australia you can decide later whether you'd like to stay longer.

I guess if you had said that you were on a working holiday then you would have received a different response. Because you have residency people wonder why you bothered if it was just a working holiday.

If you are like my family moving becomes very easy and once you do it once why not more times.

My friend here who is also English has lived in Canada, South Africa, Saudi and now they live here and this is where they are staying.

I have lived in UK, Africa, New Zealand and Australia and this is where we are staying.

Lived in UK twice, whilst young and then again when I married but as I had travelled so much missed it so came back.

Hope you enjoy your stay and remember its a "working holiday" :laugh:

Guest smileykylie

Of course it is OK!!! When I moved to the UK people could not understand why I would want to live there coming from here!!! I too went for 2 years to have an adventure and stayed for 7. People could just not get why I did not want to live in Australia - I have been home nearly a year and still miss the UK nearly every day, but like you family relationships are important to me so for now I will stay here- it is nice to have the choice though as I am a british citizen - never say never.

As you have residency you can go with the flow a bit and see how you like it - you may stay longer or you may not but as long as you are both doing what is right for YOU go for it!!

Like Smileykylie's post, I am Aussie and went to England for a big adventure, as my parents were from UK, and had citizenship. I said about five years, and then I returned to family etc. There is usually a big movement of people across the two countries, so enjoy it and go and come as you please, you only answer to you. Enjoy ! Luckily, it's a free world.

Thank you for all your messages.

We are seeing this as a 'working holiday' couple of years. Who knows what'll happen in those 2 years - we may find somewhere and think 'this is it' but at the moment we feel we'd like to settle down a little closer to our family. Nothing wrong with that. I worry about what people think! I've definately learnt that people always want to tell you what they think - sp about such a big thing as moving to the other side of the world. and then when people say - why you coming home? and they haven't even been here in the first place or even lived far away from their family! Its certainly made us appreciate things a lot.

Hi

My husband, myself and our 4 sons lived in Perth for a year, we loved Australia so much and had a great year there. We are also very close to our families and living so far away from them was always going to be difficult, we returned to the UK and don't regret it at all. We miss Perth alot but being near our families make up for all the things we miss. We did get a permanent visa 2 years ago and tried to sell our house to return to Perth but it didn't work out, I was secretly relieved though because I didn't want to leave everyone again. I work with a few people who have also lived in Oz but returned to the uk and they are happy being back as well. All in all I'm so glad we had the experience we did.

I've had similar thoughts and feelings both times we've lived in Australia. The only thing that prevented me from fully enjoying living there was all my guilt and worries about whether we should stay permanently, guilt about family, pressure from feeling we are wrong to go home...just enjoy it and let go of the worry of what you will do in the future. Letting go completely of the outcome will mean you can fully enjoy your experience! Have fun!

Of course it is OK. I came to Australia expecting to move on at some point but unfortunately I have become stuck here with a recalcitrant Aussie husband who wont move to UK with me. The first 10 years here were fine, the second ten were marching time because we had to have stability for the kids but the last 10 have been a nightmare - so do keep talking to each other about what you want out of your lives and where you are best placed to achieve that. For me in retirement the UK offers all that I need but the husband thinks that he gets everything he needs here in Aus. There is nothing in the rule book that says that Australia has to be the best thing since sliced bread - for me UK offers so much more!

Guest SophieKin
Hi all,

My husband and I are living in Melbourne at the moment, we arrived in October and plan to stay here for 2 or so years - we then want to move back to the uk.

We have residency but got it because it was the easiest way of moving here to give us both as much flexibility with jobs not because we planned to stay here forever. We came here with an open mind, but feel we'll return after this time. Mainly because we miss our family and friends and we also miss the UK!

We are really enjoying our time here, we have seen so much so far, we are enjoying our jobs and life here is good and we have so much planned this year.

We both just don't want to stay forever - is this ok? we have had some mixed reactions from people here - whywould you want to go back to cold uk? eveyrthing is so much better here!!

We are very close to our families, my OH's dad was very ill last year with leukemia and that made things hard.

We came here for an adventure - to live and work overseas, to have an experience, grow as a person and see as much of the place as possible.

x

I can fully understand why you are not treating your time here as long term. We emigrated here with PR however we never said it was going to be forever. As it turns out neither of us are settled here and are intending to return in a couple of years. It would be nice to stay 4 years for citizenship just to enable our children to become dual citizens, however we may go back sooner. I hated it here when I thought I was stuck here forever, but now we know we are going to return at some point, I am enjoying it more and treating it as an adventure like yourself.

I have meet other people who have no intention of ever returning home , not even for a visit and I find that really odd.

SK

Guest robbosdownunder
Hi all,

x

I joined this forum recently to sell some furniture because we're moving back to UK after 5 yrs in Brisbane. I vowed I wouldn't get caught up in any threads about returning to the UK becuase we have had some very mixed reactions from our friends here, but I couldn't resist replying to you. I hope my response is a balanced one:

When we first came out here, we never said, we'd never move back, although my husband was far more settled than I originally and he thought we'd be here for always. I settled in very quickly considering. At the time our two girls were 6 and 7 and a half.

5 and a bit years later, we are planning on going 'home'. We love Australia, can't run it down at all, but we want to be back with our families. We've had a fantastic 5 yrs, some brilliant experiences and a wonderful life.

Things have got more expensive since we've arrived, and I believe this is also the case in the UK, but due to us making money on our two properties we have built here, we will actually be much better off in the UK (esp with the current exchange rate).

England will take some adjusting to again, the lack of space, the grey skies, the number of people, but we believe life is what you make it, doesn't matter where you live, and we just want to go 'home'. We believe we will be just as happy back there.

The grass is always greener, but still needs mowing! No where is perfect.

Moving to Australia to live for 5 yrs has taught us soo much. It has made us 'gel' as a family, made us realise what is important in life, and our girls now 13 and 11 have had a great experience too.

Life is an adventure. We don't regret it one bit. One thing we've learnt, is to never say 'never'. We have Aussie passports, so may even come back again!!

Enjoy your time here!

I joined this forum recently to sell some furniture because we're moving back to UK after 5 yrs in Brisbane. I vowed I wouldn't get caught up in any threads about returning to the UK becuase we have had some very mixed reactions from our friends here, but I couldn't resist replying to you. I hope my response is a balanced one:

When we first came out here, we never said, we'd never move back, although my husband was far more settled than I originally and he thought we'd be here for always. I settled in very quickly considering. At the time our two girls were 6 and 7 and a half.

5 and a bit years later, we are planning on going 'home'. We love Australia, can't run it down at all, but we want to be back with our families. We've had a fantastic 5 yrs, some brilliant experiences and a wonderful life.

Things have got more expensive since we've arrived, and I believe this is also the case in the UK, but due to us making money on our two properties we have built here, we will actually be much better off in the UK (esp with the current exchange rate).

England will take some adjusting to again, the lack of space, the grey skies, the number of people, but we believe life is what you make it, doesn't matter where you live, and we just want to go 'home'. We believe we will be just as happy back there.

The grass is always greener, but still needs mowing! No where is perfect.

Moving to Australia to live for 5 yrs has taught us soo much. It has made us 'gel' as a family, made us realise what is important in life, and our girls now 13 and 11 have had a great experience too.

Life is an adventure. We don't regret it one bit. One thing we've learnt, is to never say 'never'. We have Aussie passports, so may even come back again!!

Enjoy your time here!

Your story sounds similar to ours. We lived in Oz for 5 years we had 2 children. We also never said this is us forever.

We are better off here in the UK too, I do not have to work where as we would never have survived in Oz on one wage, mortgage, 2 young children but here for us it is so much more managable!!

We have now been back in the UK for 7 months and have just spent a wonderful Christmas with our family and friends. The last few days have been cold and grey getting dark at 4pm but we also get alot of nice cold, crisp days with lots of blue skies too....It will soon be spring, days will be getting longer and hopefully a lot more nice days will blue skies. We definitely made the right decision coming home, we have done so much in the last 7 months as we now totally appreciate what England has to offer and we make more of an effort to get out and there and do stuff!!

We do miss some things in Oz the weather was great but its what you want in life and to me yeah "its a nice thing to have" but not the most important thing!! Seeing my children running up to their grandparents with open arms personally for me means so much more.

Good luck with your move back I hope it all works out for you and life is what you make it :biggrin:

Guest robbosdownunder
Your story sounds similar to ours. We lived in Oz for 5 years we had 2 children. We also never said this is us forever.

We are better off here in the UK too, I do not have to work where as we would never have survived in Oz on one wage, mortgage, 2 young children but here for us it is so much more managable!!

We have now been back in the UK for 7 months and have just spent a wonderful Christmas with our family and friends. The last few days have been cold and grey getting dark at 4pm but we also get alot of nice cold, crisp days with lots of blue skies too....It will soon be spring, days will be getting longer and hopefully a lot more nice days will blue skies. We definitely made the right decision coming home, we have done so much in the last 7 months as we now totally appreciate what England has to offer and we make more of an effort to get out and there and do stuff!!

We do miss some things in Oz the weather was great but its what you want in life and to me yeah "its a nice thing to have" but not the most important thing!! Seeing my children running up to their grandparents with open arms personally for me means so much more.

Good luck with your move back I hope it all works out for you and life is what you make it :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to have the support, as we have had some mixed reactions from people here!!! Like I say, we can't run Australia down, we do love it, but it's not 'home'. It's a very personal decision, and not right for everyone. I just wish those people who are very negative about the UK would keep it to themselves and stop trying to talk us into not going. I shouldn't have to keep justifying myslef to everyone! The UK might not be perfect, but it's home and Australia isn't perfect either!

Archived