Telecomm network engineer IEA VS Telecomm technician TRA ???

ovel

Well, I've looked at the SMPs, and I've utterly upset for the simple reason that Telecomm Network Engineers have fewer possibilities to move to AU than tradespersons such as Telecomm Technicians. I'm the Telecommunications Network Engineer with more than 7yr experience, however I haven't been assessed yet and no IELTS as well, so I'm just trying to decide for myself, which kind of assessment I have to choose.

Let's consider a Telecomm Egineer opportunity, who is represented in two positions in SOL3. These are:

263311 Telecommunications Engineer

263312 Telecommunications Network Engineer

Now let's consider the SMPs:

in WA SMP (IELTS 7777, 7 year exp) - but there is ONLY 263311

in SA (20k$ cash) - only 263312

I remember ACT SMP has 26331x position, but there are some insane cash requirements also.

An engineer must be assessed with the IEA, have an IELTS 6666, and be ready to pay about AUD$500. As well the assessment will take about 5 months. After that the engineer will get just one ANZSCO code.

It's very sad.

Then let's consider to the opportunity 342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN, who is just simple tradesperson. You can look at duties here: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

I suppose, any professional telecomm engineer knows how to work with cables and with telecomm equipment, so i presume that any one able to be assessed as a tradesperson. Furthermore, lets look at the telecomm technician possibilities and requirements:

WA (IELTS 6666, 5 yr exp)

VIC (5 yr exp)

Telecomm technician has to be assessed in TRA, the assessment will cost about $300, and it will take 1 month. Feel the difference.

Well, now is the question. I have a bachelor degree, and I was qualified as 'Physicist'. After qualification I've been working for different telecommunications companies, so my summary experience is more than 7 years as Telecommunications Network Engineer. However, i see that a technician has more possibilities to move out to AU than an engineer, therefore the question is how to be assessed in TRA ? Has anybody an experience with TRA assessment ?

May be have you another thoughts? Don't hesitate, and just drop line here.

p.s. All of this is relating to the new points test. I don't make delusions to my ability to pass an IELTS more than 6666 or somthing else :)

• 1 month later...
I am putting my TRA in tomorrow for the telecommunications technician so I will keep you updated mate,

Like to know how you get on too mate, as I'm looking to do the same TRA occupation assessment. What visa are you looking to go with ? :biggrin:

Im going for 176 for SA, what about u?

Not decided yet. Would really like to secure a Sponsored job out there first but I maybe hoping a bit much. Otherwise will look at regional sponsorship as I will do almost any job for money until the right one comes along !

Just looking at getting the TRA stuff together as Telecommunications Technician first, big challenge in itself !

What do you do now, I do PABX maintenance ??

I just left the British army in Oct, worked more on radios and satcom mainly but done a bit of line/pabx/comms rigging. bit of a nightmare as in the army your a jack of all trades master of nonel, hoping to get a job in Satcom over here as I done that for the previous 3 1/2 years.

last august i flew to sydney to complete my tra as a telecomms technician , also did my open rego cabling licence at the same time , if you have any questions let me know

i will be arriving in melbourne in may , so can give you an update how the industry looks when i get there :biggrin:

thanks

hi took me about 2 yrs in total , i had to fly to sydney to sit an asssesment ,which took up a bit of time

i am sending of my cv all over the place now , there seems a few jobs advertised so fingers crossed it would be nice to have a few things lined up before we land

any questions let me know

thanks mark

• 1 month later...
Guest neiljbm

Regarding "how the industry is"

You've picked the best time to come over, All 3 operators (Telstra, Optus and Voda) are doing major rollouts this year, add to that the National Broadband Network just startin a $40billion fibre build.

Australia is incredibly short skilled in IT and Telecoms so you have no problem with offers.

I'm from the UK and was sponsored in 2006 (457 visa) to work on a WCDMA rollout, I never left and am now a resident.

I've no doubt employers will be handing out 457's to anyone with genuine Telecomms experience over the coming months and years, for those who are unsure about going through the skills visa's

• 4 weeks later...
Regarding "how the industry is"

You've picked the best time to come over, All 3 operators (Telstra, Optus and Voda) are doing major rollouts this year, add to that the National Broadband Network just startin a $40billion fibre build.

Australia is incredibly short skilled in IT and Telecoms so you have no problem with offers.

I'm from the UK and was sponsored in 2006 (457 visa) to work on a WCDMA rollout, I never left and am now a resident.

I've no doubt employers will be handing out 457's to anyone with genuine Telecomms experience over the coming months and years, for those who are unsure about going through the skills visa's

My OH is a Field Technician in the telecoms industry and has been applying for several jobs in oz and requesting sponsorship. There's tons of jobs available but only short term contracts. Anything less that 2 years we've found won't offer visa sponsosrhip unfortunately.

Gonna keep trying though - one day we may become lucky!!

OH doesn't want to go down the route of applying for his own visa for fear of being rejected and losing money. Being silly - I know. Wasting so much time...

I think telecom jobs have only just gone on the skills shortage list and I beleive it can change at any time.

Good luck Mark and Sharon - I have spoken to you on here previously!!

Well, I've looked at the SMPs, and I've utterly upset for the simple reason that Telecomm Network Engineers have fewer possibilities to move to AU than tradespersons such as Telecomm Technicians. I'm the Telecommunications Network Engineer with more than 7yr experience, however I haven't been assessed yet and no IELTS as well, so I'm just trying to decide for myself, which kind of assessment I have to choose.

Let's consider a Telecomm Egineer opportunity, who is represented in two positions in SOL3. These are:

I remember ACT SMP has 26331x position, but there are some insane cash requirements also.

An engineer must be assessed with the IEA, have an IELTS 6666, and be ready to pay about AUD$500. As well the assessment will take about 5 months. After that the engineer will get just one ANZSCO code.

It's very sad.

Then let's consider to the opportunity 342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN, who is just simple tradesperson. You can look at duties here: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1

I suppose, any professional telecomm engineer knows how to work with cables and with telecomm equipment, so i presume that any one able to be assessed as a tradesperson. Furthermore, lets look at the telecomm technician possibilities and requirements:

VIC (5 yr exp)

Telecomm technician has to be assessed in TRA, the assessment will cost about $300, and it will take 1 month. Feel the difference.

Well, now is the question. I have a bachelor degree, and I was qualified as 'Physicist'. After qualification I've been working for different telecommunications companies, so my summary experience is more than 7 years as Telecommunications Network Engineer. However, i see that a technician has more possibilities to move out to AU than an engineer, therefore the question is how to be assessed in TRA ? Has anybody an experience with TRA assessment ?

p.s. All of this is relating to the new points test. I don't make delusions to my ability to pass an IELTS more than 6666 or somthing else :)

Hi, agreed not much option for SMP for Telco Network Engineer. Only SA (reached planning limit) and ACT while WA has for Telco Engineers. I decided to go for Telco Network Engineer on 175 as it gives freedom to go to any state to look for jobs. I think most of the big telco are based in NSW or VIC but both the state do not have it in their SMP.

Another thing, assessment for IE can take up to 16 weeks if your degree is not part of Washington Accord. I did my assessment last year, and there is a lot of preparation work to do so I suggest you get into it soon.

Cheers mate...

It's very sad.

VIC (5 yr exp)

Relating to new point test, I dont think it matters which skill u select because there are no more points for occupations. You will get point for you age, english, exp, degree. Since you have extensive exp you should be able to get high points for that, and also for your degree.

As for skill assessment, for Telco Network Engineer, you are required to have a min of 6.5 * 4 when you apply to engineers australia. I am not sure what is the requirement for Telecomm Technician though.

Cheers

I actually think it's ridiculous that a degree gets more points than an apprenticeship especially if that degree is in something completely unrelated.

I feel my 4 year apprenticeship and 20+ years all in the UK telecoms industry as an "engineer" should get a good point score.

Maybe being - quoting Ovel, a "TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN, who is just simple tradesperson", I am not considered intelligent enough to do a degree?

At least under the current system I only need IELTS 6.0 which my UK passport gives me, under the new I would need to get 8s with my age to get enough points.

I think the new points system will only serve to exacerbate the current trade shortage.

Grrrrr...

I actually think it's ridiculous that a degree gets more points than an apprenticeship especially if that degree is in something completely unrelated.

I feel my 4 year apprenticeship and 20+ years all in the UK telecoms industry as an "engineer" should get a good point score.

Maybe being - quoting Ovel, a "TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN, who is just simple tradesperson", I am not considered intelligent enough to do a degree?

At least under the current system I only need IELTS 6.0 which my UK passport gives me, under the new I would need to get 8s with my age to get enough points.

I think the new points system will only serve to exacerbate the current trade shortage.

Grrrrr...

I would agree with you, after all what is paper qualifications compared to the experience that you have. Its just unfortunate that DIAC sees it differently. The new point system have made things quite tough to go through. I hope you have applied / will apply before July 1st...

good luck and keep us posted how you get on , i arrive in melbourne on the 27th may , so lets hope theres plenty of work in the industry in oz , :biggrin:

Do keep us posted...

• 10 months later...
Guest slogunu4u

Hi I m also sailing in the same boat...

can u pleas guide under which category Should i apply.. ? 342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN or Telecommunications Network Engineer ?

Becoz i got 6.5 , 6.5 , 6 and 6 in IELTS.

And can only eligible with TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN as Telecommunications Network Engineer requires 7 in each module of IELTS which can give me 10 points to achieve 65 total points.

Pls give suggestion.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Hi I m also sailing in the same boat...

can u pleas guide under which category Should i apply.. ? 342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN or Telecommunications Network Engineer ?

Becoz i got 6.5 , 6.5 , 6 and 6 in IELTS.

And can only eligible with TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN as Telecommunications Network Engineer requires 7 in each module of IELTS which can give me 10 points to achieve 65 total points.

Pls give suggestion.

Thank you kindly in advance.

I believe that an Engineer also requires a degree, do you have one ?

If you need the 10 points for an IELTS score over 7 then it does not matter which occupation you get assessed for, unless you are trying to get an extra 5 points for state sponsorship and Technician is the only occupation on the list for the state you want ?

What visa are you applying for ?

Guest slogunu4u
I believe that an Engineer also requires a degree, do you have one ?

If you need the 10 points for an IELTS score over 7 then it does not matter which occupation you get assessed for, unless you are trying to get an extra 5 points for state sponsorship and Technician is the only occupation on the list for the state you want ?

What visa are you applying for ?

Hi,

thank you very much for reply.

I have done Bachelor of engineering.

In IELTS i got 6.5 , 6.5 , 6 and 6 so that i can not claim 10 points if i apply for "Telecommunications Network Engineer"

My age is 34.

So total point comes to 55 (25 + 15 + 15 = 55).

My querie are

1) i apply for "342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN", can i claim 10 points for IELTS so that my total point comes to 65.

2)if yes, though i am having engineering degree can i apply for "342414 TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN" ?

Please give suggestions and your views.

Archived