Tips on getting your CV noticed, or taken seriously

Eera

I tend to agree. Perhaps this is the difference between the private and public sector.

When I was receiving applications, I doubt I would have even got to the bottom of a wordy page 1, much less onto page 3, before putting an application like that in the "thanks but no thanks" pile.

And, by fluke of the industry I was in, I used to get quite a few applications from Australians. Most were short and to the point, so I assume that's the accepted style down here.

Bob

I think 12 is too large and looks unprofessional.

And I think 10pt looks unreadable and so do my colleagues.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree about a 3 page cover letter and I know I don't have experience of the Australian jobs market. But I cannot believe an Aussie will be different to a Brit and that if 50 people apply for a job they can be bothered to read through 3 pages. 1 page and to the point.

We don't get 50 applicants for a job. We tend to get about five or six applications for a job. Ten at the most. Since we will have to live with the successful applicant for quite some time, we invest quite a bit of time and effort in trying to select the best applicant. This does involve reading their letters and CVs; none are rejected just on the basis of a cursory glance. The first page of a CV is important because it will show where the applicant is right now - but believe me it is often relevant experience in the past which is of particular interest. That may not be on the front page. The applicants who get rejected first are the ones who show on their CV that they are applying for the wrong type/level of job or the ones who simply have "thin" applications. A one page letter and a two page CV would have to be pretty extraordinary to get through the sift - they simply don't have enough information in them to demonstrate that they meet the criteria.

I can promise you that in my own sector, the expectations in the application process are very different here than they were in the UK.

I guess that is a difference then.

When I was in charge of Operations and Engineering for a commercial company, I'd probably receive 20 or so unsolicited applications every week. When we advertised for staff, that number would grow exponentially.

I never viewed the letter and CV as anything more than a quick first stage in the selection process, the first sort as it were. There just wasn't time to got through every line of an over-long application. The first sort would simply separate things into people who appear to have the relevant training and experience and those that didn't.

The pile that made it through the first sort (which rarely took more than 60 seconds per application) would be read a bit more carefully to make sure the first glance was as it seemed and most of those would get interviews. It was the interview where we decided if we could work with the person--as I said before, the CV is just to get the interview.

I'll go even a bit farther and say that, as a horrible generalisation, the longest CVs tended to come from the people with the least to say. A person with years of great experience would just say "10 years editing at the BBC, working on a wide variety of programming" but the beginners would list every student or corporate video they'd worked on.

As I say, possibly the difference between the private and public sector.

Bob

Just wondering, as im going on a WHV, should I be straight up and put this on my CV?

My initial thoughts are that due to the 6 month employment rule that comes with it i'd expect it would be a put off to potential employers.

Guest Sparticus

Hi everyone, sorry to but in.

I came across this thread just as I finished writing my cv, how weird!!

Can anyone tell me is it best to write in the profile part of your cv, skills, attributes, experiences etc and then just write a list of jobs (company, role, dates) without a description, or is it better to write a description of each job under the title?

If the jobs are mainly the same thing, isn't this a waste of time and boring?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you

Hi everyone, sorry to but in.

I came across this thread just as I finished writing my cv, how weird!!

Can anyone tell me is it best to write in the profile part of your cv, skills, attributes, experiences etc and then just write a list of jobs (company, role, dates) without a description, or is it better to write a description of each job under the title?

If the jobs are mainly the same thing, isn't this a waste of time and boring?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you

Doubtless people will offer different opinions but I would expect to see under each job a set of bullet points setting out key achievements or responsibilities (budget, staff, etc) or at the very least tasks which will be relevant to the job you are applying for. Obviously if it is routine work (check out work at a supermarket or something) then this might not be possible. You would want to have more detail for your current job and immediate previous job unless it was ancient history. Earlier jobs, especially if they were at more junior level, should be listed but you don't need the detail. You must explain gaps in the timescale and any major shift in career direction.

I'm going to basically agree with Proud Pom and say "it depends". The main thing to remember is that you're trying to persuade the reader of your CV that you should get an interview.

So, add extra information if it makes you look good. To make up an example: if you worked for two years as a brick layer for a particular construction company, that's probably all you need to say. However, if, in that time, you were promoted to be a foreman or maybe just worked on a prestigious building, then that sort of thing is worth adding.

Similarly, if you have any particular achievements or awards, those are worth mentioning--but how much emphasis they deserve depends on how relevant they are to the job you're applying for.

Finally, go into the most detail on the best or most relevant jobs you've held. If you're applying for a management position in IT, stick to details on your current IT job but don't waste a lot of time on you part time McDonalds burger flipper job in college 20 years ago.

Bob

Wow what a great thread guys. Thanks for all the information in here I am sure it will help loads of people. I have just spent the last few days trawling through approx 70 cv's for a low/medium level job we have advertised. I think dependent on how many people apply for the job depends on how long the person spends looking at them. To start off with I go through them with a 30 second glance trying to pick out those that I would like to read in more detail so it's important to have your cv clear neat and an easy readable font, most reason job clear with dates, I would then check for gaps in employment or lots of different positions and quick glance at qualifications before then deciding if it goes in the bin or not. At this stage I don't read the covering letter.

Every job is different and i would have thought for the employer it depends on how many cvs and how senior the position is.

Probably not alot of use to anyone but just giving my experiences.

Dawn x

Guest GeorgeD

What typically happens next after the CV stage in Australia?

For my job in IT Sales, I spoke to a recruitment consultant who had a contact who was looking for someone with my skills and experience. I was one of three interviewed the following week and was offered the job the day after my interview. I think I was quite lucky the process was so streamlined.

My 17 year old daughter, however, had a different experience recently. She handed her resume in to a high street clothes shop for a Casual part time position (20 hours per week) She has worked in a shop on and off for around 12 months, so she has some experience. She then had to submit an application form which she did. She then had a telephone interview, which went well. She then had a group interview for a full two hours...with nineteen other interviewees in the group. It was at this stage she was unsuccessful so there may have been further stages. Bear in mind she has already successfully come throuhgh the CV/application/telephone interview cull process to be whittled down to the final 20! There were TWO positions. The group interview stage alone took up forty hours of candidates' time. Remember, this was for a bog standard, run of the mill high street store (not a prestige retailer either), just for a part time casual post which a school leaver would be suitable for. Is this process typical???

The style of the cover letter needs to match the culture of the industry you are applying for.

In the engineering industry the ability to get your point across in a concise and precise manner

In one paragraph is very important.

I have worked for both engineering companies & for a bank (IT support).

My experience of both industries in the U.K.

When instructions or memos were required

In the engineering industry it was always concise and to the point.

But oh my

In the banking industry what could be explained in one paragraph in many cases

Was expanded to over a page and one occasion two pages.

• 6 months later...

Fantastic post OP , thank you.

My husband has just updated his CV & more or less finished preparing his cover letter. My first thought upon reading your post was that a previous boss (and referee) of his has suggested he put a small head shot pic of himself as identifing a face to a name is often better (think its the same one from his current works office board) .. Do you think this isnt a good idea ? Obviously he's a normal ordinary 41 year old bloke not a pouting posing 19 year old female trying to act cute LOL.

Also there is a particular job he is going to apply for .. he will tailer his cover letter to that job. However he really needs to put his CV into many recruitments agency's & therefore tailering his cv to a specific job wont really be possible, will this put everyone off him ?

Oh I should have said, he's in the oil & gas industry. We so far havent begun doing the visa side of things ourselves, we were informed by a couple of people its best to see about a job & take it from there as its work sponsership he's hoping to get. He also put a feeler out via LINKEDIN & a couple of guys responded to him (one in mining & one in oil) saying WA energy resources desperate for folk like him but I'm worried he's playing it wrong (or about to) although he himself has had to deal with many cv's here in this country & knows what he & management look for & has read online to see how the aussies like it done so I'm confident his cv is very professional with precise required details etc.

Just reading through these posts, just wondered if anyone has mentioned the CV 'scanners' - they apparently look out for the key words in the selection criteria, so it is a good idea to use those words when you address them in the CV. Read something about them but someone might be able shed more light on it, I am not an expert on recruitment, but have read some resume building resources. I have been told that the last ten years in the most relevant, but what happens if you have been in the same job for the last ten years (now there's a new thought ! Must be worth a gold watch......NOT).

Archived