new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

You welcome.

the 175 is the independent visa, no sponsorship needed, and you are free to live anywhere in Australia

the 176 is the sponsored visa, and you need a State Sponsorship (SS) for this one

I noticed you are in France, if your husband (the primary applicant) does not hold a passport of English speaking country, he must sit IELTS, the sooner the better.

Hi

We live in france but my husband and i are both British.

do you think we should start a 175 i think with the ielts he has enough points?

as the ss seams to be taking forever we are feb applicants?

thanks again :confused:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel
Please add me in guys:

Name: Tycsee

Welcome Tycsee

Uli is on holiday (I know how dare he take a break and go and relax somewhere :wink:) so it might be a few days until you see yourself on the first post.

Hi

Its a hard one Julie

Its a pity you can't convert 175 to 176 anymore - it does mean you are going to be paying out extra cash and potentially wasting it one one...

But if VIC SS is your only option and the new points sytem would not work for you then I think it does warrant consideration but it is something only you can call.

After all the changes in 2009 that delayed our application if we had had another option we would have paid the extra money just to stay in the game.

Maybe check the IELTS gives you the points and do the test just in case you do want to go that route there is sometimes a waiting list.

Vicky

Guest Buddy
Hi

Britons in France?! no wonder you are desperate to get out! :)

as Captain Vicky said, this is a hard one, it really depends on your personal circumstances.

but generally speaking: if you will have enough points on the new system, maybe it will be a good idea waiting for the SS and not applying for 175 now, as you can always apply for a 175 later on

if you will not have enough points on the new system, then it makes sense to apply for a 175 now.

let me ask you few questions:

1-how old is the primary applicant? and how many years of experience?

2-does the primary applicant have a valid skills assessment? (how many years of experience have been awarded by the assessing body?)

3-does the primary applicant hold a BS degree or higher?

providing you will have enough points on the new system:

1-if you get a visa today, will it take you more than one year to move to Oz?

2-is your current job/income stable?

3-do you have any kids in school ? (usually you would avoid moving during the school year)

if your answer to the last 3 questions is "Yes", this indicates 175 might be more suitable, without more waiting.

if you answer "No" then a 176 might be more sensible.

anyway, all this talk is "generalized", it will be much better if you provide more info about your case.

one last thing, being a British, you can get 20 points on the new system by getting all 8s in IELTS.

unless you are Scousers or Welsh, 8s should be a piece of cake ;)

Guest VickyMel

One of my concerns re applying now vs the new system is that in the past when DIAC have changed the rules sometimes people applying under the older system loose out.

There are applicants waiting from 2008 - some of which were toppriority before a change hit them. I was top priority expecting a vis ain 3 months in 2009 then changes in DIACs priority and I was middle then bottom priority. Especially now that you can't change between visa which was what caused the problem in 2009 when the people who lost out in 2008 switched to SS to get top priority again.

But at the same time at least I always had an application in the system even if they were telling me at times I may have to wait 3-4 years...

But if you know for sure the new points system will benefit you I would be tempted to hang on until then as I expect (although don't know - and all this is very easy for me to say now I have my Visa) they may get a better priority than the current 175 SOL folks? But maybe not - maybe DIAC will play fair this time and do all the current 175 SOL applicants before the 175 new points applicants???

Or maybe you just say to heck with the expense I will put in a 175 now - at least you are in the system then and hopefully now that it is better controlled by DIAC there will hopefully be no more capping and ceasing.

Then if it works to your benefit you spend more money applying for a higher priority visa after the changes if it does work out that the current 175s are lowered in priority or if you get SS.

I imagine that SS - and I assume with some variation around the new points system (which must allow for tradies to get in) - will still have a good level of priority now that they have bought in the quota system to prevent it getting out of hand again?

All above - pure thoughts and nothing known.

It really is a hard call and I don't envy your position - but after the hell those of us on here went through in late 2009 and early 2010 trying to jump through the various changes in the system I hope that DIAC have it better planned and that it all works out OK for everyone.

Vicky

Guest Buddy

but after the hell those of us on here went through in late 2009 and early 2010 trying to jump through the various changes in the system I hope that DIAC have it better planned and that it all works out OK for everyone.

I still feel the scar after they revoked the CSL and MODL

I was eligible for 175 with 6 months processing time, and found myself not able to apply at all, not even for priority 4! :)

Welcome Tycsee

Uli is on holiday (I know how dare he take a break and go and relax somewhere :wink:) so it might be a few days until you see yourself on the first post.

Its a hard one Julie

Its a pity you can't convert 175 to 176 anymore - it does mean you are going to be paying out extra cash and potentially wasting it one one...

But if VIC SS is your only option and the new points sytem would not work for you then I think it does warrant consideration but it is something only you can call.

After all the changes in 2009 that delayed our application if we had had another option we would have paid the extra money just to stay in the game.

Maybe check the IELTS gives you the points and do the test just in case you do want to go that route there is sometimes a waiting list.

Vicky

thanks

how much roughly is the fee?? (my hubby is working so can't ask him)

Guest VickyMel

The DIAC fee is $2575 for a 175 or 176

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm#a

it will likely go up a bit in July as well - not much last year though.

Plus if you do another application I'm sure your agent would want extra for the admin work of filling in the new details.

Its a lot of money - but it can also be awful to want to be there and be stuck in a long queue.

Guest blech

Turn me brown.:cry:

Now is really time to apply for 175. Thanks guys for this forum. Wish good luck all of you.

Turn me brown.:cry:

Now is really time to apply for 175. Thanks guys for this forum. Wish good luck all of you.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Quick go for 175. With all the changes in points system and policies, I'd say processing of 175 won't take long.

Look at what happened since July '10, DIAC announced SMPs would have category 2 processing priority, but by the time SMPs were out, it was already Dec. And SS approvals/rejections took another 3 - 4 months on an average and hence, DIAC is able to process cat 3 apps and reduce the backlog. Brilliant move by whoever came with the idea of SMPs and cat 2 processing :wink:

Good luck!! :hug:

armandra!

Guest blech
Sorry to heat that mate.

Quick go for 175. With all the changes in points system and policies, I'd say processing of 175 won't take long.

Look at what happened since July '10, DIAC announced SMPs would have category 2 processing priority, but by the time SMPs were out, it was already Dec. And SS approvals/rejections took another 3 - 4 months on an average and hence, DIAC is able to process cat 3 apps and reduce the backlog. Brilliant move by whoever came with the idea of SMPs and cat 2 processing :wink:

Good luck!! :hug:

armandra!

thank you, we have to be little bit longer in the UK :unsure: I hope it won' t take DIAC ages.

what is positive, we can than choose in which state we prefer to live.

here is the email for Vic.:

Thank you for your client’s application for Victorian Government sponsorship under the 176 - Sponsored visa scheme.

Following a review of the information you have provided to the Skilled and Business Migration Program, we regret to inform you that the Victorian Government is not in a position to sponsor your client under the 176 - Sponsored visa scheme.

Under the Victorian Government’s program, sponsorship is offered to skilled migrants whose skills and experience are in high demand in the Victorian labour market at the time of assessment. High demand may mean those skilled migrants whose skill sets are hard to come by or are rare and unusual.

During the assessment process the Victorian Government consults with industry representatives in Victoria to determine the demand for an applicant’s qualifications, skills and experience, and whether they have high prospects for employment in their field.

All decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

While your client’s occupation meets the eligibility criteria to be considered for state sponsorship, there is not sufficiently high demand for their skills and experience to offer sponsorship at this time.

Note that we would be happy to re-assess your client’s application should they be able to obtain a valid offer of employment in their nominated occupation within Victoria, while their occupation remains eligible to be considered for Victorian Government sponsorship.

Guest la la

Hi,

I have just received this email. I think it's fairly positive as it isn't a rejection.

I failed my assessment because I don't report to the CEO. However, I am appealing next week and have hopefully got sufficient evidence that they will approve me. Fingers tightly crossed!!

Thank you for the application for Victorian Government nomination under the 176 - Sponsored visa scheme.

To be eligible for skilled migration, applicants will need to have their skills assessed by the Australian Institute of Management (AIM). Visit the AIM website for details on gaining the assessment: www.aim.com.au

The Skilled and Business Migration Program will hold the application open for three months to enable you to complete the registration process. Once you receive the assessment, email a scanned copy to the Skilled and Business Migration Program.

We look forward to receiving the skill assessment.

Does this seem fairly positive to you?

Hi,

I have just received this email. I think it's fairly positive as it isn't a rejection.

I failed my assessment because I don't report to the CEO. However, I am appealing next week and have hopefully got sufficient evidence that they will approve me. Fingers tightly crossed!!

Thank you for the application for Victorian Government nomination under the 176 - Sponsored visa scheme.

To be eligible for skilled migration, applicants will need to have their skills assessed by the Australian Institute of Management (AIM). Visit the AIM website for details on gaining the assessment: www.aim.com.au

The Skilled and Business Migration Program will hold the application open for three months to enable you to complete the registration process. Once you receive the assessment, email a scanned copy to the Skilled and Business Migration Program.

Well, there are two opinions about the situation.

Opinion 1: The Industry Panel (IP) approved your case and hence as and when the skills assessment is submitted, SS would follow.

Opinion 2: CV hasn't been forwarded to IP yet, and hence, it neither is positive sign nor is negative. If skills assessment is provided within the time frame (3 months), CV would be evaluated by IP and then a decision is taken.

Take your pick! :wink:

Edit dt. 15.05.11: It turned out Vic asks for skills assessment only as the last step in the approval process, and hence as and when the skills assessment is submitted, SS comes along (edited to help future Vic SS applicants)

armandra!

Guest la la
Well, there are two opinions about the situation.

Opinion 1: The Industry Panel (IP) approved your case and hence as and when the skills assessment is submitted, SS would follow.

Opinion 2: CV hasn't been forwarded to IP yet, and hence, it neither is positive sign nor is negative. If skills assessment is provided within the time frame (3 months), CV would be evaluated by IP and then a decision is taken.

Take your pick! :wink:

armandra!

Good point armandra.

I was hoping that having applied early Nov then surely by now they could have made a decision. Have you heard of others with this response, and if so what was their outcome after submitting a positive assessment?

I can't say that I had given up, but after hanging on for too long I re-focused on living!

I had better not get my hopes up ! :confused:

la la

Guest mada07

It's 15th April today. It surely that VIC can't finish all application and delay will go on and on. How long do we have to wait for? I think the space left is nearly empty, so the longer we wait, the less hope there is. However, I can't stop thinking about this.:sad:

Good point armandra.

I was hoping that having applied early Nov then surely by now they could have made a decision. Have you heard of others with this response, and if so what was their outcome after submitting a positive assessment?

I can't say that I had given up, but after hanging on for too long I re-focused on living!

la la

la la,

I haven't come across at this type of cases till date. Previously (in 2009) Vic used to send conditional approvals with time frame to submit skills assessment or IELTS. May be since SMP places are worth in platinum, they came up with this.

Me too in the same boat, waiting for ACS skills assessment. So, fingers and toes crossed :wink:

armandra!

It's 15th April today. It surely that VIC can't finish all application and delay will go on and on. How long do we have to wait for? I think the space left is nearly empty, so the longer we wait, the less hope there is. However, I can't stop thinking about this.:sad:

mada07,

Ha ha ha, I guess the April 15th scenario was more of a guideline than a deadline, as such :jiggy:

armandra!

Guest mada07
mada07,

Ha ha ha, I guess the April 15th scenario was more of a guideline than a deadline, as such :jiggy:

armandra!

Yes, and I guess this scenario was well known more among our applicants than VIC's staff. Maybe they even never heard of that.:biglaugh:

Guest mada07

News from Chinese forum, two guys just got 176 SS from VIC. One guy is 261111(SAP)+F500 , and he also got Qld 176 SS today.

Hi,

My friend got a similar email as she din't have her skills assessment ready. She emailed her skill assessment about 2 weeks later and got her state sponsorship in 3 days.

I say get ready for the celebration :)

All the best!!

Hi,

To be eligible for ...

I believe it is positive La La. You better get the assessment & send them as soon :biggrin:

Guest firefly1
Good point armandra.

la la

Hi la la, armandra, soumya,

me too in the same boat.waiting for acs result and got mail from vic asking for it.

its just three weeks since acs received my docs and changed my status to in process.

btw on a different note I ve been trying since to post to this forum.hope this post makes it.

its just three weeks since acs received my docs and changed my status to in process

Is this considered quick or sort of standard. I'd be interested to know how quickly you are assigned a CO.

Regards,

P.

its just three weeks since acs received my docs and changed my status to in process

Is this considered quick or sort of standard. I'd be interested to know how quickly you are assigned a CO.

Regards,

P.

I don't think it actually means you have a CO when the status changes to "In Process":

To Be Allocated: Online app filled in

In Process: Payment and hard copies received by ACS

With Assessor: CO is actually looking at your file

Case Finalised: Done deal

If it means anything, I've seen the status change from "To Be Allocated" to "In Process" within a couple of days for some :yes:

armandra!

Archived