The Golden Rules Of Australia

pominengland

pominengland my family were also immigrants and they were treated badly did that make all brits bad?(and they were invited to work after there was a shortage in the british workforce)

You cannot tar all 19 million odd people with the same brush same as my family could /did not do that to all the british population.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest31881
The problem is people tell you there is plenty of work here and none in the UK, both statements are wrong. There are lots of jobs in certain areas here (mostly mining areas) and there are no jobs in certain areas in the UK. It is the constant misinformation I read on here that annoys me, mostly from people who don't even live here to know what it is like day to day. Dont forget Christi that utilities are much cheaper here, I read it on PIO so it must be right, I hate to think what some must be paying in the UK if they are much cheaper here.

To be honest I think the biggest problem is people who will not listen to others, who feel that if they are contradicted the other person must be wrong. They do not feel that anyone has a right to an opinion except themselves. They are also very good at winding people up by quoting various comments they use and then reporting a member for striking back. Oh and if another member quote's actual figures that they pay either here or in the UK then they must be liars, But you cant call them that, so lets just pretend they are idiots who do not know what they are talking about and use a bit of sarcasm to have a go at them, and if you get lucky they could respond and they can again be reported. My pet hate is people who feel they have the right to wind other members up and try to get them reported. To me it is a form of Bullying.

Ok apologies rant over... :wink: Must put a smiley face, then I can claim its just in fun.

To be honest I think the biggest problem is people who will not listen to others, who feel that if they are contradicted the other person must be wrong. They do not feel that anyone has a right to an opinion except themselves. They are also very good at winding people up by quoting various comments they use and then reporting a member for striking back. Oh and if another member quote's actual figures that they pay either here or in the UK then they must be liars, But you cant call them that, so lets just pretend they are idiots who do not know what they are talking about and use a bit of sarcasm to have a go at them, and if you get lucky they could respond and they can again be reported. My pet hate is people who feel they have the right to wind other members up and try to get them reported. To me it is a form of Bullying.

Ok apologies rant over... :wink: Must put a smiley face, then I can claim its just in fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself !

Cal x

Guest guest36762

What's this, a mothers meeting?

It's all a bit off topic tbh

I might need to report all 3 of you:biggrin:

but then again, who's left that I can trust?:wink:

Guest guest30038

Exactly. The moment the "rose-tinted brigade" contradict generalisations by quoting their experiences, they are accused of ganging up, being cliquey, and/or stupid/blind to not "see" what is happening in Australia.

I don't for a minute doubt others' bad experiences, but why, when contradicted that it isn't everyone's, are we actually accused of being liars and cliquey and seeing through rose tinted specs?

IMHO, it's those with the bad experiences who "gang up" and/or deny others' positive experiences. It's almost as if they have to do this to affirm that they have indeed had bad experiences and it is always Oz or Aussies to blame for them. A sort of "if this has happened to me, then it must be the same for everyone, and those who say that they are happy are in denial". I don't deny their poor experiences so why the feck should they deny my, and other members good, and generalise about the whole of Oz and Aussies:rolleyes: :arghh:

kev

Guest northbankdaveey

wow this thread has really gone on and lots of opinions have bounced around. Personally i agree with alot of what steve and pom in england say. I came out here in 2005, the wife is aussie (still love her though, for this small fault lol) she wanted to be with her family, i was mixed about coming, but thought it would be a experience good or bad, you can take something from it. I must say being a immigrant has really opened my eyes. The constant daily abuse (always meant in fun though, added at the end) has got on my nerves.

I find that the younger generation have been alot more open in their attitude to us the old enemy, and found young blokes i worked with to be more friendly. I must say in my opinion only , in all the places i have worked i find that australian bosses expect a lot more work, very olden day values, really push you, and yet have found aussie workers to be real slackers, but this is only my small experience.

I remember one previous job, i had i went to wash my hands at the end of the day, and my manager walked into the toilets , someone had done a rather stinky number two, i was cleaning up and he yelled in his dulcet classy aussie tone " streuth someone givin birth to a pom in here!" i told him he was a small mindeded biggotted convict and hastily added only joking though mate dont take it serious,. he got all humpy and walked out, and from then on i always have given it back to them lol, as norman stanley fletcher said " dont let the b****rds grind you down"

when germany spanked the aussies in the world cup, my last boss came running over that mornig as he knew i loved real football (not soccer) and he said "did you see the match this morning" i went no i didnt i saw some really funny comedy,i havent laughed so much in ages, oh hang on it was the aussies trying to play proper football, he got all upset about that.

Anyway i had to rush home in july this year as my mother passed away, i was meant to see here before she died, and of course my boss didnt want me to go, even though i hadnt had any holiday for over 3 years, i missed my mum got there 2 days late, anyway kept in touch with my boss, i had to wait 3 weeks for the funeral, didnt know this till i got to england, told the boss he was ok, anyway week after my mums funeral , my dad died to, was devistated, still am really, anyhow, informed the the boss wasnt sure when i would be back, as now had dads funeral to deal with and to clear their house that they had for over 40 years, he told me "no worries your job is safe" so in october i eventually returned to isolated perth, went and saw my boss and he told me i had no job, wasnt to pleased, but hey what do you expect, and with all what i have been through, just gotta move on.

so now i have decided i love england to much miss my friends and remaining family, and i want to go home, so i am going back for good, to quote take that, lol. i really good berate the aussies but whats the point, i ma going to take how i have been treated and have a better understanding of immigrants in the uk, be warm and friendly to them unless they are aussies of course... then i will give them hell lol:jiggy:

Guest guest32776
I lived in Australia for 5 1/2 years from 2002-7, 2 years of that was in Sydney and the remainder was in the Gold Coast, working as a carpenter. I came to the conclusion that Australia was a lovely country, but my perception of it was spoilt by the attitude of a significant number of people towards English people. I was left with the impression that whatever you do, they are not interested in you as a person and they don't care what you are capable of professionally. They just don't want you in their country and that's that. Also, they blow you away with friendliness when they are taking your money, but completely ostracise you otherwise. During my time there, the only friends I made were other migrants. These people were lovely, but I also wanted to integrate with the Aussies, but that was impossible. They just don't regards pommies as fellow human beings. So here are my golden rules for anyone who is interested

1. They are friendly, but they don't want to be your friend

2. They are desperate for workers, but they would rather leave the post unfilled than give it to a pom.

Now, I appreciate that some of you have wonderful lives in Australia, great jobs and are valued by your Aussie friends and employer. So this post won't make any sense to you. But I get the feeling that there are others out there that may have had a similar experience and i would like to hear from them. This is just my personal experience. Now some of you may say "oh, but he was actually working there". Yes that is true, but i got the feeling that I was only hired because their Aussie mates weren't available. Also, by 2006 it was impossible to find a job that lasted more than a few days, or that actually paid a living wage. In the end I got sick of underemployment and returned to the UK where I had no problem finding work and my social life went from strength to strength. I still like Australia as a country, it's just that there are a significant amount of people with hostile attitudes to make life there in the long term unviable for me. This sticking point and the fear of being excluded from the job market again is preventing me from going back and giving it another shot. What do you all think?

Nice to see such a fiery thread! My experience is probably somewhere inbetween that of the 'Australia is the boll_x' gang (most of whom live in the UK or a small Island off the South Coast) - who pop up like meer cats to vehemently smash any sniff of negativity towards the land of milk and honey... and your own. My OH and I are finding it hard to get interesting, well paid jobs in Cairns - commensurate with our skills and experience - as we are not 'locals'. I have even seen job advertisements stating 'must have lived in the area for 5 years +'. I can't really complain as we have property in the UK which pays for most stuff but I can say as a qualified teacher, with 10 years experience in business and journalism, an MA in economics and an MBA... I am taking a Louis Theroux approach to having to work in a shoe shop to fulfil the criteria for our PR! It's similar for my OH - so many jobs he has the exact experience and skill set for are advertised - yet he almost never hears back. Tough to say whether it is because Cairns has around 11% unemployment and is really struggling financially or whether it is all prejudice - probably a mix.

Guest guest36762

my own experience has been a very positive one

I've never really experienced any unfair discrimination, and I have been treated well by Aussies. My wife is Aussie (and a local girl), so perhaps that earns some 'respect points'

I do get occasional jibes eg about the weather in England, the traffic, the lack of space, and previously the England cricket team. But they're fairly tame (most of them not far off the mark, and they're now 'quiet' about cricket:biggrin:) and luckily I've never had to face outright hostility from anyone here.

Maybe it depends on the type of work you do, and also whether you come out here with a job secured and your qualifications/experience recognised.

I would strongly recommend any future prospective migrants, if possible to have a job in place BEFORE you come out, though I realise that's not always possible.

Guest siamsusie
Nice to see such a fiery thread! My experience is probably somewhere inbetween that of the 'Australia is the boll_x' gang (most of whom live in the UK or a small Island off the South Coast) - who pop up like meer cats to vehemently smash any sniff of negativity towards the land of milk and honey... and your own. My OH and I are finding it hard to get interesting, well paid jobs in Cairns - commensurate with our skills and experience - as we are not 'locals'. I have even seen job advertisements stating 'must have lived in the area for 5 years +'. I can't really complain as we have property in the UK which pays for most stuff but I can say as a qualified teacher, with 10 years experience in business and journalism, an MA in economics and an MBA... I am taking a Louis Theroux approach to having to work in a shoe shop to fulfil the criteria for our PR! It's similar for my OH - so many jobs he has the exact experience and skill set for are advertised - yet he almost never hears back. Tough to say whether it is because Cairns has around 11% unemployment and is really struggling financially or whether it is all prejudice - probably a mix.

:huh:Would this be in reference to Tasmania per se? Girlwizz?:cute:just "playing devil's advocate here" of course!

Guest siamsusie

Northbankdavey, well you have maintained a good sense of humour despite all, and I must say you have had some horrendous experiences with both of your parent's passing:hug: It has to be the hardest form of migration.. sickness and death on the other side of the pond! and your Employer's way of handling it is sickening!!.....and I am so sad to hear your story.

Several of my husband's collegues had "death issues" they had to deal with, one collegue's son was actually murdered in London and the guy was sitting with us having a BBQ at the time.

I watched from a distance at how the wheels were quickly put into motion by the company and was inordinately impressed how they secured the couple fully paid up lst class return air tickets, hotels, and insurmountable amount of paid leave without a question.

I guess there are companies and collegues that just know how to behave and others that in my opinion are uneducated and not worthy in having good employees.

The tides will turn they always do!

Very best wishes in your future plans :wubclub:Susie

Guest guest32776
:huh:Would this be in reference to Tasmania per se? Girlwizz?:cute:just "playing devil's advocate here" of course!

This is getting a bit like Single White Female.....

Speaking as an Australian who feels like a foreigner when here, have been doing a contract working with variety of Oz PR colleagues from Europe, America and Asia, in Melbourne, supposedly Australia's most "progressive" city.

One stated, and many agreed that e.g. if at a dinner party, do not bring up the subject of Aborigines (and I would add refugees) as many seemingly normal Australians may tend to start dribbling at the mouth :no:

Guest siamsusie
This is getting a bit like Single White Female.....

"Meer cats" are not indiginous to Tasmania! just clarifying certain points, seeing you mentioned it!:wubclub:

Guest guest32776
"Meer cats" are not indiginous to Tasmania! just clarifying certain points, seeing you mentioned it!:wubclub:

I don't think anyone is under the impression meer cats are indigenous, or even indiginous to Tasmania!!!

Guest northbankdaveey

thanks susie, so much :) have to try and keep smiling, Australia is a beautiful country, my heart just isnt herer now, and after all the support from old friends back in blighty i just want to be home , so i am going to make it happen, i ended up being stuck in uk for 3 months as i rushed over on one way ticket as i had to struggle to get money together luckily my tax return had come :) and once there i struggled to get oneway ticket back to oz, i have some great memories from oz like whale watching which was one of the greatest experiences in my life. I think everything we go through helps us as people in the long run good or bad, many thanks and kindest regards dave :)

Guest siamsusie
thanks susie, so much :) have to try and keep smiling, Australia is a beautiful country, my heart just isnt herer now, and after all the support from old friends back in blighty i just want to be home , so i am going to make it happen, i ended up being stuck in uk for 3 months as i rushed over on one way ticket as i had to struggle to get money together luckily my tax return had come :) and once there i struggled to get oneway ticket back to oz, i have some great memories from oz like whale watching which was one of the greatest experiences in my life. I think everything we go through helps us as people in the long run good or bad, many thanks and kindest regards dave :)

:notworthy: For your great attitude Davey!

love Susie x

Guest northbankdaveey

Thanks guys, i am fairly new here, wish i had found this website alot earlier, it is amazing and very helpful kind people on here. Well i will be on here abit now as gathering info for shipping goods and car and trying to get my wife a spouse visa again for uk should be easier this time round, i hope i never offend with my opinions and hope i never come across negative about Oz, great beautiful country, just not home for me, i am just a simple essex country boy :) so hugs for all :)

Guest siamsusie
Thanks guys, i am fairly new here, wish i had found this website alot earlier, it is amazing and very helpful kind people on here. Well i will be on here abit now as gathering info for shipping goods and car and trying to get my wife a spouse visa again for uk should be easier this time round, i hope i never offend with my opinions and hope i never come across negative about Oz, great beautiful country, just not home for me, i am just a simple essex country boy :) so hugs for all :)

You are most welcome Davey and exciting times for you. Welcome to Pio by the way:wubclub:

I enclose a link which might be of interest to you.. this has given support to Australians going the other way Davey.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/88920-uk-spouse-settlement-visa.html

Do let us know of your progress !:notworthy: Susie x

Guest guest30038

Mate, you're a breath of fresh air. All the best on your return.

kev

I have even seen job advertisements stating 'must have lived in the area for 5 years +'.

This would suggest that they have had too many cases of employees treating Cairns as a short term working holiday in the tropics and they're sick of it.

Guest guest36187

Following discussion with 2 other mods , the decision was taken to close this thread. We have had 20 odd pages of good discussion but now are going in circles!!

Thank you to all for contributing to the thread.

Archived