Criminal record and getting a visa

nik_kershaw

Guest siamsusie
Hi everyone, I have a friend who has asked me about if he will be able to move over here with a small criminal record. He has Criminal damage and threatening behaviour (he took a clamp that was placed on his car off)

whould that stop him from being able to move over?

I would imagine the Australians would love that story....:notworthy: he will be fine! I would love to work in Immigration just to hear the stories:cute: love Susie

NB on a more serious note, I would advise total declaration to DIAC and on Aircraft Arrival cards. x

Guest guest36187

Im sure he will be fine but please bear in mind that we are posters and not immigration officials/experts. If at all concerned he should get some advice from an agent.

he will have no worries, immigration shows concerns only when a prison sentence is above 12 months, but if any convictions are not disclosed even the smallest of conviction that carried only a slap on the wrist and not acknowledged to immigration and they find out,as they do

when they receive your police records, it then means you are not of good character for telling porkies and could be refused a visa always best to be honest

Here is the official word from the DIAC website:

The character test

A person will fail the character test where:

• they have a
    substantial criminal record
  • they have, or have had, an
    association
    with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct

• having regard to the person's
    past and present criminal conduct
    , the person is found not to be of good character

• having regard to the person's
    past and present general conduct
    , the person is found to be not of good character

• there is a
    significant risk
    that the person will
    engage in criminal conduct
    in Australia,
    harass, molest, intimidate or stalk
    another person in Australia, vilify a segment of the Australian community, or
    incite discord
    in the Australian community or in a segment of that community, or
    represent a danger
    to the Australian community or a segment of that community.

See:
    Fact Sheet 78
    - Controversial Visa Applicants

Substantial criminal records

A person is deemed to have a
substantial criminal record
if they have been:

• sentenced to either death or life imprisonment
  • sentenced to a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more

• sentenced to two or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is two years or more

• acquitted of an offence on the grounds of either unsoundness of mind or insanity and, as a result, the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

Put simply, unless you've spent more than a year in prison or have an extensive criminal record you should be okay.

Archived